Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The things you say, you ever look them up?

Jinxdom

Just out of curiosity, does anybody else do searches on the things they say, think and believe?

Not questions but actual thoughts?

I was bored and decided to look up what I said about guiltless men for instance and I found the book Atlas Shrugged, now that I read it for a little while I realized that I believed a lot of the same things that was written in that book. I didn't even realize that author existed until about an hour ago.

Sometimes I even find actual quotes that are so similar that it is quite creepy. I asked myself what is the difference between genius and insanity and the only answer I could come up with is success. Search for it boom quote said by somebody famous.

Anybody else surprised with whom they share beliefs and ideas with?

maybe you were influenced by some one who has read it and you just didnt realise that was the origin of that thought

• Like 3

Yeah, nothing new under the sun. We are everything we see, hear read and ponder.

• Like 5

maybe you were influenced by some one who has read it and you just didnt realise that was the origin of that thought

Actually might make sense that since I didn't like the whole church ridden guilt thing when I was a kid that it may of popped out like that still a stretch.

So neither one of you ever looked in to the things you yourself said or ever the little bit curious about it?

Here is a quote from Ayn Rand on this exact subject:

You might claim — as most people do — that you have never been influenced by philosophy. I will ask you to check that claim. Have you ever thought or said the following? "Don't be so sure — nobody can be certain of anything." You got that notion from David Hume (and many, many others), even though you might never have heard of him. Or: "This may be good in theory, but it doesn't work in practice." You got that from Plato. Or: "That was a rotten thing to do, but it's only human, nobody is perfect in this world." You got that from Augustine. Or: "It may be true for you, but it's not true for me." You got it from William James. Or: "I couldn't help it! Nobody can help anything he does." You got it from Hegel. Or: "I can't prove it, but I feel that it's true." You got it from Kant. Or: "It's logical, but logic has nothing to do with reality." You got it from Kant. Or: "It's evil, because it's selfish." You got it from Kant. Have you heard the modern activists say: "Act first, think afterward"? They got it from John Dewey.

Some people might answer: "Sure, I've said those things at different times, but I don't have to believe that stuff all of the time. It may have been true yesterday, but it's not true today." They got it from Hegel. They might say: "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." They got it from a very little mind, Emerson. They might say: "But can't one compromise and borrow different ideas from different philosophies according to the expediency of the moment?" They got it from Richard Nixon — who got it from William James.

-http://fare.tunes.org/liberty/library/pwni.html

• Like 3

Actually might make sense that since I didn't like the whole church ridden guilt thing when I was a kid that it may of popped out like that still a stretch.

So neither one of you ever looked in to the things you yourself said or ever the little bit curious about it?

i know my own thoughts and ponder them often, to think that your own thoughts are great is narcissistic, the true worth of your words are revealed when others find them great. like "and then" said, theres nothing new under the sun, altruism makes every one feel guilty.

I think we are all influenced by our surroundings and the people we know. Even if you didn't in the beginning of the relationship with that person or person's you will start to think like them and develop some of the same idea's. I think its human nature.

Genius v insanity? Read Robert M. Pirsig's 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance'

• Like 2

Genius v insanity? Read Robert M. Pirsig's 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance'

Ha! Yes, read it and then watch the film. Classic 60s postmodernism.

Jinx I didn't mean to sound like I was just blowing off your idea - sorry. My point was just that I've always accepted that very little of what I say or write could be considered original. No plagiarism mind you - it's always a synthesis of what I've taken in and then my own ideas blended with it - but even THOSE ideas were at least partially shaped by other input. Come to think of it it IS a very interesting question.... how much of what we think of as "ours" actually IS?
  • Like 1

Oh I know you weren't, which is why I asked another question :P

When I ask a question and then relate it to something about me, I want to hear that same question answered by what other people experienced relating to them, not just some generic answer. We all come to conclusions in a different way and like a teacher I just want people to show their work. If you can't find an answer that your looking for change your way of thinking type thing. Hard to change in a glass jar by yourself.

Come to think of it it IS a very interesting question.... how much of what we think of as "ours" actually IS?

A follow up question I always ask.....is who gets to decide?

Sweet always looking for something new to read or do.

