Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Is feeding your children raw vegan diet nuts


  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#16    ealdwita

ealdwita

    Hwt oredmcg

  • Member
  • 4,747 posts
  • Joined:08 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:astcentingas , England

  • Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 24 March 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Is unpasteurised milk not dangerous?

'Accredited' herds (usually Herefords for some reason), have their health and condition very strictly monitored which enables their milk to be marketed without pasteurisation. There aren't many in the UK now but we're lucky to be near one of them.

View Postpreacherman76, on 24 March 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Oh man, you are living my dream. Id love nothing more then to live on a small farm and raise my own food. Dig a huge pond and raise fish ect ect. That would be great.

Damned hard work sometimes preacher, and for little reward! That's why we've diversified with a riding school, and host game-shooting parties in season. Still, it has its compensations. No fish pond, but there's trout in the stream below Lower Field.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#17    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    Fifth Element

  • Member
  • 9,827 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostBetrayal of Humanity, on 24 March 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I am a vegetarian, have been my whole life, except for a couple of years do to pressure from someone else.  As long as they are healthy and growing there is nothing wrong with it. Ouija Ouija, do you eat sugars like honey, maple syrup, molasses, etc?
I don't eat any sugars at all, not even fruit since I became borderline diabetic.

View PostQueen in the North, on 24 March 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Ouija, do you get enough B vitamins? Take any supplements, particularly B12?
No, they're a waste of money!

View Postealdwita, on 24 March 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

"A short life and a merry one, old buck"
(Wilfred Owen - 1893-1918)
'Amen' to that! :yes:

View PostKowalski, on 24 March 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

My rule of thumb on ingredients: If I can't pronounce it, it doesn't go in my body! :D
Brilliant!

Edited by ouija ouija, 24 March 2013 - 06:41 PM.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#18    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Joined:14 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:British Columbia

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Quote

Is unpasteurised milk not dangerous?

only if the animal is sick or if you leave it out and let it spoil, otherwise it should be fine to drink (disclaimer, if you do get sick, don't blame me XD ).

Edited by Bavarian Raven, 24 March 2013 - 07:08 PM.


#19    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Of course, humans aren't supposed to be vegetarians.  Humans are omnivores not herbivores.  This means that the healthiest diet for the human body is an omnivorous diet of both vegetables AND meat, not one or the other.

What these stupid parents don't realise is that whilst their vegan diet may be making them and their kids feel healthier, such an effect is only a short-term effect.  Over the long-term, however, such a diet eventually causes problems.

And what are the health problems caused by a vegan diet?  Here they are:
  • inadequate milk production for nursing mothers, as well as retarded physical and mental development in some children who are strictly on a vegan or raw food diet (someone especially needs to let the parents in that article know about this);
  • slow metabolism leading to a much less robust lifestyle;
  • a general lack of vitality;
  • low body temperature (always cold);
  • a weak, touchy digestive system with a loss of digestive strength (unable to metabolize food quickly, have to be careful what you eat, how much, must practice food combining to be able to digest food, etc.);
  • food cravings (especially among women);
  • stalled weight loss because metabolism is too low (predominately in women);
  • inability to gain weight, resulting in shrunken, cadaverous-looking bodies (predominately in men);
  • weight gains from overeating on carbohydrates;
  • amenorrhea (menstrual cycles cease), even in young women;
  • loss of libido;
  • hair loss and nail problems;
  • dental cavities, tooth loss, and gum problems;
  • joint pain
  • inability to conceive
So these parents may think they are making themselves and their children healthier by eating only vegetables and shunning meat and dairy products, but they are doing so only in the shortiterm.   If they keep doing it then their health will start to become worse due to them not receiving all the proper vitamins and minerals they need and they could start suffering some quite serious health problems.

Hopefully this post will shock any vegans reading it into changing their diet to include meat and dairy products.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 24 March 2013 - 07:19 PM.


#20    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 24 March 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Raw food is the best food because it is natural

No, it isn't.  Do you realise the harm you are doing by only eating raw food?

Vegans persist in thinking that eating only raw food is good for you because they believe it is "natural".  After all, aren't animals SUPPOSED to eat only raw food?

