Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sightings of Dinosaur-Like Beast: Megalania

pureshark1980

I saw this video...and this guy makes some valid points...but others are iffy - could these massive beasts still roam around Australia today? what do you guys think?

Edited by pureshark1980
  • Like 1

I think this is something Australians would be better disposed to comment on. The rural population and folk that spend a lot time in the bush would have a better take on the possibility.

• Like 2

Australia is the size of the contiguous United States and has only 23 million or so inhabitants, most of whom live along the coast so it would make sense that there might be some animals roaming the interior that are as of yet unknown to science, although I doubt animals as large as the megalania.

But one can hope.

Psyche101'd probably be a better person to ask then me, but I've been told by an Aboriginal Elder of my acquaintance that there are beasties in the Deep Outback that look like giant goannas.

• Like 1

Psyche101'd probably be a better person to ask then me, but I've been told by an Aboriginal Elder of my acquaintance that there

are beasties in the Deep Outback that look like giant goannas.

I`m quite sure that Psyche101 has 2 Megalania as pets but he didn`t talked about yet.

• Like 1

Is there a gps reference given? - I'll be happy to take my camera out there for my next outback sabbatical.. I too know a few elders in very remote indigenous communities, and while there are myths and stories that include huge lizards, they don't refer to it as a current reality. Not even in the Maralinga lands, where certain activities by the British in the 50's may have caused the odd genetic aberration...

• Like 2

They'd need water, and the watering spots are well known.

So... if they were there, tracks would be easy to locate and identify and they'd be spotted on game cameras set up at watering holes.

• Like 5

From a distance a kangaroo would resemble a dinosaur, having a type of lizard tail and all. Who knows, T-Rex might of had a pouch for their young also...And ostriches would add to the confusion considering they lay giant eggs and the recent revelation that dinosaurs were vastly feathered.

Who knows, T-Rex might of had a pouch for their young also...

No, dinosaurs were lizards. Lizards do not have pouches like marsupials do.

From a distance a kangaroo would resemble a dinosaur, having a type of lizard tail and all.

Only if you read older books on dinosaurs (early 1900's.) They changed the "Kangaroo Rex" model way back when. T Rex walks like a raven.

• Like 1

From a distance a kangaroo would resemble a dinosaur, having a type of lizard tail and all. Who knows, T-Rex might of had a pouch for their young also...And ostriches would add to the confusion considering they lay giant eggs and the recent revelation that dinosaurs were vastly feathered.

Emus, not Ostriches.

• Like 2

I saw this video...and this guy makes some valid points...but others are iffy - could these massive beasts still roam around Australia today? what do you guys think?

I'd never heard of this particular creature before. I enjoyed watching this video here...

As far as if it still exists, considering the type, size and location I'd say around a 70-75% chance that it still does.

• Like 1

No, dinosaurs were lizards. Lizards do not have pouches like marsupials do.

Dinosaurs were actual a separate group of reptiles, not lizards. Just wanted to put that out there.

Also, definitely no pouches.

• Like 3

cant some crocodiles get pretty huge

Indeed they can.

And so can goannas, reptiles IIRC keep growing all their lives so the older they are, the bigger and more ornery they get.

• Like 2

Psyche101'd probably be a better person to ask then me, but I've been told by an Aboriginal Elder of my acquaintance that there are beasties in the Deep Outback that look like giant goannas.

A Lizard guards Uluru and a Lizard created humans according to Dreamtime. I asked some relatives about Megalania once, an Indigenous person piped up and said she had only ever heard about it from Rex Gilroy. None of the others knew of the legend other than the Dreamtime ones I mentioned, but they had giant Kangaroos wombats, you name it. With the many cultures within the culture I have no doubt that such a tale would exist. I have not met someone who knows it personally though.

I`m quite sure that Psyche101 has 2 Megalania as pets but he didn`t talked about yet.

LOL, I prefer Bunyips. Much easier to look after and not as testy.

• Like 1

Is there a gps reference given? - I'll be happy to take my camera out there for my next outback sabbatical.. I too know a few elders in very remote indigenous communities, and while there are myths and stories that include huge lizards, they don't refer to it as a current reality. Not even in the Maralinga lands, where certain activities by the British in the 50's may have caused the odd genetic aberration...

The only place you will find regaling tales of Modern day Megalania is on Rex Gilroys site. International visitors think the outback is so big that such an animal can hide there forever, but they forget how sparse a desert is when it comes to food, and how the cattle farmers and sheep farmers would have had altercations with such a beast if it existed. Which is strange because it did exist, but none here for about 30,000 years. Much of Dreamtime did exist in the form of Megafauna.

