Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Good Friday and Easter Sunday

DieChecker

QUESTION:

One thing I've been thinking about recently was the "On the third day He rose again" thing. So, if Jesus died around 3 PM (for arguements sake) on Friday, and on the third day he was resurrected, then, wouldn't that make the day of the week he rose Monday? Saturday at three = one day. Sunday at three = two days. Monday at three = three days. I guess if he came to life over the night on Sunday, then he'd be in the middle of his third day of being dead. But, then Mary still wouldn't have found the empty tomb until Monday.

The Gospels say Jesus died well before dusk, 3 hours after noon.

Thus "On the third day...." would have to be after 3 PM on Sunday. Nicene Creed is clear that it was the third day.

Yet it was morning when Mary Magdalene went to the tomb, if I remember right. So that would have to be Monday.

Anyone have any insight into this Question?

Should we be celebrating Easter on Monday actually?? :innocent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection_of_Jesus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

Rose on the third day, not after the third day. Our language doesn't make much difference between the two but the ancient Romans and Jews counted days inclusively. Jesus wasn't dead for three days but His death spanned three days: starting at the ninth hour (~3PM) on Friday--day one--, the whole of Saturday--day two--, and returning in the first hour of Sunday--day three--.

Really, He spent about forty hours dead, which is the actually number of symbolism. Forty is the biblical number that signifies purgation and atonement; forty days and nights of storms for Noah, forty years wandering in the desert for the Israelites, forty days on the mountain for Moses to receive the Law, forty days and nights in the wilderness for Christ after His baptism and messianic call, and, finally, forty hours spent descending into Hell, harrowing the place, and slogging His way back out of it with the souls of everyone who had died before Him.

Holding the Christian Sabbath on Sunday makes sense for that reason, but I think it's a bit insensitive on our part. Jesus had been going solid since dinner time Thursday through the trials of a mythic hero--one wouldn't really expect Him to be up for entertaining company after that. It's no wonder He immediately vanished after telling the women He was back. There's likely an omitted scene from the Gospels of Jesus eating a victory sandwich in private, checking His email on the toilet, and taking the single most gloriously earned nap in human history.

• Like 3

and taking the single most gloriously earned nap in human history.

Perhaps a 40 minute power nap? :tu:

You know, before he went out and met with the Easter Bunny and started hiding eggs and chocolates.... :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

The Gospels are clear on two points - the sign of Jonah, and the rising on the first day of the week. The first day of the Week is Sunday. If we extrapolate back to this, then what we have is:

Wednesday - crucifixion.

Wednesday evening - evening 1

Thursday morning - day 1

Thursday evening - evening 2

Friday morning - day 2

Friday evening - evening 3

Saturday morning - day 3

Jesus then rose some time around Saturday morning or evening, leaving the tomb to be found empty on Sunday morning. This squares with the comment about the "sign of Jonah", a reference to the Old Testament figure who was in the belly of the great fish for "three days and three nights". This is the only logical conclusion I have come to the issue. The common protestant argument is that "days and nights" were often seen as malleable concepts, hence dying on Friday, staying dead on Saturday, and then rising on Sunday was still "three partial days and therefore in ancient times three days and nights". I don't agree with that particular reasoning, but I don't think it truly matters.

Either way, just as I have every year for the last 14 years I'll be boycotting Church again to worship God on my own. I don't agree with the Ishtar/Ostara roots of Easter and believe God wants us to worship him on God's terms, not man's terms.

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 3

Either way, just as I have every year for the last 14 years I'll be boycotting Church again to worship God on my own. I don't agree with the Ishtar/Ostara roots of Easter and believe God wants us to worship him on God's terms, not man's terms.

If you boycott holidays with pagan origins, does that mean you boycott Christmas as well? :)

If you boycott holidays with pagan origins, does that mean you boycott Christmas as well? :)

In the religious sense, absolutely, I won't be going to church on Christmas Day or saying any "Jesus was born this day all those centuries ago" kind of things. But I'll still participate in the culturally influenced giving-of-gifts. Last year I was pretty frugal (my only real family I have anymore told me and my brother "don't give us gifts, we're not going to give any to you"), but I do sing carols and promote the "good will to all" mantra (and my mum [RIP] loved watching the Carols in the Domain and Carols By Candlelight, which I will also watch in honour of her memory, and probably cry like a baby in her memory).. But I won't be doing anything particularly religious, and once again I'll boycott Christmas services at church.

If it helps in understanding my view, I will probably eat Easter Eggs and Hot Cross buns this Easter, but I won't be worshipping God in any of this behaviour. But I'll probably also sing Christmas carols where appropriate, provided the lyrics are theologically sound (eg, I'll sing "Hark now here, the angels sing...." but I'll trail into silence at "and man shall live forever more, because of Christmas Day....." since the theology behind this is wrong, man shall live forever more because of the resurrection. Christmas Day had almost nothing (apart from Jesus' birth, which is in the wrong season anyway, since it wasn't December, let alone the 25th day thereof) to do with it.

Hope that helps in your answer :)

~ Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1

I'm not "religious" anymore. Was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools all my life but I still, not sure if it's habit or not, I still do not eat meat on Fridays :lol: Also, on Good Friday I do sit quietly and think about the past year - the good, the bad, the ugly, how I want to improve this next year...and so on...between 1pm and 3pm. This thread just sparked this in me. Even though I don't go to church anymore I still have certain things "ingrained" in me. So, glad you found your answer Diechecker and thanks for making me *think* and reflect on myself. Have a great day everyone :tu:

• Like 3

Thats why another thread said he died on Thursday. I dont really think it matters. The point is to acknowledge both the death and the resurrection. Good Friday and Easter Sunday seem to work fine but you can switch to Thursday and even Saturday if you want I guess. It might make coordinating with others a little different but also could be fun!

