Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Britain is losing war against internet crime

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,734 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

The Guardian said:

Britain is too complacent about the war against internet crime, which it is losing, a committee of MPs said on Tuesday.

In a wide-ranging report, the Commons home affairs committee said that internet crime, or e-crime, is now more valuable than the drugs industry; that sentences are too low; and that a "black hole" in the system allowed minor e-crime to be committed with impunity.

The MPs said the police should be given more training and resources to deal with the problem, and that a state-of-the-art espionage response team should be set up to help companies respond to cyber-attacks.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,279 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

i think its a load of rubbish, and why, one name MP Keith Vaz, i detest the man and everything he stands for. and as for it being more dangerous or threat than a nuclear attack. - dont you think hes going for headline grabbing, sensationalism. - As for Cyber crime when it comes to the Government we have GCHQ spying on us all, both home and abroad. if it was costing the economy millions or billions you can bet the government would be all over it, like flies on poo.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#3    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yeah that's right, cyber-crime doesn't exist because you don't like one of our idiot politicians.

Posted Image

#4    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,279 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostJamieSymptom, on 31 July 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

Yeah that's right, cyber-crime doesn't exist because you don't like one of our idiot politicians.

im glad you agree he's a idiot - okay it exists, the threat is more dangerous than a nuclear threat. lets all believe keith vaz, its costing the country millions, no billions. the article doesn't even hold water. we have GCHQ the government listening post monitoring everything. all sorts of cyber attacks. lets close the Internet down, to something similar to what we see in china. because a hacker or two attack palpay and prevent their service for a few hours. costing 30 million dollars, a figure they estimate, its not like these hackers pocketed 30 million becoming instant millionaires. - e-crime. so serious the government doesn't even bother.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#5    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,810 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:02 AM

People should be educated how to properly use a computer before getting on one. People severely underestimate how linked one is to our lives and the impact it can have if you don't know what you're doing.

I got an old woman come into my work a couple weeks ago telling me about someone from Microsoft calling her to tell her that she had a virus and walked her through some steps. I always hear of people falling for phishing emails. I always hear about people getting viruses and not knowing how to get rid of them. Other poorly implemented store websites with an abundance of exploits.

#6    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 31 July 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

im glad you agree he's a idiot - okay it exists, the threat is more dangerous than a nuclear threat. lets all believe keith vaz, its costing the country millions, no billions. the article doesn't even hold water. we have GCHQ the government listening post monitoring everything. all sorts of cyber attacks. lets close the Internet down, to something similar to what we see in china. because a hacker or two attack palpay and prevent their service for a few hours. costing 30 million dollars, a figure they estimate, its not like these hackers pocketed 30 million becoming instant millionaires. - e-crime. so serious the government doesn't even bother.

Well, I think you are using a very narrow definition of "cyber-crime" in your thoughts.
A few things to consider :-

The threat of nuclear attack is not very much at all, quite unlikely. I would consider many things to be more of a threat to our security than that.
Cyber criminals are pretty much the mafia, organised crime families run scams, phishing attacks, selling illegal goods all over the internet and they make billions from it. A lot of that is siphoned from big companies, a lot of it comes from unsuspecting members of the public. It does cause a lot of financial damage, and these guys get rich.
GCHQ can easily monitor our unencrypted internet traffic. They can't when encryption and proxies are being used. This is what the criminals use.
The "disruptive behaviour" type of cyber-attack, like DDOS-ing Paypal is done by pranksters like anonymous, but also potentially by corporate sabotage or even political sabotage from overseas.There is the potential for these attacks to seriously damage companies earnings, make them go out of business, or infiltrate them to spy on their online users.
The government has been fairly lax on dealing with e-crime. That is a bad situation. This report aims to put the case for remedying the situation. No problem.

And most politicians are idiots, on the rare occasions they get policies right, it's because they took the advice of someone who isn't an idiot...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users