Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's happened to the giving spirit?

chaostrom

I'd like to share a little story from "The 30th Anniversary Reader's Digest Reader" from 1951.

The Vanishing American

Some years ago, during the depression, a government agent traveled through the Tennessee Mountains making small allotments to impoverished farmers for seed, stock or needed improvements. He found one woman who lived alone, scratching out a bare living on two acres of barren ground. "If the government should allot you $200, what would you do with it?" he asked her. The woman thought for a moment. Her cabin had no floor, its windows were covered with tar paper, light came through the broken walls. Finally, she looked up. "Reckon I'd give it to the poor," she said.

-F. Emerson Andrews in The Atlantic Monthly

Also, I understand from an article I read sometime back (I can't remember the source...) that although Africa is comprised of many nations, it is generally spoken of as one country because most are suffering from poverty. The reason being that when one country receives aid, they share it with the neighbouring countries, thus they remain poor and hungry, and that much Africa will remain so until the entire continent becomes wealthier. It beings to mind a quote:

"A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog"

-Jack London (1876 - 1916)

Now, the point I wish to make is, despite all the so-called "progress" people brag about, despite the fact religion is more wide spread than ever, despite the fact most feel superior to those in less than ideal circumstances and look down at the people of the past, as far as personality and character goes the people of today seem less than the people of Africa, less than the tribal people of a by-gone age. Why is that? Why is it that humanity has proved itself to be capable of being the least humane? Why is it that despite we're living longer, we are not as wise? Why is it that we have more wealth than ever before, yet are less charitable than ever before? Why is it that the more and more I look, that contrary to what most believe, human beings are not at their core good, but rather the opposite? Why do we have more paedophiles, more homeless people, more orphans, more diseases now than we have before? Despite the fact that cavemen are viewed as stupid and brutal, at least they did not let a fellow human go without food and shelter! Not unless they went without themselves! (Except, quite probably, when they were at war). Why is it things are more screwed up today, and more and more so with every passing day? This is a challenge I throw down to any, be they religious or atheist, believer or skeptic, any who believe that humans are, in general, full of goodness deep down, a believe as illogical and unreasonable as Abraham's God, pink unicorns and what have you as far as I'm concerned. If the majority of humans truly were good such age old problems such as poverty should have been fixed long ago. We have the technology and the wealth to make it possible. Why hasn't it been done?

Edited by chaostrom

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaostrom

• MissMelsWell

• telirium

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to share a little story from "The 30th Anniversary Reader's Digest Reader" from 1951.

Also, I understand from an article I read sometime back (I can't remember the source...) that although Africa is comprised of many nations, it is generally spoken of as one country because most are suffering from poverty. The reason being that when one country receives aid, they share it with the neighbouring countries, thus they remain poor and hungry, and that much Africa will remain so until the entire continent becomes wealthier. It beings to mind a quote:

"A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog"

-Jack London (1876 - 1916)

Now, the point I wish to make is, despite all the so-called "progress" people brag about, despite the fact religion is more wide spread than ever, despite the fact most feel superior to those in less than ideal circumstances and look down at the people of the past, as far as personality and character goes the people of today seem less than the people of Africa, less than the tribal people of a by-gone age. Why is that? Why is it that humanity has proved itself to be capable of being the least humane? Why is it that despite we're living longer, we are not as wise? Why is it that we have more wealth than ever before, yet are less charitable than ever before? Why is it that the more and more I look, that contrary to what most believe, human beings are not at their core good, but rather the opposite? Why do we have more paedophiles, more homeless people, more orphans, more diseases now than we have before? Despite the fact that cavemen are viewed as stupid and brutal, at least they did not let a fellow human go without food and shelter! Not unless they went without themselves! (Except, quite probably, when they were at war). Why is it things are more screwed up today, and more and more so with every passing day? This is a challenge I throw down to any, be they religious or atheist, believer or skeptic, any who believe that humans are, in general, full of goodness deep down, a believe as illogical and unreasonable as Abraham's God, pink unicorns and what have you as far as I'm concerned. If the majority of humans truly were good such age old problems such as poverty should have been fixed long ago. We have the technology and the wealth to make it possible. Why hasn't it been done?

It's a good thought chaostrom, and I wish more people gave more thought to what they can do to help others who need it.

When I chose my faith some time ago, that choice came with a price (or a joy, in my opinion) of living simply. I make a great living wage and my living expenses are low. More than half of what I make goes to charity, and it is NOT funneled through my church. I am extremely careful about who I give to though. There are SO many charletans out there that it's difficult to choose something that is truly a good cause.

In my case, I've chosen to give a good majority of what I make to 3 charities--this also includes my TIME as well as my money. I am very active in an endowment at a childrens hospital and our endowment is dedicated to uncompensated care issues, meaning we provide healthcare to kids and families that can't afford it. This is my major focus. On a smaller scale, I also work with another endowment that assists teen parents (this is mostly a time cause counseling young women and men on career options), and my third charity is a downtown mission/soup kitchen that helped a family member of mine at one time.

I feel like I'm doing as much as I can at this time, most people in my position aren't interested in giving up more than half of their wages. I feel I have extra, I have a comfortable house and life, although it's MUCH (drastically) less than I could afford. I'd like to see more folks take on this kind of lifestyle, it's far more comfortable than most would imagine. In fact, my slim lifestyle is quite liberating for me, and it helps other people.

Edited by MissMelsWell

two words: population explosion. with almost 7 billion people living on this planet, people simply do not give a damn anymore about who goes hungry, who is without shelter, etc. for the simple fact that they think someone else will pick up the slack and correct these problems(if they care at all). unfortunately we live in a time of laziness, where people are more concerned about themselves than others who are in less fortunate circumstances. its a shame humans live like this. :(