Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 7 votes

Show us your EGO!


  • Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#301    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 30 January 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

I think it rather silly for people to worry about the count of their likes.  Popular appeal has nothing to do with either truth or righteousness.  Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't occasionally give me one. :yes:

Couldnt agree more


#302    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ

  • Member
  • 2,385 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

:lol:
This thread is turning into an Ego inflating exersise!

Guy's... I think you all rock! :wub:  Your Ego's are awesome!!!
There's just so much liking going on, :lol: ...... And what's not to like!!! :w00t:




So tell me??
Is Ego good or Bad? Are ya'll happy to have your ego's controling the real you? Do you know when you are you? Do you know when Ego is driving you? Do you even care?


#303    joc

joc

    Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

  • Member
  • 12,671 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet

  • They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

:lol:
This thread is turning into an Ego inflating exersise!

Guy's... I think you all rock! :wub:  Your Ego's are awesome!!!
There's just so much liking going on, :lol: ...... And what's not to like!!! :w00t:




So tell me??
Is Ego good or Bad? Are ya'll happy to have your ego's controling the real you? Do you know when you are you? Do you know when Ego is driving you? Do you even care?
Is water good or bad?  It's good if you are thirsty, it's bad if you are sumberged in it.   Ego is a defining part of being Human, but I am not happy having Ego control me.  Anger and emotions are automatic...but  the extent they are allowed to stay in the conscious mind and have an impact depends on how well one can control/recognize one's own ego. I do know when I am me.  I know when Ego is driving me...sometimes...sometimes I have to recognize that in retrospect.  I care a great deal because we are so much more than our Ego.  The more we are able to  just tell our Ego to take a nap, I think the happier we are.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#304    Sherapy

Sherapy

    Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

  • Member
  • 21,714 posts
  • Joined:14 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:At the Beach-- San Pedro, California

  • The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

:lol:
This thread is turning into an Ego inflating exersise!

Guy's... I think you all rock! :wub:  Your Ego's are awesome!!!
There's just so much liking going on, :lol: ...... And what's not to like!!! :w00t:




So tell me??
Is Ego good or Bad? Are ya'll happy to have your ego's controling the real you? Do you know when you are you? Do you know when Ego is driving you? Do you even care?

I think ego is a good thing/asset-- in application I understand it to be my personal boundaries and the way I define myself from others. I think it is what makes me a unique 'me.' I do think as I mature I am cultivating ego integrity. Personally, I am aware of my egos role in issues, circumstances, and the goals that I am involved in. I think I have a good grasp/understanding of myself and what it is I'm working on/towards when I am unclear I have support and avenues to clarity. For the most part--  I am at the place where I seek fairness and a win win for all involved, when I don't  I Learn from  it

Edited by Sherapy, 31 January 2013 - 12:45 AM.




#305    B Randomly

B Randomly

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • Joined:24 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male

  • Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    -Gandhi

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 January 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Am to introverted.. I feel the outsider in social occasions..
But once I've had a few beers, then a few more, then a few more, I become the life of the party, lol...

And yet, I find more that we have in common...


#306    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 3,912 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:


...Is Ego good or Bad? Are ya'll happy to have your ego's controling the real you? Do you know when you are you? Do you know when Ego is driving you? Do you even care?

My ego plateaued about 10 - 12 years ago. I'm happy with who I am and where I'm at in life. I would, if I could, make a couple of changes of course. But, I'm beyond that now.

I'm prouder of the family that I sprung from and the friends that I currently have though. They are amazing people.

As for your questions, while my ego sits in the back seat now it does on occasion try to tell me how to drive. I don't listen very often. :)


#307    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Coast

  • Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

Is Ego good or Bad? Are ya'll happy to have your ego's controling the real you? Do you know when you are you? Do you know when Ego is driving you? Do you even care?

I'm debating if I have one or not. It's kind of hard to dissociate from things that are truly part of yourself. I'm happy with who I am and with what I am doing; that's all that matters.


#308    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 12,526 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • I dunno --

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostJinxdom, on 31 January 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

I'm debating if I have one or not. It's kind of hard to dissociate from things that are truly part of yourself. I'm happy with who I am and with what I am doing; that's all that matters.
Of course you want to have an ego; if nothing else, have enough ego to want to become Enlightened (the Buddhist concept of getting rid of your ego).


#309    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 12,526 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • I dunno --

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 31 January 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

My ego plateaued about 10 - 12 years ago. I'm happy with who I am and where I'm at in life. I would, if I could, make a couple of changes of course. But, I'm beyond that now.
We start off full of ego and ambition, ready to take on the world.  Life comes along with a big 2-by-4 and whack us upside the head a few times and knocks most of it out of us.  Not pretty but inevitable.