• Like 1

My black Labrador pup will often make noises that has been deemed in this household as 'zombie tea kettle' noises. My husband was so impressed that I came up with it. 'That's funny! Have you heard of that before?' I told him, 'No. He just sounds exactly like a zombie tea kettle would.' (it's like a whine to the highest pitch and then lowers into a hungry zombie grumble.)

My husband googles: Zombie Tea Kettle

And sure enough, you can actually buy a zombie tea kettle.

:w00t:

• Like 1

Jinx I didn't mean to sound like I was just blowing off your idea - sorry. My point was just that I've always accepted that very little of what I say or write could be considered original. No plagiarism mind you - it's always a synthesis of what I've taken in and then my own ideas blended with it - but even THOSE ideas were at least partially shaped by other input. Come to think of it it IS a very interesting question.... how much of what we think of as "ours" actually IS?

So we come to the realisation that we are not ourselfs at all, Only bits of everyone we come in contact with, and everyone they come in contact with, which in turn is influenced by everyone they also come in contact with, Until you go right down in the timeline to finally the birth of verbal communication...

We are all one, interconnect by all that is.

Its not a matter of Who am I?, Its a matter of I am.

Kind Regards,

Me :)

In my art college days,(30 years ago) I was convinced I had come up with the concept of an idea source, accessible to all. Ideas not used would be returned to be used by some one else.

These would show up eventually, providing evidence of my concept.

The thing though was at that point in my life, I had already taken a year of intro to Psychology as a senior in High School and 2 psych classes in college.

Only recently (2009) acquiring a computer and researching Akashic records I realized Carl Jung was big on the idea and I must have picked it up from reading about his works in psychology, then forgot the source.

I will say though, as early as middle school, I figured out on my own to use a grid pattern over an image to easily isolate more manageable aspects of a picture I wished to enlarge (which I later learned a version of this technique was employed during the Renaissance period).

Also the practice that I used to give me ideas as far back as grade school was to scribble and then try to see an image I liked, which I would proceed to elaborate. In college I learned it was a common method in some modern art of the turn of the last century.

• Like 1

i know my own thoughts and ponder them often, to think that your own thoughts are great is narcissistic, the true worth of your words are revealed when others find them great. like "and then" said, theres nothing new under the sun, altruism makes every one feel guilty.

So you can't feel proud by finding out that the things you, yourself, on your own came to the conclusion are close to the people that time and the masses considered as great? You never question yourself at all or where the things from you came from and when you find it gain a willingness to share it? That seems a tad bit more narcissistic then being proud of the things you do and then talking about them. A narcissistic thought would be in your head would be a straight shot comparison of I am greater then you. Which I am not, just using it as an example. Oh the questions aren't just directed towards Armchair, they are for everybody.

• Like 1

So you can't feel proud by finding out that the things you, yourself, on your own came to the conclusion are close to the people that time and the masses considered as great? You never question yourself at all or where the things from you came from and when you find it gain a willingness to share it? That seems a tad bit more narcissistic then being proud of the things you do and then talking about them. A narcissistic thought would be in your head would be a straight shot comparison of I am greater then you. Which I am not, just using it as an example. Oh the questions aren't just directed towards Armchair, they are for everybody.

sorry i was to busy reading my own comments, what did did you say ;)

• Like 1

i look up my ideas all the time to see wether others have them. i had the idea that even tho every one can see colours, that we both might actually see a colour differently even tho we would both be able know the name for that colour. i see blue but when you see blue your actually seeing green but the colour you see as green might be my blue.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, does anybody else do searches on the things they say, think and believe?

Not questions but actual thoughts?

I was bored and decided to look up what I said about guiltless men for instance and I found the book Atlas Shrugged, now that I read it for a little while I realized that I believed a lot of the same things that was written in that book. I didn't even realize that author existed until about an hour ago.

Sometimes I even find actual quotes that are so similar that it is quite creepy. I asked myself what is the difference between genius and insanity and the only answer I could come up with is success. Search for it boom quote said by somebody famous.

Anybody else surprised with whom they share beliefs and ideas with?

You don't know about Ayn Rand.....well lucky you now you do. Her novels are ok, but her other works are better.

doug