Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

24 to return

I for one am excited.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/05/13/24-fox-limited-series/2154941/

The network on Monday confirmed plans to restart the action thriller, which starred Kiefer Sutherland as counter-terrorist agent Jack Bauer and ended its eight-season run in 2010.

The new season, one of two "limited series" Fox plans for 2014, will be compressed into 12 weeks and premiere next May, says Fox entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly. "We'll go in chronological order with the hours of the day, but we'll skip some hours," he says.

Producer Howard Gordon, now working on Homeland and other series, "always had the idea of maybe someday doing a feature film" on the series, Reilly says. A script underwent several revisions but never got the greenlight by Fox's sibling movie studio.

So a Fox executive suggested a revival that would span fewer episodes. "I don't think I'd ever want to do 24 (episodes) again," Gordon says. "It was a crushing high-wire act; we look back with wonder and amazement but we have no desire to try to repeat that." Doing half as many episodes "helps you to avoid the contortions we were forced to make on the show, (and) we can use the time deletions to account for some of the distances the story had to improbably travel."

• Like 1

Doesn't the idea of skipping hours in the film go against the very fabric of what 24 was supposed to be about? But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, even with just 24 episodes representing 24 hours the storylines didn't always gel - the season where Jack Bauer was getting over a Cocaine addiction was of particular interest - he spent probably three episodes "coming down" off the drug and then never thought of it again. No drug addict is so compartmentalised as to get over an addiction in 3 hours. But it seems more acceptable if it's done over a period of three weeks, even when those three weeks are supposed to represent 3 hours.

Doesn't the idea of skipping hours in the film go against the very fabric of what 24 was supposed to be about? But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, even with just 24 episodes representing 24 hours the storylines didn't always gel - the season where Jack Bauer was getting over a Cocaine addiction was of particular interest - he spent probably three episodes "coming down" off the drug and then never thought of it again. No drug addict is so compartmentalised as to get over an addiction in 3 hours. But it seems more acceptable if it's done over a period of three weeks, even when those three weeks are supposed to represent 3 hours.

Skipping hours is a concern but I think they'll still be able to efficiently use the ticking clock as a tool of suspense.

That was heroin btw, season 3. He started shooting up so he would be accepted by the Salazars in Mexico. Other than that, it is kind of a buzzkill to actually get into what is possible and realistic in 24. The shear amount of events and traveling and espionage that would occur in one day was astonishing. One instance I remember was a few hours into a season and Jack was captured and tortured. Electrocuted, burned I believe and generally getting his ass kicked while hanging from rope by his wrists. If that we're me that'd been the end of my day.

Ah yes, I remember. Heroin, my bad. Still, no one gets over such an addiction so quickly. But don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed 24 while it was on. I think I missed the final season or so, but I caught most of the rest of the seasons. It'd be good to see a new episode :yes:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I liked 24,... Ill check the new stuff out.

• Like 1