Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    TheLogic

TheLogic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Do any of you think it is possible to harness the power of gravity and in the near future create something like Star Trek where we could all walk around like normal?

That is one invention I would be interested in.

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,530 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

I assume you mean "all walk around like normal" on a space craft? I think creating artificial gravity would be easier than developing warp drive. We've got a ways to go before we're tooling around the galaxy like Star Trek.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#3    TheLogic

TheLogic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Well I left out in a spacecraft because I would love to see something a bit like Total Recall.
Where they walk around in big structures filled with artificial gravity on mars.
It would also be a good escape if this planet became obsolete.

#4    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

I think it will be possible.. now that they are sure they have found the higgs .. it will be a step towards that and other things happening in relation to gravity and anti grav..

#5    TheLogic

TheLogic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

I wonder if somewhere they have already created some sort of artificial gravity but are keeping it secret for the time being.

#6    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostDingoLingo, on 15 March 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I think it will be possible.. now that they are sure they have found the higgs .. it will be a step towards that and other things happening in relation to gravity and anti grav..
Since the Higgs confers mass on matter, and gravity needs mass to work, controlling the Higgs' effects, somehow, would, it seems, amount to the same thing as controlling gravity. Nullify the mass, and so the gravity acting on a spacecraft in the direction facing the Earth, and intensify it in the direction of the destination, and it would fall toward its goal, whoosh!  Apply a localized Higgs field to the decks of the spaceship and they would confer mass on the passengers, allowing them to walk about and move normally. I wonder if that's how ETs do it...

#7    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

I would assume the development and control of something which can control gravity and probably also solve the problem of inertia would be a very valuable military advantage. Hence we will not be hearing much about the progress made with it anytime in the near future.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Finding the Higgs is nice.  Figuring out how to use it in ways I read about above will probably take a few centuries.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users