Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Pet. Peeves.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

EllJay, we had a VHS recorder, about twenty years ago, when whatever we played back it fast forwarded through the commercials automatically. It finally died and I tried to find another one and they had been taken off the market. Nobody I talked to had even ever heard of them.

#32    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,431 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

I heard of them Michelle, but never had one.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#33    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 14 March 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

I heard of them Michelle, but never had one.

It was the best thing since sliced bread. :P

#34    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 13 March 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

Neighbors generally stink as of late.  What we need is a medieval castle with a moat around it.

Let me assure you, nothing - but nothing - stank like a castle moat in summer! Imagine all those 'garderobes' discharging directly into the water!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#35    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

• My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. A.A Milne

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Intolerance, my pet peeve is intolerance without a doubt lol.

#36    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostMichelle, on 14 March 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

EllJay, we had a VHS recorder, about twenty years ago, when whatever we played back it fast forwarded through the commercials automatically. It finally died and I tried to find another one and they had been taken off the market. Nobody I talked to had even ever heard of them.
The only problem with VHS's is the actual tape getting tangled up.However adverts are like the speed of light when it isn't.However I prefer Sky Plus.Their motto is " press and record".It's a shame there isn't a DVD that can record programmes.If only to get rid of the sickly smell of ad's.So you can say these are a bit of a pet peeve.Why are they so unusually loud?They are tres irritating when they try to sell insurance or thinly disguise themselves as a reputable giver of loans.Shame there isn't a picture of a shark!They also try to flog a lot of unhealthy stuff.I wish all the characters take a leaf out of the Welsh opera singers fate by being sucked into a black hole manufactured by Stephen Hawking.

What also irritates me is guys that type really huge paragraphs. They are like 40 rows high and totally unreadable.They are mostly but not exclusively about " alleged" sightings of UFO's and ghosts. Some of their computers have not been supplied with an " enter" button.It's usually newbies that compound us with these posts.

Edited by Medium Brown, 14 March 2013 - 08:54 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#37    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Smallprint that needs a degree is law to understand.
Putting empty or near empty food containers back in the cupboard/fridge,
Waiting for people after they say I'll be there at such a time,
Shopping with a woman...having to try everything on
Excuses/ blatant lies...so you slept in, couldn't be bothered just keep it real respect that far more...
rant list over

Edited by ciriuslea, 14 March 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#38    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,170 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

View Postealdwita, on 14 March 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Let me assure you, nothing - but nothing - stank like a castle moat in summer! Imagine all those 'garderobes' discharging directly into the water!

I had to run off to Google to look up definition of 'garderobes'. But I had actually seen this before on a TV show about castles.   They showed a castle on the river dropping its trap door of waste into the water.   A real joy for nearby boats.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#39    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

Child of Skaro

• 5,393 posts

• There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A symptom of the universe

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

People who say "now that wasn't so bad was it?" when I never SAID it was bad to begin with.

When people find out at college that I know the answer to pretty much everything they teach us, and suddenly everyone wants to sit next to me in class. I think I'll stick to being a loner, thanks.

People who are unnecessarily loud during class, then ask to copy my notes. Maybe if you shut your mouth and opened your notebook, you'd know what was talked about.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02

#40    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,154 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostMichelle, on 14 March 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

Yeah, you see there, the bloody b******* are trying to suppress it. It's a conspiracy I tell you.
I bet there is a signal that goes on with the commercials so if one was handy in electronics one might pick it up and implement it in ones newer system. Whould be worth quite a sum of money on the black market: Guaranteed Ad-free bull**** Gimmik . I would buy 3 just for the hell of it.
There is a certain ring in hell dedicated to ad-makers and door-to-door salesman where they shall never  get any quarter from rabid doorknockers, phone-terrorists and paper-ad avalanches.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#41    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 4,567 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Lately my biggest pet peeve is when someone comes up to a stop light and stops two full car lengths behind the car in front of them... Especially when there are multiple lights close together (which also annoys me)... this often forces people to be stopped several times by the same light, and only helps to further snarl traffic, or not being able to enter a turn only lane because some so-and-so hasn't pulled up closer to the car in front to let you in...

EDIT: And don't get me started on how peeved I get when some clown emptys his garderobe into my moat!...  That's where my moat monster lives and they are an endangered species... It tears at my heart when I see Squiggy writhing around (or at least his 15 upper tentacles) in such discomfort... He's got sensitive skin you know, and that 'poo' causes his normally healthy coat of slime to slough off leaving him vulnerable to that brutal Oklahoma sun...

Do you have any idea how much sun screen it takes (spf 1000) to coat one of them? Poo in the moat was what killed off his wife Gladys (that wasn't her real name of course... but I lack the tripple vocal channels they do and so can't pronounce any of their names)...

It's pretty hard to find unattached female moat monsters here in the States (most of them are either in hiding or in congress)... So if any of my Euro-friends has a spare single female(ish) moat monster laying around, maybe we could do some match making and make poor old squiggy happy (well... as happy as a moat monster can get)...

Edited by Taun, 19 March 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#42    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,406 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Wish I could help you but moat monsters are extinct in Asia.

#43    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,431 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

I remembered another pet peeve of mine over the weekend: people who lecture car drivers about motorcycle safety when half the time I see a motorcyclist on the highway, they are weaving in and out of traffic and they don't feel that they should sit at a traffic light like the rest of us but slowly wind their way through the stationary cars in order to get to the front of the line and take off first. I know not all of them do this - especially Harley Davidson owners - but enough of the others do it to get me peeved.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#44    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,406 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

That's standard in Vietnam, although here they are mostly little motorbikes.  Anyone in a car here is an idiot -- it takes triple the time to get anywhere and there's no place to park.

#45    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,431 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Nice Frank!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users