Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A new look at an old crypto photo

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    TigressFlameroseX39

TigressFlameroseX39

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• People who say anything's possible haven't tried to slam a revolving door.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

I've also been having a difficult time with this photo and its mysteries. One thing that bothers me is the front legs and shoulders--something seems off. In particular, the angle of the front right leg as opposed to the left and the positioning of the chest and shoulders. It seems too stiff, especially compared to the hindquarters, which seems more sloped and catlike. Ooohh, if only it weren't in black-and-white, we wouldn't be having so much difficulty! :cry: I would like to believe that the photo is legitimate, and I don't know how people in that time period could alter a photo, and researchers have proven there are still plenty of undiscovered species on this planet, and the possibility of prehistoric species surviving to the present has also been affirmed, and what of the chances of inter-breeding between older species and newer ones? Arrg too many questions, sorry for ranting, folks! :blush:

#17    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

Never heard of or seen this before. The body sort of looks like that from a horse, with something done to its tail. And painted.

Any photo experts here? How hard is it to double impose a photo with the old film? I mean something like you take a photo of some bushland, then take a photo on the same negative of a possibly painted horse, with a plain-ish sort of background and a little bit of bush in front of it. And the horse turned it's head during the photo and got lost in  the process somehow.

For some reason the animal and the bush below the animal in the photo looks a little different than the background at the top of the photo. Could mean nothing just something I noticed. I'm no photo expert.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#18    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,371 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostDKO, on 16 September 2012 - 04:47 AM, said:

The body sort of looks like that from a horse, with something done to its tail. And painted.

I agree. Except I can't quite figure if it was painted in stripes (you'd be surprised the lengths people go to for a lark) or if it is a shadow effect from the foliage; whether the tail has somehow been tampered with (if painted with stripes why not do something to the tail?) or if it is a photographic motion-effect:

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://home.yowieoca...ola_Tiger_1968/

I second the call for the opinion of those with any photographic (or even any equine) knowledge...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#19    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,243 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

I think the tail still causes issues with the identification relating to a horse.

I guess if it was a show horse, maybe the tail was bound up??

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#20    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

Yeah the tail might have been bound/braided. The stripes are confusing, if this guy was going out to make a hoax then he could have easily painted them on. To me it doesn't really look like light coming in through the bushes. But like I said earlier i'm no expert.

Posted Image

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#21    SpiritTraveler

SpiritTraveler

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

• "Everything is relative" - Elbert Einstein

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

View PostNight Walker, on 16 September 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

I agree. Except I can't quite figure if it was painted in stripes (you'd be surprised the lengths people go to for a lark) or if it is a shadow effect from the foliage; whether the tail has somehow been tampered with (if painted with stripes why not do something to the tail?) or if it is a photographic motion-effect:

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://home.yowieoca...ola_Tiger_1968/

I second the call for the opinion of those with any photographic (or even any equine) knowledge...

I'm not a photographer but I am an artist and I think that superimposed horse's head is way smaller than the one in the original photo. I think the one in the photo, even though some of it is hidden, is a large robust head like a tiger. You left out the large chin and jaw under your horse's head. And the foliage does not correspond with the stripes/shadows on the creature.  That is what my eyes see anyway.

Edit: I think you made a good depiction with the horse. The right front leg of the creature looks a lot like a horse's, along with the neck and withers.

Edited by SpiritTraveler, 17 September 2012 - 04:47 AM.

Posted Image

#22    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,272 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hasn't this animal already been discovered

#23    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,272 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

Posted Image

#24    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 14,702 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 17 September 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

Posted Image
Well, if there's one of those on the loose in Australia, even in the 60s, it's worthy of comment and investigation.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users