Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sat navs can 'blind' drivers to the road

Still Waters

Driving with a sat nav can make you blind to pedestrians because trying to hold an image of the screen in your mind makes you ignore what is in front of your eyes, according to a new study.

Focusing on the detail of something we have just seen diverts our attention away from things happening around us and results in an effect known as "inattentional blindness".

While our eyes continue to see things in their path, the visual messages seem not to reach the brain when we are concentrating on something else because its ability to process information is limited, researchers said.

http://www.telegraph...o-the-road.html

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissMelsWell

• Still Waters

• spud the mackem

• Mnemonix

I wouldn't have one given to me for free,as I hate being told how, or where to drive.

There was a case here not too long ago of a driver wtih a SatNav clearly not paying attention to the road... the nav told them to turn right, and so they did, and drove right down a boat launch into the lake! *facepalm* They were ok, so it's actually kind of funny. But just because the Nav says so, doesn't mean you can stop paying attention!