Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman with "Visions" Amazes Detective

pallidin

Powers says Ragland and her children came to the house without knowing it was the boy's, walked on to the property and right to the partially buried body.

Powers says he searched the area previously without seeing it. He says the situation is "extremely bizarre" and he's "blown away."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/12/detective-woman-with-visions-led-to-boy-body/?test=latestnews#ixzz2YpANTzax

I would think that taking police to a body would place you dead center in the investigation.

Indeed, my thoughts also, and I'm sure that will be looked at.

Let's hope, for the sake of possible evidence of the paranormal, that she is in no way connected to the murder.

• Like 8

Yeah... if forensics confirm it was there when Powers visited it, then okay, it's bizarre, but dont count out the other possibility.

The mother said he was autistic and the father said he was a normal kid. What's that about? Since they arrested the step brother wonder if they will be looking at the mother.

The police work with physics more than you think and sometimes they are very helpful.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 4

It is confirmation bias, nothing more. The thousands of cases where she guessed wrong are ignored, now once she has a lucky hit, and voila, it must be a miraculous power.

That is how religionists believe in miracles. Ridiculous.

• Like 4

Indeed, my thoughts also, and I'm sure that will be looked at.

Let's hope, for the sake of possible evidence of the paranormal, that she is in no way connected to the murder.

Rather lets hope they find out how she was connected and wash away any idea of the paranormal as should be.

The police work with physics more than you think and sometimes they are very helpful.

Maybe Physics, but not Psychics :)

"We discovered that the work of the psychics was not just ludicrous and laughable. it was sinister and evil....None of it ever led anywhere except to despair and disappointment, misery and confusion." --John Tate, father of
who disappeared in 1978 (quoted in
Investigating the Unexplained
, p. 42)

A psychic detective (PD) is an alleged

psychic who offers to help law enforcement agencies solve crimes.

In their book, The Blue Sense: Psychic Detectives and Crime, Arthur Lyons and Marcello Truzzi list many reasons people without any psychic powers gain a reputation for assisting in the detection of crime. In many cases, most of the evidence in favor of the psychic detective is provided to the mass media by the psychic rather than by an independent source. The mass media are rarely critical or skeptical of the claims of psychics. For example, alleged psychic detective

Sylvia Browne has declared many times that she has used her psychic powers to solve crimes, yet it is rare to see her challenged as she was by Brill's Content.

Brill's Content has examined ten recent Montel Williams programs that highlighted Browne's work as a psychic detective (as opposed to her ideas about "the afterlife," for example), spanning 35 cases. In 21, the details were too vague to be verified. Of the remaining 14, law-enforcement officials or family members involved in the investigations say that Browne had played no useful role.

"These guys don't solve cases, and the media consistently gets it wrong," says Michael Corn, an investigative producer for "Inside Edition" who produced a story last May debunking psychic detectives. Moreover, the FBI and the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children maintain that to their knowledge, psychic detectives have never helped solve a single missing-person case..."Zero. They go on TV and I see how things go and what they claim but no, zero," says FBI agent Chris Whitcomb. "They may be remarkable in other ways, but the FBI does not use them"...............................More : http://www.skepdic.com/psychdet.html

Another good read:

Mass Media Funk

criminal profiling: cold reading for cold cases

November 15, 2007. Psychologist

Ray Hyman tells the story of how he got interested in the psychology of self-deception. He was a college student, earning money as a palm reader. He'd read several books on the art but didn't believe any of it. He got so much positive feedback from his customers, however, that he started to think that maybe he did have psychic powers. The self-deception didn't last long, however. In an interview with Michael Shermer, Ray explained:.....................

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 4

Rather lets hope they find out how she was connected and wash away any idea of the paranormal as should be.

Good. I'm OK with that too, though for myself I do believe in the paranormal.

I will "debunk", as there is a lot of crap out there, but I am not a 100% debunker, at all. And this case seems appealing and worthy of further investigation of her.

I know that news changes very quickly anymore, but I hope that some type of full follow-up is done on her "visions", either to established fraud, complicity or whatever, or, to establish that this might actually be one of those rare, truly unexplainable events.

As fast as the news changes though, this might be the last we hear of her(other than a repeat in court of her discovery, of course)

But I hope we do hear more, much more, about her and this murder case.

