Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

A possible sighting of two suns in NYC

2 suns two suns sky anomaly

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I seen this in the afternoon and thought it was worth taking a picture of. My guess it is 2 suns. The sun which is obviously on the left and the other light source which was visible to the sun as I took this picture. Its was partially cloudy and the pictures where taken from a in the time span of 3:20pm - 3:30pm on the date of 1/2/2013.  I cannot say for certain it is two actually suns but it seems to be an anomaly I am now aware of. This would not be the first time I have seen this. I have this once before in westechester county in NY, but it wasnt appearing on my camera though I still attempted and took pictures. The ones you see here today are from yesterdays sighting. And no this is not a lense flare. Because I was able to see this with my own eyes and was able to record it on video. 2 suns or not I find this pretty interesting.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Let me know what you guys think....

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#2    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,322 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Just a hole in the clouds with extra edge-reflection?

#4    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,208 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Sundog.

Posted Image

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#5    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

The two suns threads are just so...  So...

So...

What's the word I'm looking for?

Arg?

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#6    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postpallidin, on 03 January 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

Just a hole in the clouds with extra edge-reflection?

I really wish I could say that but see it with my own eyes... I could tell you now there wasnt any hole in the clouds because it appeared to be two distinctive light source from behind the clouds. It was visble for about 30 mins from time I came outside my cousins house. I wont rule out the option me being wrong though... it visibe

#7    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,833 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Just like Nibs said, sundog. Refraction off of ice crystals in the atmosphere.

View PostDr. Mrdad, on 03 January 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

You can also immediately tell that it is a sundog because of the color. The ice crystals act as prisms and the side closest to the sun is always red.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 03 January 2013 - 04:20 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#8    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 03 January 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

The two suns threads are just so...  So...

So...

What's the word I'm looking for?

Arg?

I know, I know. I look and feel the same way when I see others posting about two sun, but usually the pictures use do not belong to them, with out any reference of date and time. You have all three now. After seeing this twice in a matter of a month. I had to take that picture and share it with you guys to figure this dang thing out. I am still a skeptic on the 2 suns topic, but I thought it was something worth sharing.

#9    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Im gonna see if I could upload the video to youtube

#10    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,208 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I've seen the same phenomenon at my own home.  Like I said.  Sundogs.  Very cool but not two suns.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#11    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostDr. Mrdad, on 03 January 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

I know, I know. I look and feel the same way when I see others posting about two sun, but usually the pictures use do not belong to them, with out any reference of date and time. You have all three now. After seeing this twice in a matter of a month. I had to take that picture and share it with you guys to figure this dang thing out. I am still a skeptic on the 2 suns topic, but I thought it was something worth sharing.
I was just teasing. :)

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#12    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Given that a second sun would have come with a huge temperature increase, a change in orbit, and mass death I'm thinking sundogs is the more likely explaination. ;)

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#13    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostCorp, on 03 January 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Given that a second sun would have come with a huge temperature increase, a change in orbit, and mass death I'm thinking sundogs is the more likely explaination. ;)

I agree. And as far as I can tell, it's still pretty chilly here, even as far south as I am. I think two suns would definitely change the dynamic of seasons. And why would it magically appear, then disappear? If so, where'd it come from and where'd it go?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#14    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,964 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 03 January 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

I agree. And as far as I can tell, it's still pretty chilly here, even as far south as I am. I think two suns would definitely change the dynamic of seasons. And why would it magically appear, then disappear? If so, where'd it come from and where'd it go?
Yep...kinda large to just up and vanish from one moment to the next.  But it's a cool picture anyway :)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#15    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Sun dog??  Seems to be a likely explanation to what I witnessed yesterday..... poop :cry: .(sigh)..Just when I thought with there being two suns, that petition for the death star would've definitely got that approval :tsu: :gun:   ...ohh well <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users