Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Horror Movies, Do You Like Them?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostTaun, on 18 January 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

While there are many films listed in this thread that I enjoy... as a rule I do not care for horror movies as such... they just don't frighten me... at best they "startle me" ...

But I do feel that horror that appens just off camera - out of the audiences view - is much more terrifying/suspenceful than just putting it in your face...

Most horror films today rely upon jumpscares through booming music stings and quiet moments broken by very loud thunderous noises. If not that, it is gratuitous violence or gross-out gore.

That is why I mostly prefer the substance and craft of the classic horror movies as the characters and story can truly be engaging rather than a high bodycount of cyphers (characters) which the viewers have absolutely no emotional investment in. The latter can actually have the opposite effect if the violence is too comic over-the-top and the deaths too silly or ironic.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#32    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

One stand-out favorite scene for me is in the Hitchcock movie The Birds... when the lady is sitting on a bench with her back to the school playground and she's waiting for school to let out and she's been sitting there a while when a couple of birds flying near draw her attention and she follows their flight and turns to see them join what appears to be hundreds of other birds that have already gathered on the playground.
I think that's definitely the best scene in the movie, but the scene I always see in reference to the movie follows that one, and is when the children are running from the school and the "playground" birds are attacking them.
I've always thought that that single moment of awareness of the presence of all those birds...and the birds are calm... is much, much scarier than the later scene of the birds actually attacking.

#33    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

View Postregi, on 29 January 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

One stand-out favorite scene for me is in the Hitchcock movie The Birds... when the lady is sitting on a bench with her back to the school playground and she's waiting for school to let out and she's been sitting there a while when a couple of birds flying near draw her attention and she follows their flight and turns to see them join what appears to be hundreds of other birds that have already gathered on the playground.
I think that's definitely the best scene in the movie, but the scene I always see in reference to the movie follows that one, and is when the children are running from the school and the "playground" birds are attacking them.
I've always thought that that single moment of awareness of the presence of all those birds...and the birds are calm... is much, much scarier than the later scene of the birds actually attacking.

Hitchcock was not just a master of horror, he was a master of suspence... and that feeling of pending horror is much more horrible than the actual fact sometimes ...

#34    K_Bonita

K_Bonita

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

• For every dark night,there's a brighter day.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

LOVE HORROR MOVIES...they dont make em like they used too though.

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then. ”

#35    Muzzybluezzy

Muzzybluezzy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

john carpenter, charles band, dario argento,  mario bava and lamberto bava (maybe a few more directors I don't remember right now), usually I like to watch their films and my movie taste can be some different.

#36    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostK_Bonita, on 30 January 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

LOVE HORROR MOVIES...they dont make em like they used too though.

No, they sure dont. Cinema horror has been on a downward slide since the 90s. Paltry best describes them.

View PostMuzzybluezzy, on 02 February 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

john carpenter, charles band, dario argento,  mario bava and lamberto bava (maybe a few more directors I don't remember right now), usually I like to watch their films and my movie taste can be some different.

These men really knew their craft. John Carpenter doesnt make movies much these days because of his sentiments about the business has changed. And the fact he has made a string of really bad ones through the 90s and 00s.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#37    Muzzybluezzy

Muzzybluezzy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 02 February 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

These men really knew their craft. John Carpenter doesnt make movies much these days because of his sentiments about the business has changed. And the fact he has made a string of really bad ones through the 90s and 00s.

John Carpenter is the most famous name among them, unfortunately, after in the mouth of madness j.carpenter could not make a good movie. Recently I watched his last movie named The Ward. The Ward was not a good and creative movie, in fact today I miss 80s 90s and movies of those decades or years and usually I don't like movies of 2000s. I say the same thing for music (tho I find electronic music of today is successful but as a whole the music of 2000s is not good in comparison with before years). Thanks for your interest and liking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users