Thanks everyone!

Have a good Easter.

• Like 2

Easter isn't on Ostara. Ostara is the first day of spring March 20st. Now the Bunnies and the eggs are Pagan, but we don't mind if y'all use them, we are happy to share. I'm making deviled eggs for Easter at brother's house.

I don't know why some Christians get all hung up on the time and date of Jesus's death. It is not something you're ever going to actually know for sure. Some how out of all the countless thousands of people the Romans murdered they didn't bother to mark the date and time of one Jewish carpenter son's death, I guess they just missed it.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 1

Easter isn't on Ostara. Ostara is the first day of spring March 20st. Now the Bunnies and the eggs are Pagan, but we don't mind if y'all use them, we are happy to share. I'm making deviled eggs for Easter at brother's house.

I don't know why some Christians get all hung up on the time and date of Jesus's death. It is not something you're ever going to actually know for sure. Some how out of all the countless thousands of people the Romans murdered they didn't bother to mark the date and time of one Jewish carpenter son's death, I guess they just missed it.

RE: Colored eggs. I've read a Christian children's book that claimed the colored eggs were from Mary making decorations for baby Jesus. I don't have any idea how true that is, but I've read it in a purportedly true children's book.

Red Eggs:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/49566/5-theories-about-why-we-dye-eggs-easter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg

http://www.monasteryicons.com/info/easter_egg.hzml

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/bytopic/holidays/fastlenteastereggs.html

QUESTION:

One thing I've been thinking about recently was the "On the third day He rose again" thing. So, if Jesus died around 3 PM (for arguements sake) on Friday, and on the third day he was resurrected, then, wouldn't that make the day of the week he rose Monday? Saturday at three = one day. Sunday at three = two days. Monday at three = three days. I guess if he came to life over the night on Sunday, then he'd be in the middle of his third day of being dead. But, then Mary still wouldn't have found the empty tomb until Monday.

The Gospels say Jesus died well before dusk, 3 hours after noon.

Thus "On the third day...." would have to be after 3 PM on Sunday. Nicene Creed is clear that it was the third day.

Yet it was morning when Mary Magdalene went to the tomb, if I remember right. So that would have to be Monday.

Anyone have any insight into this Question?

Should we be celebrating Easter on Monday actually?? :innocent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter

http://en.wikipedia....ection_of_Jesus

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Good_Friday

I don't think any one knows the exact days of Jesus`s ministry. but celibate it in the spring of the pagan belliefs of new beginning

Edited by docyabut2

Thanks everyone!

Have a good Easter.

Thanks. You too DieChecker!

• Like 1

RE: Colored eggs. I've read a Christian children's book that claimed the colored eggs were from Mary making decorations for baby Jesus. I don't have any idea how true that is, but I've read it in a purportedly true children's book.

Red Eggs:

http://mentalfloss.c...dye-eggs-easter

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Easter_egg

http://www.monastery...easter_egg.hzml

http://www.christian...eastereggs.html

I don't care if it is true or not, that's sweet. :wub:
  • Like 1

Many if not all the christian holidays have there roots in paganism.

Many if not all the European Christian holidays have their roots in European paganism.

Christian, pagan, or Jew, everyone's still human and humans all have a set of motivations and drives that are part of the standard package. It's only natural that our expressions of these motivations are going to resemble one another's, especially when everyone lives in an agrarian society.

And when there is a resemblance, or even a direct influence, it no longer becomes the specific territory of this group or the other. European paganism wasn't a religion so much as a way of going about daily life, with respect towards ancestral gods. The adoption of Christianity as the predominant religion didn't change what time of year the harvest was or when the spring thaw happened, but it did have the high holiday we call Easter that was itself contingent on the Jewish calendar's observance of agrarian holidays.

Christianity didn't steal anything from paganism, but distinct groups of pagans became Christians and they brought the methods they used to celebrate with them. Otherwise, whatever specific tradition Christianity "stole" would become as universal as the Lord's Prayer or Apostles' Creed, but each country has their own hereditary way of celebrating Easter and later Christmas, when it became a high holiday.

I'll sing "Hark now here, the angels sing...." but I'll trail into silence at "and man shall live forever more, because of Christmas Day....."

so.

you won't be singing much Boney M this year then PA, but could I interest you in a rousing rendition of Slade's 'merry xmas everybody' instead?

you know you want to.....

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

so.

you won't be singing much Boney M this year then PA, but could I interest you in a rousing rendition of Slade's 'merry xmas everybody' instead?

you know you want to.....

Depends on the context. Boney M is largely before my time but what I do know of them is catchy. But I'm not adverse to secular Christmas songs, so even though it's only April, Merry Christmas everybody :santa:
  • Like 1

Well, they must be one of the few Eurodisco groups inspired by the Psalms ..

In 1978, "Rivers of Babylon", a cover of a track by The Melodians with lyrics partly based on Psalm 137 and partly on Psalm 19,[16] became (at the time) the second highest-selling single of all time in the UK.

But perhaps are they secret Zionist? ...

• Like 1