Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Rare protests in Saudi Arabia


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,102 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

USA Today said:


Families of political prisoners in Saudi Arabia have been doing what was once unthinkable in this kingdom and holding small protests outside prisons and government buildings to demand the release of inmates, some of whom have been held without charges for years.

Detentions without trial are a common practice in the Arab Middle East but have gained new notoriety as as motivating factor behind the Arab Spring uprisings that have swept the region.

While none suggests an uprising is in the offing in Saudi Arabia, the recent protests there were a rare phenomenon in one of the most tightly policed countries in the world.

Read more


A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

    Often Unsatisfactory

  • Member
  • 23,827 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hammerfest

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

heh, do you think the U.S. Govt. will be calling for the House of Saud to be overthrown?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#3    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,102 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

View Post747400, on 29 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

heh, do you think the U.S. Govt. will be calling for the House of Saud to be overthrown?

Most likely not, most of the Saudi oil is in a region predominantly inhabited by Shi'ite.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,390 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

Oh no!  Send more money to the Sauds immediately, US taxpayers, so they can pacify their angry people with our money (they like that)!

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,215 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

I don't blame those people for being upset with the regime.  I wish them luck on their venture and hope they get some results.  Saudi Arabia is one of the most repressive regimes in the world.  I bet if we knew the whole truth about what goes on there we would be sickened.


#6    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,390 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostHilander, on 29 September 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

I don't blame those people for being upset with the regime.  I wish them luck on their venture and hope they get some results.  Saudi Arabia is one of the most repressive regimes in the world.  I bet if we knew the whole truth about what goes on there we would be sickened.
I don't blame these people either, why would we?   I don't know the whole truth and I'm already sickened.   We're in the US, we're propping this regime up.  I don't know how not to be sickened about that.   Remember the newspapers after 9/11?   "Why do they hate us?"   Remember Dubya's BS answer?    This is the real reason why people of the Middle East hate us.   We empower and enable repressive regimes they have to put up with.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,215 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostYamato, on 29 September 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

I don't blame these people either, why would we?   I don't know the whole truth and I'm already sickened.   We're in the US, we're propping this regime up.  I don't know how not to be sickened about that.   Remember the newspapers after 9/11?   "Why do they hate us?"   Remember Dubya's BS answer? This is the real reason why people of the Middle East hate us.   We empower and enable repressive regimes they have to put up with.
Well we could stop buying oil from them.  This winter when your cold, your gas and food bill is three times as high we can think what a good thing it is that we stopped buying their oil.  That's the problem.  We need a different form of energy or we are always going to be dealing with some repressive regime.

Why would we? Why are you asking me that question?  I have no reason to blame them for what they are doing.  I wouldn't want to live in a country that would chop your head off for cheating or won't let a woman drive or the other horrible things that is done to people.  The Saudi people are going to have to change that.  The Saudis will sell their oil even if its not to us.  China is consuming more all the time.  Even if the regime changes who is to say it will be for the better because Saudi law is based on Islamic law.

Edited by Hilander, 30 September 2012 - 01:06 AM.


#8    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 30,138 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary Alberta Canada

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

View PostYamato, on 29 September 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

I don't blame these people either, why would we?   I don't know the whole truth and I'm already sickened.   We're in the US, we're propping this regime up.  I don't know how not to be sickened about that.   Remember the newspapers after 9/11?   "Why do they hate us?"   Remember Dubya's BS answer? This is the real reason why people of the Middle East hate us.   We empower and enable repressive regimes they have to put up with.

agreed

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.


The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#9    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,390 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostHilander, on 30 September 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

Well we could stop buying oil from them.  This winter when your cold, your gas and food bill is three times as high we can think what a good thing it is that we stopped buying their oil.  That's the problem.  We need a different form of energy or we are always going to be dealing with some repressive regime.

Why would we? Why are you asking me that question?  I have no reason to blame them for what they are doing.  I wouldn't want to live in a country that would chop your head off for cheating or won't let a woman drive or the other horrible things that is done to people.  The Saudi people are going to have to change that.  The Saudis will sell their oil even if its not to us.  China is consuming more all the time.  Even if the regime changes who is to say it will be for the better because Saudi law is based on Islamic law.
If someone else will buy their oil in our stead, why should we stop buying it?   They're going to sell it anyway.  We should be buying Iranian oil too if we're going to be consistent.   Thomas Jefferson said 'Commerce with all, Alliance with none'.   There are profound reasons why this is sage advice.   Trade prevents war.   Sanctions cause war because they savage any potential for friendship between countries that could exist, and eventually arms start flowing in place of the vacuum of goods.   Alliances are for small weak countries to make big dumb countries like us serve as the mafia making promises of protection in exchange for money and influence, especially when these strange relationships with our "friends" aren't even bound by treaty.   They can end with a phone call.

How about not arming them before deciding not to trade with them?  

Saudi Arabia was the recipient of the largest arms deal in US history in 2010.  Thank Obama for showing such love.
http://en.wikipedia....to_Saudi_Arabia

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users