Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Russian warships gathering off Syria waters

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,362 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

From the article:

Russian warships are being deployed off the Syrian coast in the Mediterranean Sea to deter any military intervention by the Western states in the Arab country, a report says.

Citing a Russian diplomat, The Sunday Times said that Russia has sent five landing ships, carrying military vehicles and hundreds of marines, as well as combat vessels in the eastern Mediterranean recently.

“Russia should be prepared for any developments, as it believes the situation in Syria might reach its peak before Easter,” the Times quoted the diplomatic source as saying on condition of anonymity.

The diplomat added that the presence of the Russian marines near the Syrian waters will deter “the West from deploying ground forces” in Syria to help militants fighting the government forces.

http://www.presstv.i...-to-deter-west/

#2    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Russia is also evacuating its citizens and others. So what.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,862 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

It's fear mongering by Iranian TV.  If the chemical weapons become a prize for the FSA then a division of Russians won't matter to Israel or the West.  Airstrikes and special forces will eliminate the problem to a large degree.  I think the Russians are there to evacuate their citizens - who they KNOW will be slaughtered in revenge if Assad falls.  Russia wants to maintain a warm water port on the Med but they won't risk a world war for it.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#4    Reactive Overhand Maneuver

Reactive Overhand Maneuver

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• "The more things change, the more they stay the same".. Snake Plissken

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Good for Russia I say! That'll pi** David Cameron right off.... the twot.
He only backs a sure bet... with his mates.. standing behind the teacher, Calling names!
He said lately "we'll go to war if Argentina invades the Falklands"..... & who's that David... you & yours, or the servicemen who you don't give a hoot about...
Sorry, back on topic.. yes.... Good for you, Russia!

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostSomethings Not Right, on 07 January 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

Good for Russia I say! That'll pi** David Cameron right off.... the twot.
He only backs a sure bet... with his mates.. standing behind the teacher, Calling names!
He said lately "we'll go to war if Argentina invades the Falklands"..... & who's that David... you & yours, or the servicemen who you don't give a hoot about...
Sorry, back on topic.. yes.... Good for you, Russia!
Russia is partially responsible for every death that has occurred in Syria since right after the war began.  If they had not supported Assad then he would have already fallen I think.  Russia is an ally of Syria and I understand why they have stayed in the game but that in no way makes them less culpable.

#6    Yamato

Yamato

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,407 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

OMG!  Russia is deploying military forces in the Middle East?   That's our job!

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#7    Yamato

Yamato

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,407 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

View Postand then, on 08 January 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

Russia is partially responsible for every death that has occurred in Syria since right after the war began.  If they had not supported Assad then he would have already fallen I think.  Russia is an ally of Syria and I understand why they have stayed in the game but that in no way makes them less culpable.
So when we tell you that the US is partially responsible for every death that has occurred in Palestine since right after that war began, eat your own cooking.   And what should we do about this mutual culpability?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#8    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

• let thy insanity keep the sane but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

well we could nuke em all and let the universe sort it out later...... or we could  sit back and drink a coke ( or a cup of tea) and don't worry about it..... i know what i am going to do
i have a two liter in front of me and several more on the shelf

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 08 January 2013 - 05:16 AM.

#9    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,293 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

Am glad we have nations like Russia and China maintaining balance in world affairs..

Edited to add: Do we really want one nation with all the power to force other nations to live their way and do what they say?

Edited by Professor T, 08 January 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostYamato, on 08 January 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

So when we tell you that the US is partially responsible for every death that has occurred in Palestine since right after that war began, eat your own cooking.   And what should we do about this mutual culpability?
Because the situation in Syria so closely resembles that in Palestine, right?  Cry for the perpetrator all you care to but leave me out of your pity party.

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

Am glad we have nations like Russia and China maintaining balance in world affairs..

Edited to add: Do we really want one nation with all the power to force other nations to live their way and do what they say?
If their systems appeal to you that much then why not immigrate?  I'm sure they'd love to have someone who supports their ideals.

#11    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,600 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Well on Russia Today they said the ships were to evacuate non military civilians and aid. Not warships but Cargo ships. Press TV have blamed Israel for everything

#12    Yamato

Yamato

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,407 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

View Postand then, on 08 January 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Because the situation in Syria so closely resembles that in Palestine, right?  Cry for the perpetrator all you care to but leave me out of your pity party.
In that the US is partially responsible for every death that has occurred in Palestine since right after that war began the same way Russia is in Syria, yes, it's exactly the same.   And what should we do about this mutual culpability?   Syria is suffering at the hands of a UN veto, created out of the moral hazard of our own veto.  While we may be so sure of ourselves and our political views in the world, some other power will not be.  And we get the situation in Syria that we have today.   This wasn't hard to predict.   It was more difficult not to.  And it will happen again and again until we understand that with so many veto powers and so many cross currents there will usually be an enabler in the UN of the massacres and political oppression we get from the Sharons and Assads of the world.

#13    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,654 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Nothing more than just a show of force in the 'disputed area' to keep the Proles ginned up.  Looks like it's working.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#14    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Too bad we don't have a place to sit down and discuss this, like a place where nations can come together and be... united... Instead, you'll have some trying to force unilateral agreements, while others will just block anything because they don't like the other guy.

Edited by Hasina, 08 January 2013 - 01:45 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#15    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,600 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

View Postjoc, on 08 January 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

Nothing more than just a show of force in the 'disputed area' to keep the Proles ginned up.  Looks like it's working.
I thought you said Poles as in Polish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users