Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Brazil Nightclub Fire Kills at Least 245

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 28 January 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Being in the fire protection industry i can tell you that there is an issue with escape routes in bars, nightclubs and back packer accomodation because either there are no emergency exit lights (they clash with nightclub lights/strobes) or the exits are locked (to prevent others sneaking in). Often, it is found that even when emergency exits are present, 90% of the occupants will use the entry/exit door they came in through causing a bottle neck and deaths at the doorway.

Just reading that casts a picture in my head.. A packed nightclub, people panicking, all running for the same door and being stuck and cant see with the smoke.. The smoke alone will kill them faster..

Are you a fire fighter?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 28 January 2013 - 07:33 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#17    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,754 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 28 January 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Just reading that casts a picture in my head.. A packed nightclub, people panicking, all running for the same door and being stuck and cant see with the smoke.. The smoke alone will kill them faster..

Are you a fire fighter?

No i am not a fire fighter. I did take the physical test when i left high school, but i didn't persue it after I learned that fire fighters only get paid minimum wage here (with some benefits). I work in planning, estimating and project managing different fire protection systems for the appropriate situation. I am also involved in inspections and certification of fire protection systems. When loss of life occurs in any fire situation our whole industry pays close attention and tries to learn any lessons we can from the disaster.

#18    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

No i am not a fire fighter. I did take the physical test when i left high school, but i didn't persue it after I learned that fire fighters only get paid minimum wage here (with some benefits). I work in planning, estimating and project managing different fire protection systems for the appropriate situation. I am also involved in inspections and certification of fire protection systems. When loss of life occurs in any fire situation our whole industry pays close attention and tries to learn any lessons we can from the disaster.

Ahh I see...Thanks for that..

#19    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,315 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I went to a few nightclubs when I was younger that were in creepy old buildings, no windows, dark and full of smoke.  Sometimes it was a maze of rooms inside, very confusing after a few drinks.  Now I stick to outdoor patios with a band, unless it's really cold outside.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#20    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

The night clubs I went to always had double exit doors at the back, left open for those who smoke outside ...

#21    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,923 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

WE had over 100 deaths in an almost exact copy of this scenario in Warwick Rhode Island a few years ago.  Pyrotechnics and overhead flammable foam insulation.  They had 90 SECONDS to get out.  When a place is sold out to capacity (and beyond) and any exit doors are locked then the owners should be criminally responsible for every death.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#22    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,754 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

View Postand then, on 29 January 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

WE had over 100 deaths in an almost exact copy of this scenario in Warwick Rhode Island a few years ago.  Pyrotechnics and overhead flammable foam insulation.  They had 90 SECONDS to get out.  When a place is sold out to capacity (and beyond) and any exit doors are locked then the owners should be criminally responsible for every death.

I remember listening to a speaker on this fire at our last conferance.

This is the video from youtube showing the fire starting and people moving toward the exit. Most of the deaths were caused when hundreds of people went to the main entrance/exit. There were three other exits of which, two were usable (plan below), but the vast majority did not think to use them. The next time you go to a packed club, look for emergency exits before you start enjoying yourself.

Posted Imagehttp://en.wikipedia....tation_plan.jpg

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 29 January 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#23    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,923 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

I always check out my orientation to fire exits in hotels and auditoriums.  So few people take the time and it can be the difference between your child living and dying.  A huge crowd of people becomes an animal in conditions like this and the outcome of that is too often lethal.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#24    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,487 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

I feel that the world has lost way too many beautiful people in this incidence. I cry for them and those that love them.
I mourn.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#25    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,487 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

View Postand then, on 29 January 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

I always check out my orientation to fire exits in hotels and auditoriums.  So few people take the time and it can be the difference between your child living and dying.  A huge crowd of people becomes an animal in conditions like this and the outcome of that is too often lethal.

Always know the exits.
Listen to the vibs you get. If you feel a need to get out when there is no reason to bolt, do it anyway. Get out.
Follow the most assurely present pre-sentiments that tell you not to go to specific places at specific times. Let your pre-sentiments be your guide.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#26    Feanor

Feanor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

• "If there is truly evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

The following link has pictures of those who perished on this tragedy.
http://noticias.uol....ta-maria-rs.htm

One army soldier went to Santa Maria to visit his wife they went to the night club to relax a bit before he had to return to his duties. When the fire started, he managed to save his wife. After she was safe, he came back and helped fire fighters save 4 more and then he died trying to help more ppl. I wonder how the musicians that started the fire managed to escape considering they were far away from the exit door while others not so far died. Probably the 2 chickens ran away instead of trying to help...

Edited by Feanor, 29 January 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#27    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,881 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostFeanor, on 29 January 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

The following link has pictures of those who perished on this tragedy.
http://noticias.uol....ta-maria-rs.htm

One army soldier went to Santa Maria to visit his wife they went to the night club to relax a bit before he had to return to his duties. When the fire started, he managed to save his wife. After she was safe, he came back and helped fire fighters save 4 more and then he died trying to help more ppl. I wonder how the musicians that started the fire managed to escape considering they were far away from the exit door while others not so far died. Probably the 2 chickens ran away instead of trying to help...

Oh my... those photos of those beautiful, beautiful young people :cry: So sorry for them all :innocent:

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#28    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 28 January 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Brazilian police have arrested three people in connection with a fire at a nightclub that killed 231 people in the southern city of Santa Maria on Sunday.

An owner of the Kiss nightclub, a member of the band Gurizada Fandangueira, and its security chief were being questioned, police said.

A fourth person, reported to be a co-owner of the club, is being sought

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merica-21232740
I honestly had the impression it was an insurance jobbie before I clicked on that link.
No! He got arrested because his general health and safety procedures in regard to fire prevention were not up to spec.
So it's natural that the boss and his colleagues should have the book thrown at them.
Tbh if somebody tried to show a clubber where the fire exits where they would think you were some kind of killjoy.
Though when your clubbing the major,big things seem to slip your mind.
So as somebody just said you need to discern where the fire exits are but alas some need some prompting.
And why the eck was one of the entertainers letting a flare off.
All they wanted to do was samba and they ended on a slab instead.
Very,very tragic news and a needless waste of life.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#29    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,828 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postand then, on 29 January 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Too true, here is a prime example of people acting like animals and there was not even a fire!! Whether it was over crowded or not, the crowd stampeded and everyone was in it for themselves. I daren`t not even thing how many lives could have been lost if a fire had broken out here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...nshire-15377833

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#30    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Both this disaster and Crogmañon Club  in Argentina were caused by the same things: use of phirotecnics inside the club, plastic sound insulation material in the roof that caught fire and created a deadly gas, and bad distribution/managment of the fire exits. Its truly a shame.

Im an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users