Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Olympic ouster brings marijuana issue up

olympics doping marihuana

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostRut Roh, on 07 August 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

Rules are rules.  Doesn't matter if it is performance enhancing or not.  If the rules committee comes out and says mango's are on the list then you better make darn sure you are not training by or ingesting anything that could be a mango.  It is that simple.

Personally, I think caffeine is more of a performance enhancer than cannibis but dem be da rulez!  Anything that is considered illegal, as a drug, should be on the list.  Even if it is negotiable whether or not it should be illegal.  Equal footing for all in a competition setting.
In the case I mentioned above, it states that THC was NOT on the list of banned substances. has that changed??
This decision was eventually overturned, largely on the basis that marijuana was not on the list of banned substances, and Rebagliati was given back the medal.[1]
http://en.wikipedia....Ross_Rebagliati

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#17    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,586 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostRut Roh, on 07 August 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

Anything that is considered illegal, as a drug, should be on the list.  Even if it is negotiable whether or not it should be illegal.  Equal footing for all in a competition setting.

Pot is legal some places so where do we draw the line? If the drug illegal anywhere? Illegal within the host country? Many drugs available in Europe are banned in the US. Should those be automatic disquailifers also?

Edited by Bama13, 07 August 2012 - 06:28 PM.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#18    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

It's the pharmaceutical companies who don't want it made legal... They would loose millions on te chemicals they sell us. One of the worst being Bayer. (just google Bayers back catalogue of nasties it has set upon the world)

Edited by Coffey, 07 August 2012 - 06:48 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#19    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,256 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostBama13, on 07 August 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Pot is legal some places so where do we draw the line? If the drug illegal anywhere? Illegal within the host country? Many drugs available in Europe are banned in the US. Should those be automatic disquailifers also?

Here is the list, if the substance is on this list, no matter if contained in the morning tea or in a joint you are disqualified. And the only reason the IOC has to give to put anything on the list is that the committee had a toothache that morning.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#20    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,586 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 August 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Here is the list, if the substance is on this list, no matter if contained in the morning tea or in a joint you are disqualified. And the only reason the IOC has to give to put anything on the list is that the committee had a toothache that morning.

I was responding to the person that said any illegal drug should be on the banned list, but thanks for the info. I guess a career as an olympic curler is out for me. :cry:  Oh well.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#21    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• 1,931 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

The thing is...it is an herb...could be your morning tea...it is not an evil thing....

I stopped partaking ages ago because society said I had to....but it did not make me hate what I knew was a good and natural thing.

If you hate it...you don't understand it and probably never will...it is not evil...the bending of what it does for humanity is evil.

Go on...hate...it seems to suit you...hate always prospers...erm....more hate...oh wowo...that is what I always invite into my life....you offer it...you get it in return...now accept the pain that comes with hate.....

It should be legal....it is less damaging than alcohol....it is waaaay less problematic...but let the stupes that have never participated have a voice...they think they know something...which they do....it's called ignorance.....

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#22    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,580 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Pot is legal some places so where do we draw the line?

where?

RESIDENT TROLL.

#23    Rut Roh

Rut Roh

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

Valid point.

I believe the IOC is the governing body, as I believe it was already stated, so they are responsible for creating a fair and just list.  We can argue the validity of the list but if they, the IOC, say it is banned, then it is banned.  Responsibility then falls to the individual athlete to follow the rules, as written, and take any repercussions for actions that cross that magical line.  The list shouldn't be negotiable from one athlete to the next.

#24    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,586 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Postaztek, on 07 August 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

where?

The Netherlands

#25    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,256 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostBama13, on 09 August 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

The Netherlands

As usual, wrong. In the Netherlands Marihuana is not really legal but laws not enforced as long as it remains in civil amounts as enforcement is seen to be contra productive. And that is not only the Netherlands it is also Spain and Portugal (there also hard drugs) as long as you are not selling the stuff.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#26    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,580 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

not legal but decriminalised, and tolarated.

it is legal, as i found out , in Cambodia, Iran, and Pakistan, with some conditions.

http://en.wikipedia....abis_by_country

RESIDENT TROLL.

#27    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,256 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

View Postaztek, on 09 August 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

not legal but decriminalised, and tolarated.

it is legal, as i found out , in Cambodia, Iran, and Pakistan, with some conditions.

http://en.wikipedia....abis_by_country

That still is not legal.

about me

#28    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,580 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 09 August 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

That still is not legal.

yes, i guess you right.
illegal technically, but legal DE facto.

Edited by aztek, 09 August 2012 - 04:05 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#29    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,256 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

View Postaztek, on 09 August 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

it is read up

Still not legal.

In fact there is not a single country where it is legal, the last was the Comoros but when the US menaced with taken away the foreign aid it was made illegal (though no penalties are specified for either trading or consuming as in Nepal).

Edited by questionmark, 09 August 2012 - 04:06 PM.

about me

#30    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,580 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Posted Image Iran

See 'Notes'

Regulated: Legal, Unregulated: Illegal

Regulated: Legal, Unregulated: Illegal

Legal

Growing cannabis is legal if planted for food purposes as the seeds are eaten by the Iranian people, and companies often draw oil from the seeds which is sold legally. A person is allowed to carry up to 15g of cannabis legally; for every gram above they will be charged 10000 Rials.

RESIDENT TROLL.

Also tagged with olympics, doping, marihuana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users