Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd fears?

yowiee

My most irrational fear is being stared at. Or more like, if something suddenly looks at me with wide eyes and doesn't look away. *Shudders* I'm always afraid to look at my reflection at night because I don't want it looking back at me! Same goes for pictures, or even people on TV. If it's a stupid cartoon or something and the character looks at the camera, I actually tear up a little. If a friend does it to me on purpose, I'm nervous for a long, long time afterwards.

Another fear of mine is something running at me. Be it a dog, another person of a freaky-ass demon I can't stand the thought of anything running at me. I couldn't even play tag as a kid because of it.

What are your fears, or at least the oddest or most irriational ones? What do you think of mine? :o

I'm not sure you could class it as a fear, but I have an absolute, shuddering revulsion to the idea of becoming sticky - as in, cotton candy on my face or syrup on my arms.... I have the same reaction as when a person scrapes fingernails on a chalkboard...grrrrrr

• Like 2

I'm not sure you could class it as a fear, but I have an absolute, shuddering revulsion to the idea of becoming sticky - as in, cotton candy on my face or syrup on my arms.... I have the same reaction as when a person scrapes fingernails on a chalkboard...grrrrrr

Agh I know what you're describing it's awful uh. I feel that way when my nails scratch metal (like in the sink) or when metal scratches together, or someone bites their fork.

Agh I know what you're describing it's awful uh. I feel that way when my nails scratch metal (like in the sink) or when metal scratches together, or someone bites their fork.

For me it's metal scraping a metal pan. In the past, my husband has decided to finish off the remainder of a leftover by using his fork and eating from the pan! :w00t: He didn't take me seriously when I asked him not to do it! I told him if he did it again I was going to get a paper towel and chew on it - yup, you guessed it! He no longer eats from a pan!

• Like 2

Blood! Especially blood associated with your wrists, or major arteries and veins.

My most irrational fear is being stared at. Or more like, if something suddenly looks at me with wide eyes and doesn't look away. *Shudders* I'm always afraid to look at my reflection at night because I don't want it looking back at me! Same goes for pictures, or even people on TV. If it's a stupid cartoon or something and the character looks at the camera, I actually tear up a little. If a friend does it to me on purpose, I'm nervous for a long, long time afterwards.

Another fear of mine is something running at me. Be it a dog, another person of a freaky-ass demon I can't stand the thought of anything running at me. I couldn't even play tag as a kid because of it.

What are your fears, or at least the oddest or most irriational ones? What do you think of mine? :o

Your body has a fight or flight mechanism built into it to save your butt when you're in danger. When you come across someone who makes your angry, afraid or panic they trigger the mechanism. Repeated exposure in a short period of time creates a thought loop which is hard to break out of. Your body also has mechanisms to aid your learning by shifting behaviour into your subconscious. For example when you learn to ride a bike (thought loop) you no longer have to think about what you're doing as your mind does it automatically for you.

So the problem becomes a thought loop which triggers your fight or flight mechanism which has been taken over by your subconscious. Or in English a social anxiety which is what you're suffering from. You may or may not remember the instance where it began but whenever you're in a similar situation your brain automatically starts its fight or flight mechanism to get you out of there.

They are easily fixed. All you need to do is imagine the situation which triggers it but force yourself to have happy pleasant thoughts instead of anger, fear or panic. Repeat it constantly and deliberately make yourself obsess over feeling happy. As a result you'll train your brain with a new thought loop to replace the old one and find you'll feel happy instead of anxious when someone is staring at you.

For me it's metal scraping a metal pan. In the past, my husband has decided to finish off the remainder of a leftover by using his fork and eating from the pan! :w00t: He didn't take me seriously when I asked him not to do it! I told him if he did it again I was going to get a paper towel and chew on it - yup, you guessed it! He no longer eats from a pan!

I don't understand what chewing a paper towel had to do with it >_>

Okay, so I saw this episode of the X-Files called "Signs and Wonders" -- Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signs_and_Wonders_%28The_X-Files%29

Anyway, there is one part where this lady is in a bathroom, and all these snakes (poisonious ones like Copperheads and rattlesnakes) all start coming out of the drain and toilet.... :huh:

REALLY freaked me out! So yes, I now have a HUGE phobia of a snake or snakes, crawling into my bathroom through the toilet! Thank you X-Files!

• Like 1

My biggest fear is that one day the world will be run by idiots,...wait that's happened already, never-mind.

• Like 3

my local comic-book store closing down because everyone's downloading the e-versions from amazon, the b**tards!!

• Like 3

They are easily fixed. All you need to do is imagine the situation which triggers it but force yourself to have happy pleasant thoughts instead of anger, fear or panic. Repeat it constantly and deliberately make yourself obsess over feeling happy. As a result you'll train your brain with a new thought loop to replace the old one and find you'll feel happy instead of anxious when someone is staring at you.

Hopefully, that wouldn't make it work backwards and cause you to be afraid of happy feelings.

I fear that I may wind up in Purgatory for not getting the devil out of my life.

My sister and I share a feeling of discomfort in long, empty hallways - we're always nervous about the possibility of something freaky appearing at the other end. And I think my most ridiculous fear personally would have to be fear of that Jeff the Killer image - I can't look at it without getting a severe anxiety spike, which is why I avoid it at all costs. It's also the reason why I still sleep with the light on sometimes.

CENTIPEDES! NUFF SAID

• Like 1

I fear that I may wind up in Purgatory for not getting the devil out of my life.

Thats a tough one, Hes also in my life