In fact scientists such as evolutionary biologists are now of the opinion that humans have been used to eating cooked food for such a long time - a few million years - that the human body now needs cooked food to stay healthy.  Evolution has caused us to need cooked food.

Studies have suggested that eating meat and COOKING food made us human, enabling the brains of our prehuman ancestors to grow dramatically over a period of a few million years, making us the extremely intelligent species we are today.  It would have been biologically implausible for humans to evolve such a large brain on a raw, vegan diet and that meat-eating was a crucial element of human evolution at least 1 million years before the dawn of homo sapiens.

Denise Minger wrote about the dangers of eating only raw food in her book "Raw Gone Wrong, When the Honeymoon is Over":

"…Almost without fail, the beginning of the diet yields a brilliant honeymoon phase—filled with surging energy, renewed vigor, and zest for your lively cuisine.

But somewhere down the line—months for some people, years for others—the wonder starts to wane. Maybe you start feeling like something is inexplicably missing. Maybe your energy takes a dive and noontime naps become the norm. Maybe your weight loss plateaus. Maybe your last dentist visit wasn’t so pretty. Maybe those niggly health problems you had prior to raw—aches and pains, lethargy, allergies, arthritis, skin conditions—start resurfacing out of nowhere. Whatever the reason, raw just doesn’t seem to be working as well as it did in the beginning. Your enthusiasm diminishes, and in its place comes doubt, discontentment, and a plethora of questions.

In other words, you start seeing raw foods’ freaky nose hairs and you begin to wonder: what did I get myself into?

My own raw honeymoon ended around the one-year mark. Intermittent fatigue, dental woes, hair loss, concentration problems, and some not-so-happy blood test results forced me to rethink the dietary regimen I was so tightly clutching. During this time, I started scouting out the counsel and wisdom of other disgruntled rawbies. What I discovered was this “honeymoon end” was a common phenomenon among raw foodists, and that its occurrence usually led to two things:

1. an expulsion from the raw community for being a dissenter or pot-stirrer for doubting the diet, and
2. a foray into other dietary regimens, such as paleo, low-carb, cooked vegan, macrobiotic, or ayurvedic."

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 24 March 2013 - 07:30 PM.


#21    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,607 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Certainly healthy eating is better, so cutting out the cr @ p they sell in plastic boxes with unpronounceable names is a good way to start. But not all "natural' is good for humans, so its trial and error.
People have allergies to certain natural things which only goes to show that just because it is natural does not always mean it is there for humans to eat as a rule.
I am not saying have processed or man made only, i am saying that those who swear by nuts and pulses must see that its not for everyone.

Edited by freetoroam, 24 March 2013 - 07:41 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#22    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,509 posts
  • Joined:04 May 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 24 March 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

~*Great post cut so as not to take up as much room!*~
I would also add to this the fact that you cannot get all of the vitamins you need from a vegan diet (B12 particularly, D also) unless you eat artifically fortified foods should be evidence that we are not supposed to be vegans.

Posted Image

#23    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 24 March 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Where to start?! :D

I am vegan apart from eating a couple of free-range eggs per week(that come from hens I know personally!), and about a quarter of my diet is raw(higher proportion in summer). The rest is cooked as little as possible. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. My diet is also sugar-free and I think this is a good place to start when trying to have a healthier diet. Once the 'jangley' sugar-craving has gone it's much easier to appreciate veggies.

Raw food is the best food because it is natural ......... AS LONG AS IT IS ORGANIC!! This is very important. The more refined a food is, the more additives there are, the more your body is put under stress trying to process that 'rubbish'(the body uses up energy and resources with no benefit).

And just to dispel the myth of limp, pasty-looking vegetarians: my vegetarian god-daughter has qualified to do cross-country running at County level and her vegetarian brother enters Iron Man contests and rows competitively.

The only thing you have to be careful with in small children is giving them too much fibre.

Dairy products have been linked to asthma for decades! They also increase mucus levels and lead people to have blocked noses and congested chests.

Makes me laugh that in the article they warn about putting children on 'exclusion diets' ........ as if excluding the things that are giving them chronic illnesses, limiting their (healthy)energy and making them nervy and anxious or aggressive is a bad thing!

Well said. :tu:

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 24 March 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

No, it isn't.  Do you realise the harm you are doing by only eating raw food?

