Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * - - - 2 votes

Luke 19:27


  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 24,533 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 31 October 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

I just told you my opinion about what Jesus said.
I agree, but the way you phrased “The topic: Jesus wasn't all about 'love and peace'.” left no room for anyone who may disagree with you.

Incidentally I agree with you in that Jesus wasn’t ONLY about love and peace, I just think using a parable (a fictitious story) is a poor way to make your point.  Just my opinion…

~ PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#17    synchronomy

synchronomy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Joined:05 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario Canada

  • Facinating

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:16 AM

As with many Biblical references, I would read this in a metaphorical sense as "Good will triumph over evil."
It's as "A mighty fortress is our God." is not intended to imply He is made of bricks. :tu:

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#18    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,061 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:19 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 31 October 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

I agree, but the way you phrased “The topic: Jesus wasn't all about 'love and peace'.” left no room for anyone who may disagree with you.

Incidentally I agree with you in that Jesus wasn’t ONLY about love and peace, I just think using a parable (a fictitious story) is a poor way to make your point.  Just my opinion…

~ PA

I left room enough, I am not the one telling you what to post or not.

Ok, so it was just a parable, like Imaginarynumber1 already said.

But it ends kind of... weird:

28 And when he had thus spoken, he went before, ascending up to Jerusalem.

Like it's not a parable at all.

.

Edited by Abramelin, 31 October 2012 - 04:22 AM.


#19    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

  • Member
  • 3,290 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:on the ground

  • The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:46 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 31 October 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

And when you even dare to question some odd saying by one of our socalled 'holy men', AND use the wrong words...ah, forget it.


Matthew 10:34.

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.
35 "For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';
36 "and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.'
Matthew 10:34. "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.
35 "For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';
36 "and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.'

The guy didn't come to bring peace at all.


.

I understand what this one means. It means that the teachings of Jesus will be rejected and that by believing in them, by converting, etc.. you will become a problem in your very own household.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#20    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 3,922 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 31 October 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

I left room enough, I am not the one telling you what to post or not.

Ok, so it was just a parable, like Imaginarynumber1 already said.

But it ends kind of... weird:

28 And when he had thus spoken, he went before, ascending up to Jerusalem.

Like it's not a parable at all.

.

Yes, he is purported to have said this, but in what sense? Was the entire gospel recorded verbatim? Did it include any nuances?

"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"

Was spoken before he was to be put to death. Did he mean that he would forgive them and they would not be put to death, unlike the death that he was about to submit to?

Alas, that's a question with no answer.

Edited by Likely Guy, 31 October 2012 - 04:56 AM.


#21    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

  • Member
  • 3,290 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:on the ground

  • The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

As for the OP I don't ever remember reading this one, I assume pastors do not mention it in bible study because it doesn't sound too Jesus like at all... I personally do not take every scripture at face value, I accept the concepts that agree with me and that suits me just fine. I know that they 'the people who put the bible together' picked and chose from scripture that fit their agenda, and this agenda, killing and war, in the name of God should be fine. This may be one of those scriptures. In my opinion, they take these things and twist them, just like news media does etc... I will look up commentary and see if anything on the internet has a better idea about this statement in Luke 19:27.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#22    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,061 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 31 October 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

I understand what this one means. It means that the teachings of Jesus will be rejected and that by believing in them, by converting, etc.. you will become a problem in your very own household.

I have discussed religious topics with members of my family, my neighbours and my friends, but they never became my enemies.


#23    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

  • Member
  • 3,290 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:on the ground

  • The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

Oh, yeah, this is a parable. You have to read the whole story. Read all of Luke 19, its just a parable. He is not saying for his enemies to be brought in front of HIM to be killed. He is speaking of a king in the story.... Read it in terms of a parable. Basically he is saying those who wasted the talents are unworthy, and you know how kings are.. they will kill yo-@ss..

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#24    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

  • Member
  • 3,290 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:on the ground

  • The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 31 October 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

I have discussed religious topics with members of my family, my neighbours and my friends, but they never became my enemies.

Yeah, but thats you though... Religious beliefs are strong and people get riled up about them. Don't deny it... Don't do it! YOU know its true! ;)

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#25    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 31 October 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them — bring them here and kill them in front of me.

http://bible.cc/luke/19-27.htm


Can someone explain to me what Jesus meant with this?
Abramelin, many Bible commentators accept that in this parable Jesus was making a double-reference:
***to the coming destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD,
***and to his return (still in our future) as King to rule Earth.

