Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

[Merged]Boy,10,finds 'a mummy' in grandmother's attic

mummy alexander kettler grandmothers attic wooden crate hieroglyphic adornments

  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 37,625 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

A 10-year-old German boy has found what appears to be a mummy hidden in a corner of his grandmother's attic.

The "mummy" was inside a sarcophagus complete with hieroglyphic adornments, packed in a wooden crate.

But it is unclear whether the bandaged item found by Alexander Kettler in Diepholz, northern Germany, is a genuine relic from ancient Egypt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23553074

Posted Image

#2    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 9,209 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 02 August 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

A 10-year-old German boy has found what appears to be a mummy hidden in a corner of his grandmother's attic.

The "mummy" was inside a sarcophagus complete with hieroglyphic adornments, packed in a wooden crate.

But it is unclear whether the bandaged item found by Alexander Kettler in Diepholz, northern Germany, is a genuine relic from ancient Egypt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23553074


Ooh lets hope its a real one then. If not then theres been some effort making it look like the real thing. Id have been tempted to run a metal detector over it to see if it had gold and other precious objects in the wrappings... I guess once it goes to the 'experts', and if genuine, then any gold and stuff will be claimed by some authority or museum, tho its been in his home for 40 years so by rights anything found should be his

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#3    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Unfortunately this is an obvious fake. The crossed arms that only a pharaoh would have are the first clue. Certainly there are missing pharaohs, but the arms crossed pose is something taken up by film makers for all mummies, and seen by the general public, and fakers, as the normal practise. I very much doubt we have here a previously undiscovered pharaoh's mummy. Also the bandaging is wrong, even for late period mummies, which were actualy reasonably well made to see from exterior, depending on how much you paid, but the actual mummification was terrible. Without a going into discourse on mummy wrapping, it simply looks wrong in all aspects. I am sure a better demolition of this "mummy" will be made in due course here by one more expert than I. The "coffin" by the way is an obvious prop and even seems to lined with material that have laughable hieroglyphs on it. Real Egyptian coffins had the hieroglyphs painted directly onto the wood, not linings as they never used them.

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri, 03 August 2013 - 07:36 PM.


#4    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostTutankhaten-pasheri, on 03 August 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

Unfortunately this is an obvious fake. The crossed arms that only a pharaoh would have are the first clue. Certainly there are missing pharaohs, but the arms crossed pose is something taken up by film makers for all mummies, and seen by the general public, and fakers, as the normal practise. I very much doubt we have here a previously undiscovered pharaoh's mummy. Also the bandaging is wrong, even for late period mummies, which were actualy reasonably well made to see from exterior, depending on how much you paid, but the actual mummification was terrible. Without a going into discourse on mummy wrapping, it simply looks wrong in all aspects. I am sure a better demolition of this "mummy" will be made in due course here by one more expert than I. The "coffin" by the way is an obvious prop and even seems to lined with material that have laughable hieroglyphs on it. Real Egyptian coffins had the hieroglyphs painted directly onto the wood, not linings as they never used them.

Maybe this is from their unknown colony which separete a little?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#5    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

View Postthe L, on 03 August 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Maybe this is from their unknown colony which separete a little?
There of course is a possibility that it is a genuine mummy, but there is more against it than for it. The box can be completely discarded as it is modern, or within the last hundred or so years. While there is a visible criss cross pattern to the wrappings, the general look, particulary the area of the arms, is wrong. And as I mentioned, if this is genuine, then it is big news because the crossed arms indicate a pharaoh, though the bandaging is certainly "sub prime". I think it will be under a scanner soon enough and the truth known. I will guess at fairground fake on the basis of the fake box and crude and incorrect wrapping.


