Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

London Underground Subterraneans

Loonboy

This may be a story that has been covered previously, but here goes anyway...

There are legends that beneath the city streets of London, in the far and quiet reaches of the London Underground's vast labyrinthine network of tunnels, a race of sub-humans lived. Stories tell of a few people opting to live down there in the dank & dark spaces (much like Gollum) from the late nineteenth century, growing in number until a little nation existed. Other stories tell of them starting to grow longer hair on their bodies (presumably for warmth) and stooping over (presumably from the small spaces they inhabit and poor nutrition). Some tales say that they died out in the twentieth century due to some kind of disease or infection that spread amongst them.

A film was made in the seventies that touched upon this story - starring Donald Pleasance - called "Raw Meat" or "Death Line". Sounds like it has a ring of "Mimic" to it, but with humans rather than bugs.

Possible? Or just a myth?

:geek:

I think it is probably based on myths around people trying to escape the Plague in the 1600's by going underground?

I'm not sure how someone is going to live in a subway system and not get noticed. It is rather cramped, if you've ever ridden the Underground.

Yeah you can get the old towns underground anywhere.

Edinbrugh, chichester, bath and bristol.

I think it is probably based on myths around people trying to escape the Plague in the 1600's by going underground?

I think the tunnels were not around in the 1600s.

Re the 'idiocy' comment, yes there may be aspects that are a bit fantastic, but just the premise of people living underground is in itself not entirely impossible.

Troglodytes come to mind.

People living underground is not stupid.

People living in The Underground is stupid.

Good point.

I do like the mice that live in The Underground.

Wasn't the medieval drainage system replaced in the 1850's with the extensive system still in use today? I think they are fairly regularly checked as it constantly upgraded to deal with population growth. I am pretty sure one of the original ideas rejected in the 1800's of putting a tunnel or pipeline underneath the Thames is being seriously considered. What a massive project that would be huh.

I think all the problems they have had with the system over the many centuries has kept it fairly well documented. The entire system floods often so I can't see it being likely. At least the odd body would wash out or get caught at the Abbey Mills plant?

Edited by psyche101

I think the tunnels were not around in the 1600s.

Re the 'idiocy' comment, yes there may be aspects that are a bit fantastic, but just the premise of people living underground is in itself not entirely impossible.

Troglodytes come to mind.

I didn't say the tunnels were around in the 1600's, I mentioned stories or myths about people living underground to escape the plague? I don't think theye even had drainage in the 1600's, everything was descarded into the streets or the Thames.

I'm not sure how someone is going to live in a subway system and not get noticed. It is rather cramped, if you've ever ridden the Underground.

I don't think the OP is talking about the underground subway system (although there are approximately around 30/40 abandoned stations) that are no longer used? There are rumours the Royal family even have there own underground subway system?

I think the OP is talking about subteranian tunnels/Becks/drainange/sewage tunnels that many large European cities have.

There are legends that beneath the city streets of London, in the far and quiet reaches of the London Underground's vast labyrinthine network of tunnels, a race of sub-humans lived. Stories tell of a few people opting to live down there in the dank & dark spaces (much like Gollum) from the late nineteenth century, growing in number until a little nation existed. Other stories tell of them starting to grow longer hair on their bodies (presumably for warmth) and stooping over (presumably from the small spaces they inhabit and poor nutrition). Some tales say that they died out in the twentieth century due to some kind of disease or infection that spread amongst them.

A film was made in the seventies that touched upon this story - starring Donald Pleasance - called "Raw Meat" or "Death Line". Sounds like it has a ring of "Mimic" to it, but with humans rather than bugs.

There have always been stories about what's under London; tales about the secret tunnels, disused bases and forgotten catacombs.

There's also the idea that London has been around so long that what it's built on is actually London, that there is a bewildering maze of old cellars and foundations built over, lost and locked away to all but someone who might come up from below...

This is a good link: http://www.fictionalcities.co.uk/tunnels.htm

There probably is a lot of stuff under there, there's probably a few homeless people living in abandoned tunnels maybe even the occasional person staying a bit more permanently. Subterranean races and stooped and hairy sewer dwellars however do sound a bit too imaginative to be real.

Edited by Saard
  • Like 1

The town in which i live has subbteranean tunnels dating back to the middle ages. Only a couple of years ago one of the roads had to be closed near the main bus station due to the volume of traffic causing the road to sink into an underground chamber.

I've lived in London my entire life, know quite a lot about its history and I've never heard this before.

There's also the idea that London has been around so long that what it's built on is actually London, that there is a bewildering maze of old cellars and foundations built over, lost and locked away to all but someone who might come up from below..

Nope, never heard this either.

We have a pretty good idea how London was built up, from a settlement, through Roman occupation, and occupation by Germanic tribes.

I work for an architectural planning office in London, and am surrounded by old maps, history books and plans. And I've never, not once, ever, heard of underground tunnels.

A race of hairy, sub-human creatures living underneath London? Probably not, but it is an interesting story and I can see how it was imagined. There are probably a lot of things under London, and it would be fun to go poking through some of the tunnels, but I doubt you'd find a race of hunch-backed dirty humans.

Nope, never heard this either.

We have a pretty good idea how London was built up, from a settlement, through Roman occupation, and occupation by Germanic tribes.

I work for an architectural planning office in London, and am surrounded by old maps, history books and plans. And I've never, not once, ever, heard of underground tunnels.

It seems odd you've never heard the stories as a Londoner. Perhaps Londoners, knowing better, dismiss them instead of passing them on.

Now, If you want a city with underground tunnels with lots of interesting things going on in them, try Paris. Apparently, the French capital is riddled with 185 miles worth of dark and spookey catacombs, tunnels and old limestone quarries.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6116318/

I've heard there are ancient French people down there who have evolved so they can smell a tourist from three miles away, have learnt the strange, terrible truth about truffles and make human Foie Gras from the livers of intruders (which they recommend you accompany with a nice, light-oaked Chardonnay).

i belive you mean the 'mole' people

check this out.......

Wasn't the medieval drainage system replaced in the 1850's with the extensive system still in use today? I think they are fairly regularly checked as it constantly upgraded to deal with population growth. I am pretty sure one of the original ideas rejected in the 1800's of putting a tunnel or pipeline underneath the Thames is being seriously considered. What a massive project that would be huh.

I think all the problems they have had with the system over the many centuries has kept it fairly well documented. The entire system floods often so I can't see it being likely. At least the odd body would wash out or get caught at the Abbey Mills plant?

Um... there already is a tunnel under the Thames...

As far as the original post goes, it reminds me a bit too much of Neverwhere and countless other fictions to have much truth to it. Though London, like any city at least in this country, has a network of tunnels and catacombs underneath it, they're not unknown or isolated enough to support a race without detection.

Sounds a lot like "The Borribles". Great book if you can get your hands on it.

Yep. I flashed on "The Borribles" too. Michael de Larrabeiti wrote some entertainingly bent books. His "The Bunce" is also recommended.

I've lived in London my entire life, know quite a lot about its history and I've never heard this before.

I think I have an answer rgiht there.

Um... there already is a tunnel under the Thames...

As far as the original post goes, it reminds me a bit too much of Neverwhere and countless other fictions to have much truth to it. Though London, like any city at least in this country, has a network of tunnels and catacombs underneath it, they're not unknown or isolated enough to support a race without detection.

Sorry, I should have been more succinct.

Lengthwise.

My guess it could be a bunch of homeless people. They can live anywhere these days.

Edited by Chrisy