Jesus was rejected as “Messiah” by the ruling Jews of his day, as seen in Jesus’ parable,

Luk 19:14  But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.


Scriptures also show that Jesus will be rejected by the world’s nations as “Messiah”, at his next return. Scriptures state that nations will gather a huge army to fight against him; and afterwards Jesus will establish his Kingdom to rule Earth:

Mat 25:31  When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

Mat 25:32  And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Mat 25:34  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Very briefly, that in my opinion is the answer to the question in your OP.

That said ... and I'm going by remarks in some of the posts in this thread ... if you were intending to "swat" the Bible, why not do it in a straightforward manner?

Karlis


#26    with bells on

with bells on

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Joined:25 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 31 October 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them — bring them here and kill them in front of me.

http://bible.cc/luke/19-27.htm


Can someone explain to me what Jesus meant with this?

meet Jesus, the original terrorist.. all about domination and control.. sigh.. such good christian values.. not much has changed.. lol


#27    Karlis

Karlis

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

View Postwith bells on, on 31 October 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

meet Jesus, the original terrorist.. all about domination and control.. sigh.. such good christian values.. not much has changed.. lol
One man's terrorist is another man's saviour. :tu:

Considering the way the world's situation is progressing -- towards Mutually Assured Destruction -- maybe we should be thankful that there is (at least a promise) hope through the enforced peace to come?


#28    with bells on

with bells on

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Joined:25 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostKarlis, on 31 October 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

One man's terrorist is another man's saviour. :tu:

Considering the way the world's situation is progressing -- towards Mutually Assured Destruction -- maybe we should be thankful that there is (at least a promise) hope through the enforced peace to come?

there will be peace.. its coming.. we wont destruct.. we need to heal the earth and ourselves.. its all this dark controling energy in this world.. once that is cleared all the religions wont have anything to feed on, same with these governments..


#29    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 12,626 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

View Postwith bells on, on 31 October 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

there will be peace.. its coming.. we wont destruct.. we need to heal the earth and ourselves.. its all this dark controling energy in this world.. once that is cleared all the religions wont have anything to feed on, same with these governments..
Sounds an awful lot like the original lie told in the garden.  Ye shall be as god - knowing good from evil AND ye shall NOT surely die.  What I'm saying, Bells, is that we've been trying to get it all together for millennia - things are as bad with the human spirit as they ever were.  But today our decisions can kill the whole planet instead of just the village beyond the next hills.  He IS coming again soon.  I expect Him to be large and in charge and when the dust clears the survivors are going to wonder WHY we couldn't have had this peace all along....  A better day is coming - mostly because it can't get much worse and life continue.

  Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#30    with bells on

with bells on

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Joined:25 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

View Postand then, on 31 October 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

Sounds an awful lot like the original lie told in the garden.  Ye shall be as god - knowing good from evil AND ye shall NOT surely die.  What I'm saying, Bells, is that we've been trying to get it all together for millennia - things are as bad with the human spirit as they ever were.  But today our decisions can kill the whole planet instead of just the village beyond the next hills.  He IS coming again soon.  I expect Him to be large and in charge and when the dust clears the survivors are going to wonder WHY we couldn't have had this peace all along....  A better day is coming - mostly because it can't get much worse and life continue.

ok.. its pretty clear im anti religion.. esp christianity.. but i am deeply spiritual and connected to that world.. so for me i see things diff to others, cause i can see how distorted it all is.. the thing is the last few years (esp the last two) all those fields and dimensions have been, being cleared of this dark crap.. and its starting to look a lot lighter.. i assume by "He" and "Him" your talking about a new saviour coming, like the Jesus character they planted on the world.. there is no him and he IMO.. there is a consciousness coming.. an energy.. and everyone will eventualy see that they were the ones that they were waiting for.. it was never some outside figure who saves the day, it all came and comes from within..

im also anti a lot of the new age crap.. it all seemed so fresh and light and loving, yet it was the same rubbish that they peddled out, like religion.. it all became about money..

being spriritual just is.. there is no book, shame or church.. it doesnt even have to be anything more than liking nature, or laughing at a joke..





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users