Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

A slant on 'souls'


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    Ryu

Ryu

    Born to fail.

  • Member
  • 3,731 posts
  • Joined:17 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Where you'll never find me

  • One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I was thinking about the topic of souls and how so many people believe we all have one.
So I got to thinking,if I am assuming for the moment that souls are real, I still do not think they are individualistic. Meaning that one souls is not differentiated from the next.

So I made an analogy that might help, let's take three household items; a computer, a vacuum cleaner and a mixer.
These objects each have their own functions, take them apart and you will see that their components are vastly different which allows them to perform their jobs.
One can see how each works, the wires, gears, circuits, etc.

However in order for them to function they need power which comes, usually, from a electrical cord which plugs into the wall outlet. The wall outlet supplies the electricity needed to make them work, right?

Now these objects have a sort of transformer, amongst other things, which regulates the power flow so each object doesn't get overloaded or underpowered and as you can tell, a computer cannot do what the vacuum or mixer can do and vice versa nor can you readily exchange parts between them and expect it to work properly.

But what about the electricity that powers them? Is the electricity suddenly different when you use the computer versus the mixer? Nope..it all comes from the same socket. The electricity that flowed through the outlet to power your computer is no different than the electricity that powers the mixer.

So I was thinking that perhaps it is the same thing with this whole 'soul' thing, the "electricity" that allows the body of a mouse to function is no different than the "electricity" that allows the human body to function. Certain components may vary but the power used is the same.
Now whether this "electricity" is separated from other units (bodies) is questionable but "maybe" it is possible for that particular battery (contained electricity) to absorb information and when it is released upon bodily death and returns to the power grid it "may" be possible that when it re-enters another unit (body) that this data might be added to the new body.

Where does this "electricity" come from? I wager it is drawn from the vast cosmological power station, the power is endlessy generated by the movements of planets, stars, black holes and so forth. Like a circle there is no beginning or end and the electricity can go wherever it goes. No commands needed and it need not pray or worship anything it passes. If it happens to be drawn to another planet or star then so be it. If the frequencies it contains are compatible with whatever it comes into contact with then it goes from there, if not then no biggie 'cause it doesn't have the capacity to care.

If you ever played Final Fantasy VII and seen that blurb on the "Life Stream" I suppose that might be applicable in some way.

Or..it could all be just some more esoteric bunkwaddles too....I mean, I just thought this stuff up when I was in bed listening to a cd so...whatever. It's an analogy so take it however you want, it's not like I am saying it is right.


#2    _Only

_Only

  • Member
  • 6,634 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern California

  • Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

One of the definitions of soul in the Merriam Webster is

Quote

a person's total self

or the sum of all your parts. The 'you' behind the curtains of the 'you' you know, which in reality, we know so little of ourselves, as no one really takes the time to truly 'know yourself'. Your core and essence. Call it a spiritual entity, call it your mind, it doesn't matter as much as realizing it is all that you really are. I don't think need for labeling of what a soul actually is is needed after this view.

To feel something in your soul is to feel it with all of your being, to sell your soul is to give away who you are, to bare your soul meaning to bare your inner self to someone, to give something heart and soul is to give your all to someone or something, etc. All those terms having to do with all of 'you'. Your soul.

With this mindset, the soul wouldn't really be an energy flowing through everything there is, whether that may exist or not. It is more of an undefinable essence of who you are as an individual. There may be another essence connecting all of these individual souls that we could call 'all that is'.

But my favorite definition of soul would still have to be:

Quote

a strong positive feeling (as of intense sensitivity and emotional fervor) conveyed especially by black American performers


Edited by _Only, 19 January 2013 - 11:06 PM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#3    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    dimple

  • Member
  • 10,116 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

@Ryu: very good analogy ....... works for me! :tu:

Edited by ouija ouija, 20 January 2013 - 12:07 AM.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,465 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

I think each spirit is still an individual entity.


#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,183 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Not that I believe in souls, but this concept sounds less like the mind or consciousness found in various religions and more like a power source.

If that is the case, it offers no afterlife.


#6    Ryu

Ryu

    Born to fail.

  • Member
  • 3,731 posts
  • Joined:17 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Where you'll never find me

  • One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 20 January 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

Not that I believe in souls, but this concept sounds less like the mind or consciousness found in various religions and more like a power source.

If that is the case, it offers no afterlife.

Well..I didn't mean to imply I was making a case for an afterlife; I was merely saying that what we call a "soul" is really nothing more than a contained packet of general energy which allows the body to function which includes all the chemical processes that produce things like thoughts and such.

I didn't mean to imply there was some singular source but rather the vastness of the universe is, i guess, a sort of power generator.

I guess I should write things more carefully. :)


#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

    Bio-Electric sentient being.

  • Member
  • 9,797 posts
  • Joined:23 Jun 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hurricane State

  • May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

What bothers me about the whole concept of soul, is what is going on with the soul in people with major brain damage.  I have been around many people who's brains are gone, such as with Alzheimer's. Where have they gone and what has happen to their "soul"?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    Ryu

Ryu

    Born to fail.

  • Member
  • 3,731 posts
  • Joined:17 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Where you'll never find me

  • One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

I really don't know. In the case of severely brain damaged people it seems that they are mere shells and maybe that "spark" is too weak to maintain anything so the body is kept alive through all those machines.
I just don't know. Maybe in some cases only a fragment of that "spark" remains only because the body is still functioning and the rest of that energy, no longer needed for anything, simply dissipates, much like static electricity.