Vegans persist in thinking that eating only raw food is good for you because they believe it is "natural".  After all, aren't animals SUPPOSED to eat only raw food?

In fact scientists such as evolutionary biologists are now of the opinion that humans have been used to eating cooked food for such a long time - a few million years - that the human body now needs cooked food to stay healthy.  Evolution has caused us to need cooked food.

Studies have suggested that eating meat and COOKING food made us human, enabling the brains of our prehuman ancestors to grow dramatically over a period of a few million years, making us the extremely intelligent species we are today.  It would have been biologically implausible for humans to evolve such a large brain on a raw, vegan diet and that meat-eating was a crucial element of human evolution at least 1 million years before the dawn of homo sapiens.

Denise Minger wrote about the dangers of eating only raw food in her book "Raw Gone Wrong, When the Honeymoon is Over":

"…Almost without fail, the beginning of the diet yields a brilliant honeymoon phase—filled with surging energy, renewed vigor, and zest for your lively cuisine.

But somewhere down the line—months for some people, years for others—the wonder starts to wane. Maybe you start feeling like something is inexplicably missing. Maybe your energy takes a dive and noontime naps become the norm. Maybe your weight loss plateaus. Maybe your last dentist visit wasn’t so pretty. Maybe those niggly health problems you had prior to raw—aches and pains, lethargy, allergies, arthritis, skin conditions—start resurfacing out of nowhere. Whatever the reason, raw just doesn’t seem to be working as well as it did in the beginning. Your enthusiasm diminishes, and in its place comes doubt, discontentment, and a plethora of questions.

In other words, you start seeing raw foods’ freaky nose hairs and you begin to wonder: what did I get myself into?

My own raw honeymoon ended around the one-year mark. Intermittent fatigue, dental woes, hair loss, concentration problems, and some not-so-happy blood test results forced me to rethink the dietary regimen I was so tightly clutching. During this time, I started scouting out the counsel and wisdom of other disgruntled rawbies. What I discovered was this “honeymoon end” was a common phenomenon among raw foodists, and that its occurrence usually led to two things:

1. an expulsion from the raw community for being a dissenter or pot-stirrer for doubting the diet, and
2. a foray into other dietary regimens, such as paleo, low-carb, cooked vegan, macrobiotic, or ayurvedic."

Actually cooking most food kills the goodness.

You always post very elitist stuff... Makes me wonder about your agenda. I'm not the first person to notice this either.

Anyway i eat raw and I'm probably a lot stronger and healthier than you.

View PostQueen in the North, on 24 March 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

I would also add to this the fact that you cannot get all of the vitamins you need from a vegan diet (B12 particularly, D also) unless you eat artifically fortified foods should be evidence that we are not supposed to be vegans.



http://www.naturalne..._B12_vegan.html

People who state thta about Vitimin B12 are listening to media propaganda. If you know how B12 works you will know that is wrong.

As for Vitamin D, there is this big Yellow thing in the sky that gives you it. If you don't wear sunscreen it is really good for you and prevents cancers... (not gives you cancer like pharmaceutical companies try to tell you)


Anyway Spirulina gives you B12, protein and iron. I use that and I certainly don't suffer from B12 deficiency.


Do you know how much money pharmaceutical industry, Meat industry and Processed Food industry make, their worst nightmare is people being smart enough to eat properly and them lose out on creating cancer and other diseases then making you pay stupid amounts to try and stop it.

Edited by Coffey, 24 March 2013 - 09:29 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#24    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Pineapple under the Sea

  • Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Me and my kids eat whatever we want really.  We eat meat, eggs, cheese, milk, fruit, veg, chocolate, sweets, pizza and even chicken nuggets if we fancy.

They don't have pizza and sweets every day, they have them as treats.

They get plenty of fresh air and time spent running and playing.  I think everything in moderation is fine.


#25    WoIverine

WoIverine

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,716 posts
  • Joined:16 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

Just make sure they get enough protein in their diets...especially if you have young male children. Without meat, it may be more difficult for them to put on muscle mass as they get older. Ah, and since there are several species of plants that contain phytoestrogens, might want to keep your male kids away from those as well. Also, B12 cannot be properly absorbed by the body if you do not have adequate species of gut bacteria to absorb it. People who have been on long term antibiotics have a tendency to lack B12 in proper amounts as a result.