#6    Purifier

Purifier

    Psychic Eye

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Joined:12 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Male

  • Wild Card

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostTutankhaten-pasheri, on 03 August 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

Unfortunately this is an obvious fake. The crossed arms that only a pharaoh would have are the first clue. Certainly there are missing pharaohs, but the arms crossed pose is something taken up by film makers for all mummies, and seen by the general public, and fakers, as the normal practise. I very much doubt we have here a previously undiscovered pharaoh's mummy. Also the bandaging is wrong, even for late period mummies, which were actualy reasonably well made to see from exterior, depending on how much you paid, but the actual mummification was terrible. Without a going into discourse on mummy wrapping, it simply looks wrong in all aspects. I am sure a better demolition of this "mummy" will be made in due course here by one more expert than I. The "coffin" by the way is an obvious prop and even seems to lined with material that have laughable hieroglyphs on it. Real Egyptian coffins had the hieroglyphs painted directly onto the wood, not linings as they never used them.

View PostTutankhaten-pasheri, on 03 August 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

There of course is a possibility that it is a genuine mummy, but there is more against it than for it. The box can be completely discarded as it is modern, or within the last hundred or so years. While there is a visible criss cross pattern to the wrappings, the general look, particulary the area of the arms, is wrong. And as I mentioned, if this is genuine, then it is big news because the crossed arms indicate a pharaoh, though the bandaging is certainly "sub prime". I think it will be under a scanner soon enough and the truth known. I will guess at fairground fake on the basis of the fake box and crude and incorrect wrapping.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, also the bandages look too clean / too new. No heavy stains or the usual yellow coloring of the bandages that comes with mummies through time.

So if that be the case, which it looks like a faker to me, I also hope that it's not a real body wrapped up and someone died 50 or 60 years ago just to be made into a mummy for profit; especially if it was a individual that was murdered. Hope there is just straw and mud inside those bandages or some kind of other stuffing, if it turns out to be fake.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#7    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostPurifier, on 03 August 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

I also hope that it's not a real body wrapped up and someone died 50 or 60 years ago just to be made into a mummy for profit
Also, but imagine if it was unwrapped and it was Hitler.....


#8    Purifier

Purifier

    Psychic Eye

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Joined:12 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Male

  • Wild Card

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostTutankhaten-pasheri, on 04 August 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Also, but imagine if it was unwrapped and it was Hitler.....


Okay now that I don't mind.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#9    MrBene

MrBene

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Joined:31 Jul 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio Gallegos, Argentina

  • A regular guy

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostTutankhaten-pasheri, on 03 August 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

Unfortunately this is an obvious fake. The crossed arms that only a pharaoh would have are the first clue. Certainly there are missing pharaohs, but the arms crossed pose is something taken up by film makers for all mummies, and seen by the general public, and fakers, as the normal practise. I very much doubt we have here a previously undiscovered pharaoh's mummy. Also the bandaging is wrong, even for late period mummies, which were actualy reasonably well made to see from exterior, depending on how much you paid, but the actual mummification was terrible. Without a going into discourse on mummy wrapping, it simply looks wrong in all aspects. I am sure a better demolition of this "mummy" will be made in due course here by one more expert than I. The "coffin" by the way is an obvious prop and even seems to lined with material that have laughable hieroglyphs on it. Real Egyptian coffins had the hieroglyphs painted directly onto the wood, not linings as they never used them.

This. The coffin was my first clue. Perhaps is prop from a movie or something.


#10    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

    Buratinologist

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Joined:22 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:страна дураков

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostMrBene, on 04 August 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

This. The coffin was my first clue. Perhaps is prop from a movie or something.
Could be as it is rather elaborate. I cannot see why such effort would be made for something trivial. Perhaps we will find that one of the kids relatives in the past was in movie industry. A mummy in a coffin would be an interesting memento to take home after filming was finished.


#11    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,209 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Spiegel said:


A mysterious mummy found in a German attic has kept experts busy for several weeks. Now they have finally determined it's a fake.



For weeks, experts have been trying to determine whether a mysterious mummy found by a German boy in his grandmother's attic is authentic. The answer appears to be: yes and no. It has a real human skull, but a plastic skeleton, the news agency DPA reported Wednesday.

The mummy was sent out for analysis not long after the 10-year-old boy found it in the Lower Saxony town of Diepholz in August. While some experts dismissed it as a fake immediately, one insisted that the remains could be some 2,000 years old.

Read more


A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#12    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Joined:13 Apr 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

Possibly 2000 years old, How long had that attic not been cleaned for?

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 25 September 2013 - 07:55 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users