#310    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 3,912 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 31 January 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

We start off full of ego and ambition, ready to take on the world.  Life comes along with a big 2-by-4 and whack us upside the head a few times and knocks most of it out of us.  Not pretty but inevitable.

My experience wasn't quite so dramatic. After the age of 38 - 40, I realized that (outside of winning a lottery, which I don't even buy tickets for) my life will continue along the same line.

I'm happy with that. :)


#311    rimbaudelaire

rimbaudelaire

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:City of Brotherly Love

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 31 January 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

We start off full of ego and ambition, ready to take on the world.  Life comes along with a big 2-by-4 and whack us upside the head a few times and knocks most of it out of us.  Not pretty but inevitable.

That's sad and truly disappointing. I'm glad my life isn't anything like your life. Carpe diem. Be here now. Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings. Death might be inevitable but I'm gonna enjoy the ride.


#312    rimbaudelaire

rimbaudelaire

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:City of Brotherly Love

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostSherapy, on 31 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

I think ego is a good thing/asset-- in application I understand it to be my personal boundaries and the way I define myself from others. I think it is what makes me a unique 'me.' I do think as I mature I am cultivating ego integrity. Personally, I am aware of my egos role in issues, circumstances, and the goals that I am involved in. I think I have a good grasp/understanding of myself and what it is I'm working on/towards when I am unclear I have support and avenues to clarity. For the most part--  I am at the place where I seek fairness and a win win for all involved, when I don't  I Learn from  it

A healthy ego is by far the best character asset anyone can have. "Who am I, what, and why" (ego) is the greatest endeavor for our Selves since it drives the constant evolution of self-identity and enlightens our individual and group Otherness.

Great post, Sherapy (Best Screen Name Ever!!!!).


#313    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostB Randomly, on 30 January 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

Hah! I have someone hoodwinked!

I wouldn't say great..  I would say less than or equal to average.  I'm an introvert, so talking to people isn't really my thing.  I can talk to people, and am ok at it.. I just prefer not to.

Small chat goes into social skills. There are people who say more with less words. In one penetrating sentence.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#314    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ

  • Member
  • 2,385 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 31 January 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

We start off full of ego and ambition, ready to take on the world.  Life comes along with a big 2-by-4 and whack us upside the head a few times and knocks most of it out of us.  Not pretty but inevitable.

This is utter nonsense imo..
We do not start off full of Ego.. We start off as true selfs and true beings.. Ego is a result of society, of other people, of family and friends.  It is those around us who shape the Ego. Before there was Ego, there was the True self..

I look back on my childhood as some of the most exciting times of my life. Life meant more. Life was more fun, more real, more meaningfull when I was young and my Ego was being formed. There was a purpose in every little thing.. I felt closer to the heavens and the Earth, I felt more real and more alive than I ever have before.. Nowadays, being older, having layers upon layers of Ego, socieital programming & the psycosis of civilisation to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..


#315    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 February 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

This is utter nonsense imo..
We do not start off full of Ego.. We start off as true selfs and true beings.. Ego is a result of society, of other people, of family and friends.  It is those around us who shape the Ego. Before there was Ego, there was the True self..

I look back on my childhood as some of the most exciting times of my life. Life meant more. Life was more fun, more real, more meaningfull when I was young and my Ego was being formed. There was a purpose in every little thing.. I felt closer to the heavens and the Earth, I felt more real and more alive than I ever have before.. Nowadays, being older, having layers upon layers of Ego, socieital programming & the psycosis of civilisation to cope with that one has to realise that we have it in ourselves to let go of all the cr,p that has been built around the true self..

If anybody ever made the mistake of giving me the keys to 10 downing street my ego would cause me to -
1. Have myself crowned God.
2. Spend my days wondering around the House of Commons in a toga and wearing a crown of leaves.
3. Have my 2 mile high statue constructed.
4. Pass laws so everybody has to worship me.
5. I'd have slaves who I'd be mean too just because I can.
6. I'd have favourites who I'd reward with riches and delegate power too. They would mostly be fit blonde women!
7. I'd have a day of the week named after me.
8. I'd carve myself out a little empire somewhere.
9. I'd have gladiator battles inside Wembley where criminals would have to fight to the death for our amusement.
10. I'd have a harem constructed for my 100 beautiful wives.
11. Whenever I meet someone if I dont like them I'd have them thrown to the lions.
12. I'd become the countries top pop artist, film actor, author, athelete, model and scientist. My rivals would get eaten by the lions!
13. I'd rewrite history so no one else comes close to being as great as me. Anybody who speaks out gets eaten by the lions!
14. Nelson would disappear off his column and get replaced by yours truely!
15. I'd have the largest palace in history constructed for me.

I'd avoid assassination by tripling the wages of my soliders, giving them land and allowing them to have 10 wives each. Any problems and I'd send them in to machine gun all the revolters and crush them under the tracks of their tanks muwhahahaha!





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users