Edited by WoIverine, 24 March 2013 - 11:17 PM.


#26    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    Fifth Element

  • Member
  • 9,827 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 24 March 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

And just to dispel the myth of limp, pasty-looking vegetarians: my vegetarian(since birth) god-daughter has qualified to do cross-country running at County level and her vegetarian(since birth) brother enters Iron Man contests and rows competitively.

View PostWoIverine, on 24 March 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

Without meat, it may be more difficult for them to put on muscle mass as they get older.


Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#27    WoIverine

WoIverine

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,716 posts
  • Joined:16 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

I'd take protein from meat over protein from vegetables every single time. Too much estrogen in plants. Higher testosterone equals...faster, leaner muscle growth.

Edited by WoIverine, 24 March 2013 - 11:33 PM.


#28    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,509 posts
  • Joined:04 May 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 24 March 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

No, they're a waste of money!
Veganism is actually one of the few reasons health professionals do recommend supplements. Do you eat eggs to supply your body with specific vitamins such as B12, or for protein?

Posted Image

#29    mike72

mike72

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined:20 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 24 March 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Me and my kids eat whatever we want really.  We eat meat, eggs, cheese, milk, fruit, veg, chocolate, sweets, pizza and even chicken nuggets if we fancy.

They don't have pizza and sweets every day, they have them as treats.

They get plenty of fresh air and time spent running and playing.  I think everything in moderation is fine.


Yes, best post on this topic.
Let your kids be kids, treat them to pizza, even taking them to Mc donalds for the rare treat. Everything in moderation.
And who the hell names their kid Apple, LOL

Edited by mike72, 24 March 2013 - 11:42 PM.


#30    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    Fifth Element

  • Member
  • 9,827 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

My comments below in bold green :)

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 24 March 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Of course, humans aren't supposed to be vegetarians.  Humans are omnivores not herbivores.  This means that the healthiest diet for the human body is an omnivorous diet of both vegetables AND meat, not one or the other.
The bottom line is that humans can survive on a diet of just about anything. Inuit people survive almost exclusively on flesh, others in the world eat mainly rice, others just buttermilk and cheese. And in the Western world many people survive on soda drinks, chips and burgers. All these groups contain people who apparently thrive on their specialised diet, and people who get sick on it.  
What these stupid parents don't realise is that whilst their vegan diet may be making them and their kids feel healthier, such an effect is only a short-term effect.  Over the long-term, however, such a diet eventually causes problems.
I wonder where you got this information from, because my personal experience has been that long-term vegetarianism/veganism produces healthier people the longer they're on the diet(when comparing them with their meat-eating peers).


And what are the health problems caused by a vegan diet?  Here they are:
  • inadequate milk production for nursing mothers, as well as retarded physical and mental development in some children who are strictly on a vegan or raw food diet (someone especially needs to let the parents in that article know about this);
  • slow metabolism leading to a much less robust lifestyle;
  • a general lack of vitality;
  • low body temperature (always cold);
  • a weak, touchy digestive system with a loss of digestive strength (unable to metabolize food quickly, have to be careful what you eat, how much, must practice food combining to be able to digest food, etc.);
  • food cravings (especially among women);
  • stalled weight loss because metabolism is too low (predominately in women);
  • inability to gain weight, resulting in shrunken, cadaverous-looking bodies (predominately in men);
  • weight gains from overeating on carbohydrates;
  • amenorrhea (menstrual cycles cease), even in young women;
  • loss of libido;
  • hair loss and nail problems;
  • dental cavities, tooth loss, and gum problems;
  • joint pain
  • inability to conceive
The above list is an absolute nonsense! Where did you get it from? It would be interesting to see what the results were when comparing a group of vegans with a comparable group of meat-eaters, regarding the list of problems above.
So these parents may think they are making themselves and their children healthier by eating only vegetables and shunning meat and dairy products, but they are doing so only in the shortiterm.   If they keep doing it then their health will start to become worse due to them not receiving all the proper vitamins and minerals they need and they could start suffering some quite serious health problems.

Hopefully this post will shock any vegans reading it into changing their diet to include meat and dairy products.

:lol:


Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users