Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Searching Family History

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    ScaryD

ScaryD

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 12:46 PM

Slightly off-topic, if anyone is interested in researching their family history I found this brilliant website:  

www.ellisislandrecords.org

If you register you can search records of immigrants entering the US around the turn of last century.  It's FREE!

Do a search for your surname and you will find a list of full names, ages, where they were from, the name of the ship they went over in etc.  You can even view the ships original manifest which includes hand-written info like who paid for the trip, the address of the person they were going to visit/stay with, distinguishing marks and even whether they were a polygamist or an anarchist!  Where available there is also a photo and description of the ship itself.  You may find a member of the ships crew with your name  - the staff records are very entertaining.  A cook who can read!  An assett!

Anyway, it makes fascinating reading - go have a look!

:sk :su

Every time a child says 'I don't believe in fairies'  there is a little fairy somewhere that falls down dead.J.M.Barrie | Peter Pan

#2    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 23 February 2002 - 10:21 PM

I'll pass that on to my dad, cos he's been doing our family tree for years - Ta!  :)

never take me too seriously

#3    Sheff_Pud

Sheff_Pud

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for this site.
Just had a quick look and found two with my mothers maiden name but they they were 1 and 3 years ol at the time and do not appear on the manifest, curiously neither does any adult of the same name.
The manifest numbers given show 2 men with different names also.  ???

Surgeons must be very carefulWhen they take the knife!Underneath their fine incisionsStirs the Culprit -- Life!                            (Emily Dickinson)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users