Two claims from Rex's site - LINK

• Like 2

As far as if it still exists, considering the type, size and location I'd say around a 70-75% chance that it still does.

Holy crap, where on earth did you pull that statistic from?

Australia is the size of the contiguous United States and has only 23 million or so inhabitants, most of whom live along the coast so it would make sense that there might be some animals roaming the interior that are as of yet unknown to science, although I doubt animals as large as the megalania.

But one can hope.

I sure as hell do NOT hope that a giant killer lizard is sneaking around.

It's just not viable, the size is just an appeal. It's harsh land with little to offer in the way of nourishment. I do not see how this would not be taking a cow a week. And that would not go unnoticed. There is no actual evidence, there is a coupe of tall tales on some paranormal websites, that is pretty much the extent of modern day megalania.

Steve Irwin considered the possibility and didn't rule out the existence of a mega-monitor. It was hard not to love that guy. He was all the joy of being a kid on a perfect saturday at the zoo, rolled up into one man. I really miss him.

• Like 3

. It was hard not to love that guy.

My father, who had dealings with the Irwins back in the "Queensland Reptile And Fauna Park" days would beg to disagree.

• Like 2

My father, who had dealings with the Irwins back in the "Queensland Reptile And Fauna Park" days would beg to disagree.

I was referring to his "Jungle Jim" persona. Celebrities are rarely as lovable closeup. His little girl, on the lighter side, has grown up to be quite fetching. Always admired her mother, and the image of her sorrow at his funeral ceremony is forever etched into my memory.
  • Like 2

Steve Irwin considered the possibility and didn't rule out the existence of a mega-monitor. It was hard not to love that guy. He was all the joy of being a kid on a perfect saturday at the zoo, rolled up into one man. I really miss him.

One time at Australia Zoo, everyone was just sitting around having lunch then all of a sudden this racket kicked up, and Steve bursts onto the verandah on a dirt bike shaking everyone's hand. Hard not to admire such a character.

I feel the same, he was an icon, and became part of Australia. Like any family I am sure they had a dark side, and it sounds like SWOH saw a bit of that. I cannot say I ever heard Steve mention the monitor, but he did used to pander to the fringies from time to time. He even was going to spend time with that bunch of pirates The Sea Shepherd before he passed, and even spoke to Yowie people - and seriously at that. I'd be hard pressed to find written record of it though.

I think he was just pleasing everyone, and any interest in wildlife was good as far as he was concerned, the Tasmanian Tiger often creates a stir even if it is sadly long gone. I honestly do not think for a second that he ever seriously believed in these fringe subjects.

I have to say I am sorry to see his legacy, it's in tatters. His daughter is indeed very eye catching, but went into Hollywood as her mother thrust her into the limelight, and didn't do so well. People only remember you for your last stuff up, and I think that might be how the Irwin Legacy slides into the sunset. If you go to Australia Zoo and see Terri, she is usually surrounded by several massive body guards, it seems a bit of an ego trip and a horrendous waste of money. Steve was never about that. I honestly hope that Bob or Bindi can pick the family name up out of the present rut it seems to be in. Steve's father seems to agree, and has estranged himself from Terri after quitting from Australia Zoo.

LINK - Bob Irwin quits Australia Zoo: Rift with Terri Irwin

Poor kids to be robbed of such an amazing father. I think I will go to my grave sad about that. I still remember the day of the funeral, Traffic was so bad a normal one hour drive took 3 and a half hours. He was loved by many. You are not alone in missing him.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wish he'd never got out of the boat. he was out of his element, and was so enchanted with the beauty of the Ray, he was oblivious of the danger. In some way they hone in unerringly on a beating heart. We've had fisherman hit in or over the heart in their boats, pulling small ones out of the water.

The only place you will find regaling tales of Modern day Megalania is on Rex Gilroys site. International visitors think the outback is so big that such an animal can hide there forever, but they forget how sparse a desert is when it comes to food, and how the cattle farmers and sheep farmers would have had altercations with such a beast if it existed. Which is strange because it did exist, but none here for about 30,000 years. Much of Dreamtime did exist in the form of Megafauna.

Two claims from Rex's site - LINK

If you google Megalania pics, you get Gilroy holding up giant lizard foot casts. I blame him for stirring up these stories and popularizing them.

The guy is a piece of work. I think is only a matter of time till a Drop Bear gets him.