Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Should Cigarettes Be Illegal?

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#136    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostRender, on 14 February 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

This kind of smoker? But every smoker is like that. They all think the world ends with them and that their smoke just disappears went it enters their bodies.
They never truly understand what an annoyance they are to others and they don't care. They refuse to understand the true magnitude of the consequences of their behavior because they limit their thinking and are selfish.

This is a pretty arrogant statement!As i said i only smoke when i drink and if there are any non-smokers around i always go outside.I guess if you own a vehicle that runs on gas we all need to start calling you a hypocrite because you are polluting the air we breath,volcano's ban them,anything that ever burns ban,ban,ban.Not trying to be a smartass but on this topic your arrogance and assumptions are way out there man.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#137    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,605 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 14 February 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

This is a pretty arrogant statement!As i said i only smoke when i drink and if there are any non-smokers around i always go outside.I guess if you own a vehicle that runs on gas we all need to start calling you a hypocrite because you are polluting the air we breath,volcano's ban them,anything that ever burns ban,ban,ban.Not trying to be a smartass but on this topic your arrogance and assumptions are way out there man.

I would agree.

I only smoke when not around non-smoker's... I respect their issue with it. I will go outside without reservation, and they respect that.

When I've had my times of non-smoking, weeks, months or even years, I could not handle being around cigarette smoke, so I do understand it from personal experience. During my non-smoking periods, being around, inhaling smoke made me so dizzy.

My take on this is this... cigarette smoke is a powerful, nearly immediate drug that is very disconcerting to non-smokers. As such, I choose to respect both my own desire to smoke but, more especially, getting myself away from non-smokers when I do lite-up.

#138    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• 1,298 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 14 February 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

I just think overall, that in my 45 years on this world that the current crop is more self absorbed. I saw a article once that showed what people most hoped to gain in life. 50 years ago, they hoped for happiness and a good family, and currently the biggest hope is for Fame or Recognition. The article claimed that todays young adults would rather be Famous then be Smart, or Wealthy, or Successful, or Educated. That is a new phenomena. People used to "worship" famous people and hoped to meet them some day. But now people hope to Be them and do so Quickly.

Well you now can say you have talked to someone from that generation who still hopes for happiness and a good family. I would much rather be smart and successful than be famous. In my opinion, fame is glorified to such an extent that it is laughable. I would hate to be famous because I love my privacy. I do agree with you though, many people in my generation do want fame and recognition above all else. It is very sad to watch from my perspective, but it is your generation that utterly failed to raise us to value the right things (not you in particular, but your generation). Not my parents, but many parents of people I know failed to raise their kids with the right values. They were lazy parents, letting their children be raised by TV, video games, and social media. So sad.

#139    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Good to see there are so many positive counterreactions to my extreme statements. Shows that smokers are becoming aware and the "smoking is cool" image is shifting towards the "smoking is simply something to be ashamed off".
Nice.

Sometimes it takes extreme statements to get out the real emotions behind something, in this case ppl honestly coming forward saying they are fully aware smoking is an annoyance and something not to burden others with.

#140    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostRender, on 14 February 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

Good to see there are so many positive counterreactions to my extreme statements. Shows that smokers are becoming aware and the "smoking is cool" image is shifting towards the "smoking is simply something to be ashamed off".
Nice.
Not to be ashamed of, it's an activity I know others don't enjoy, so why force them to be around it? Now could they stop trying to ban smoking outside?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#141    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,058 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostRender, on 14 February 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

Nice.

Sometimes it takes extreme statements to get out the real emotions behind something, in this case ppl honestly coming forward saying they are fully aware smoking is an annoyance and something not to burden others with.

I am not ashamed off smoking occasionally,just courteous to others.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#142    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,058 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 February 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

Not to be ashamed of, it's an activity I know others don't enjoy, so why force them to be around it? Now could they stop trying to ban smoking outside?

You beat me by about 1 min with that response :lol:

#143    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,730 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 February 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

With the exception of activities that include kids, I am ok with smoking outside.  I was so p***ed when my daughter was playing ball and a dad watching the game stood in front of the bleachers, blowing smoke in everyone's space.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#144    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,319 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

A sad note - Terrie Hall, the woman featured in US Govt. anti-smoking videos, has died at 53.

http://www.cdc.gov/t...ies/terrie.html

http://www.foxnews.c...-advocate-dies/

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users