Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Army recruitment at 16 'should stop'


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

    My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

  • Member
  • 6,293 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

I guess this will make it difficult for me to get my National Concription bill through Parliament when I become PM?

Quote

The "outdated" practice of recruiting 16-year-olds into the Army is wasting up to £94m a year and should stop, two human rights groups have said.

Child Soldiers International and ForcesWatch claim it costs the Ministry of Defence (MoD) twice as much to train a 16-year-old as it does an adult.

That is due to longer training and a higher drop-out rate, they say.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 8,169 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

so no breaches then?


#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,749 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

I can see their point, but shouldn`t the human rights brigade be concentrating more on the 6 year old kids being forced to fight in third world countries first? I know they were on the case years back, but its still happening today and is far more frightening than this.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

    My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

  • Member
  • 6,293 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 23 April 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

I can see their point, but shouldn`t the human rights brigade be concentrating more on the 6 year old kids being forced to fight in third world countries first? I know they were on the case years back, but its still happening today and is far more frightening than this.

I could tell you a few stories..(save that for another time)..

You don’t need to look much further than Kony and his Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), There are more but I am using him as an example, to see the problem with child soldiers.

Over 100,000 abducted children forced to become soldiers & child-sex slaves…


Posted Image

#5    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Pineapple under the Sea

  • Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

My step son is 16 in December and wants to join the RAF, he seems FAR FAR too young to me.  But I guess that is the step mum part of me speaking.  Although he will be doing A levels first anyway so he wouldn't be 16 at joining.  I guess to parents our kids will always seem too young for that kind of thing.  Having said that, I do know some other parents who have had kids join at 16 and have said it was amazing watching how the kids grew and changed in to adults, so much faster than their friends who went on to college or uni.


#6    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

    My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

  • Member
  • 6,293 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 23 April 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

My step son is 16 in December and wants to join the RAF, he seems FAR FAR too young to me.  But I guess that is the step mum part of me speaking.  Although he will be doing A levels first anyway so he wouldn't be 16 at joining.  I guess to parents our kids will always seem too young for that kind of thing.  Having said that, I do know some other parents who have had kids join at 16 and have said it was amazing watching how the kids grew and changed in to adults, so much faster than their friends who went on to college or uni.

I know what you mean.. I see the bodies of our fallen being flown home and most look like babies.

Posted Image

#7    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postxsas, on 23 April 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

I guess this will make it difficult for me to get my National Concription bill through Parliament when I become PM?

View: Read more

I think we should test kids at the age of 14 and if its unlikey they will get at least 5 GCSEs at grade C ship them off to the army. They should stay in until 21 and be taught discipline, team working skills and a trade.

If war happens they should be used first to reduce their numbers. This would counteract the bottom end of society breeding like rabbits and lowering the average national IQ level.


#8    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 8,169 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostGiant Killer B, on 23 April 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

I think we should test kids at the age of 14 and if its unlikey they will get at least 5 GCSEs at grade C ship them off to the army. They should stay in until 21 and be taught discipline, team working skills and a trade.

If war happens they should be used first to reduce their numbers. This would counteract the bottom end of society breeding like rabbits and lowering the average national IQ level.
You are joking right?


#9    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

    My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

  • Member
  • 6,293 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostGiant Killer B, on 23 April 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

I think we should test kids at the age of 14 and if its unlikey they will get at least 5 GCSEs at grade C ship them off to the army. They should stay in until 21 and be taught discipline, team working skills and a trade.

If war happens they should be used first to reduce their numbers. This would counteract the bottom end of society breeding like rabbits and lowering the average national IQ level.

Fodder.. Loved that post for all the wrong reasons.... going to have to make you Deputy PM when I am in No10..

Edited to Add for all the wrong reasons

Edited by xsas, 23 April 2013 - 03:58 PM.

Posted Image

#10    keithisco

keithisco

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,820 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rincon de Loix, Benidorm

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Stupid Editorial!!  

The Army , Air Force, and RN give the best training available, and some of the very few organisations that give credibility to offering an Apprenticeship (very rare in the UK). The quality of education and training are second to none. None of these 16 yr olds will be sent into Combat Situations but will learn Mechanics, Electronics, IT, Strategy etc etc.

In short, they will have a career ahead of them whether inside or outside of the Armed Forces: that is their choice when they turn 18Yrs of age.


#11    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

View Postxsas, on 23 April 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Fodder.. Loved that post for all the wrong reasons.... going to have to make you Deputy PM when I am in No10..

Edited to Add for all the wrong reasons

Thanks, let me know where to send my cv


#12    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,547 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 23 April 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Stupid Editorial!!  

The Army , Air Force, and RN give the best training available, and some of the very few organisations that give credibility to offering an Apprenticeship (very rare in the UK). The quality of education and training are second to none. None of these 16 yr olds will be sent into Combat Situations but will learn Mechanics, Electronics, IT, Strategy etc etc.

In short, they will have a career ahead of them whether inside or outside of the Armed Forces: that is their choice when they turn 18Yrs of age.

valid points made throughout, especially the part in bold. - one of our greats Horatio Nelson joined the Royal Navy at the age of 13.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users