Would be rather sad for the believing paranormal community if this is just filed away.

• Like 2

I wish she would come and find my odd socks

• Like 3

I will "debunk", as there is a lot of crap out there, but I am not a 100% debunker, at all. And this case seems appealing and worthy of further investigation of her.

I know that news changes very quickly anymore, but I hope that some type of full follow-up is done on her "visions", either to established fraud, complicity or whatever, or, to establish that this might actually be one of those rare, truly unexplainable events.

As fast as the news changes though, this might be the last we hear of her(other than a repeat in court of her discovery, of course)

But I hope we do hear more, much more, about her and this murder case.

Would be rather sad for the believing paranormal community if this is just filed away.

I am a practicing Catholic and as such I very much believe in the paranormal. I agree that there is a lot of crap out there with regard to this subject and it can be difficult to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I firmly believe, however, that there are a few people in the world with extraordinary psychic gifts and I wonder how many are aware of the remarkable talents of the American psychic Dixie Yeterian. Without the need to say any more I recommend watching the documentary at the following link. Her story is a truly remarkable one indeed: http://easylink.playstream.com/dixiey/dixie.wvx

How horribly sad... I really feel for the father of the boy who just wanted to bring him back home.

• Like 1

Thanks, and believe me I will eat the crow if you can prove any paranormal true. :)

So true, i think it makes me more skeptic when I see all this garbage ghost hunters and total scam physic's

I definitely hope for an update. I can foresee some story where this person interacted with someone who leaked the info (location)

The detective, John Powers, found it "extremely bizarre". Really? And really now, those that think that this psychic may be the killer: Are you for real? Everyone has the potential for such intuitive/psychic awareness. Just because you're in denial of your own deeper abilities, please don't "shoot the messenger". Get a life and stop scoffing at the grander universal truths. Instead of "blaming or discounting her", you should be ashamed at your own inadequacy in this department.

Why do people want 100 % performance from them with insight ? No one can maintain that no matter who or what you do in life . So she had a hit . Let her have her moment .

• Like 1

http://www.nbclosang...-215168941.html

So,

The police did NOT confirm she did find the body.

Also, She didn't find the body.

Her story is she asked to checked the area and saw the fence, he kids went snooping and found the shallow grave.

So question my is this, did she really have a vision or went snooping? Her story didn't mention a detective either like the first article that started this thread.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1

http://www.nbclosang...-215168941.html

So,

Her story is she asked to checked the area and saw the fence, he kids went snooping and found the shallow grave.

So question my is this, did she really have a vision or went snooping? Her story didn't mention a detective either like the first article that started this thread.

It looks like only one officer has made the claims as opposed to an 'official statement' claiming she helped. All of the interviews are her making the claims, not the police.

I really do not see this as anything more than another psychic trying to take credit for other peoples work. It would be amazing if she did discover the body after a vision, but I think if it was that black and white she would be on the Police pay roll by now.

Really? And really now, those that think that this psychic may be the killer: Are you for real? Everyone has the potential for such intuitive/psychic awareness. Just because you're in denial of your own deeper abilities, please don't "shoot the messenger". Get a life and stop scoffing at the grander universal truths. Instead of "blaming or discounting her", you should be ashamed at your own inadequacy in this department.

Ooooh touched a nerve? ;)

Welcome to UM Donald. :)

Edited by Junior Chubb

I guess she didn't do it.

• 2 months later...

That is how religionists believe in miracles. Ridiculous.

For your own education you would do well to read up on the miracle at Fatima, in Portugal, that occurred in the year 1917 and that was witnessed by approx. 70,000 people including atheists and sceptics. There certainly wasn't anything ridiculous about the fact that every person there who was sick or handicapped in any way was instantly cured and atheists were converted to the Catholic faith. Ridiculous? :no:

• Like 1

For your own education you would do well to read up on the miracle at Fatima, in Portugal, that occurred in the year 1917 and that was witnessed by approx. 70,000 people including atheists and sceptics. There certainly wasn't anything ridiculous about the fact that every person there who was sick or handicapped in any way was instantly cured and atheists were converted to the Catholic faith. Ridiculous?

Citation needed.
  • Like 3