#9    _Only

_Only

  • Member
  • 6,634 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern California

  • Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostRyu, on 20 January 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Well..I didn't mean to imply I was making a case for an afterlife; I was merely saying that what we call a "soul" is really nothing more than a contained packet of general energy which allows the body to function which includes all the chemical processes that produce things like thoughts and such.

I didn't mean to imply there was some singular source but rather the vastness of the universe is, i guess, a sort of power generator.

I guess I should write things more carefully. :)

It's going to come into discussion no matter how physically you explain it. You're connecting a non physical idea to physical explanations.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#10    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

    devil's aunt

  • Member
  • 22,082 posts
  • Joined:21 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Croatia/Sucamore Beach

  • Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Hi, Ryu... and everyone else, of course...

I just posted the following in completely another thread... synchronicity, perhaps...
I believe the brain is the socket, a biological device that allows soul (and the soul is true me, my essential mind) to connect to material world.
Just my own belief, ask me for no proof because there is no objective proof, only my totally subjective perception of my own existence.


Edit: damn, my socket is not that good lately...
That would imply people with brain damage and Alzheimer and such are disconnected from their own bodies to more-less devastating for this world extent. Maybe they are still what they used to be, but not in there, in their bodies.

Edited by Helen of Annoy, 20 January 2013 - 05:11 PM.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#11    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    dimple

  • Member
  • 10,116 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 20 January 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

What bothers me about the whole concept of soul, is what is going on with the soul in people with major brain damage.  I have been around many people who's brains are gone, such as with Alzheimer's. Where have they gone and what has happen to their "soul"?
I think/guess(but don't know, obviously), that the soul is still intact and functioning normally ...... observing. This is why we should treat them well. We should address their souls, which are still normal.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#12    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ, 2222

  • Member
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Hi. This OP is similar to my very shaky theory of life,the universe & everything..

I kind of see us humanity as small pockets of focused consciousness experiancing small portions of reality. But we all belong to a single consciousness. The way I figure it;
Brain=Vehicle, senses & meaty bits,
Soul=individual Mind & Ego,
Consiousness is the universal self or energy that allows it all to happen.

Brain, Soul & Consiousness are seperatet things, not to be mistaken for each other but working together to create & experience reality.
To put it another way,
Brain = Computer system, keyboard, monitor, speekers, mouse.
Soul = Software, a game, a program that is run in the computer.
Consiousness = The electricity that allows it all to work.
Reality = Brain+Soul+Consiousness.

Edited by Professor T, 20 January 2013 - 06:53 PM.


#13    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,183 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

View Post_Only, on 20 January 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

It's going to come into discussion no matter how physically you explain it. You're connecting a non physical idea to physical explanations.
What makes you think his idea is non-physical?


#14    _Only

_Only

  • Member
  • 6,634 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern California

  • Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 21 January 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

What makes you think his idea is non-physical?

He didn't create the idea I was referring to. The idea of a soul. He's just putting his individual slant on it. I know I shouldn't need to define the word soul for you here. But anyway, I don't think his physical analogy was meant to be taken.. physically, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by _Only, 21 January 2013 - 04:41 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#15    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male

  • Mercuræn

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostRyu, on 19 January 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I was thinking about the topic of souls and how so many people believe we all have one.
So I got to thinking,if I am assuming for the moment that souls are real, I still do not think they are individualistic. Meaning that one souls is not differentiated from the next.

So I made an analogy that might help, let's take three household items; a computer, a vacuum cleaner and a mixer.
These objects each have their own functions, take them apart and you will see that their components are vastly different which allows them to perform their jobs.
One can see how each works, the wires, gears, circuits, etc.

However in order for them to function they need power which comes, usually, from a electrical cord which plugs into the wall outlet. The wall outlet supplies the electricity needed to make them work, right?

Now these objects have a sort of transformer, amongst other things, which regulates the power flow so each object doesn't get overloaded or underpowered and as you can tell, a computer cannot do what the vacuum or mixer can do and vice versa nor can you readily exchange parts between them and expect it to work properly.

But what about the electricity that powers them? Is the electricity suddenly different when you use the computer versus the mixer? Nope..it all comes from the same socket. The electricity that flowed through the outlet to power your computer is no different than the electricity that powers the mixer.

So I was thinking that perhaps it is the same thing with this whole 'soul' thing, the "electricity" that allows the body of a mouse to function is no different than the "electricity" that allows the human body to function. Certain components may vary but the power used is the same.
Now whether this "electricity" is separated from other units (bodies) is questionable but "maybe" it is possible for that particular battery (contained electricity) to absorb information and when it is released upon bodily death and returns to the power grid it "may" be possible that when it re-enters another unit (body) that this data might be added to the new body.

Where does this "electricity" come from? I wager it is drawn from the vast cosmological power station, the power is endlessy generated by the movements of planets, stars, black holes and so forth. Like a circle there is no beginning or end and the electricity can go wherever it goes. No commands needed and it need not pray or worship anything it passes. If it happens to be drawn to another planet or star then so be it. If the frequencies it contains are compatible with whatever it comes into contact with then it goes from there, if not then no biggie 'cause it doesn't have the capacity to care.

If you ever played Final Fantasy VII and seen that blurb on the "Life Stream" I suppose that might be applicable in some way.

Or..it could all be just some more esoteric bunkwaddles too....I mean, I just thought this stuff up when I was in bed listening to a cd so...whatever. It's an analogy so take it however you want, it's not like I am saying it is right.
The thing here is that you are trying to explain/compare the soul in objective/physical terms which it does not exist in.

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users