Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Is The Christian View On The Dinosaur?

Cadetak

First point: Aslan's behavior and actions are utterly disparate from Jesus'; where anyone could find similarities I can't even begin to imagine (apart perhaps for the seeming "resurrection" bit). Either way, that's irrelevant.

You seem to espouse the position that: because everyone makes mistakes, I should judge specific people for mistakes. That's perhaps a reasonable suggestion. But when there is a very large, influential group of people, which routinely makes extreme mistakes, is it not equally-reasonable to take note of their mistakes? So that one's-self, as well as others, can benefit from the knowledge of said mistakes?

I don't "know how much Bible is good for them" or "know them better than they know themselves" (an excellent point of blatant ad hominem attack though; I couldn't have done better myself). All I have noted is that they claim to wish to follow the Bible, and their actual, demonstrated knowledge and understanding of it is far beneath what one might reasonably expect from someone making such a claim.

And of course, predictably, you resort to the "the-Christians-you're-talking-about-aren't-the-kind-of-Christian-that-I-think-are-really-Christians" dodge. I do find it telling that you seem to consistently make the assumption that I've ever referred to your particular belief system or church; I prefer to comment on standard Christian ideology, not on you, or your church. And again, the only time I really refer to any particular people is when I was making note of specific behaviors I have commonly observed in Christians, which run contrary to their own proposals, or those of standard Christian ideology.

Also, it is intriguing that you bring up "sacrifice". Is it really a sacrifice, for Jesus/Aslan to be killed, if there was full-knowledge on the part of the subject, that they would resurrect (and, in Jesus' case, ascend to heaven for all eternity)? I propose that a true sacrifice cannot exist under these conditions. Yes, sacrifice can be considered virtuous; you seem to have convinced yourself that this is an objectively-true statement. Was it virtuous of all of the Nazi soldiers who died in WWII to "sacrifice" their lives in war, for, what they perceived to be, the greater good of the Reich? As I have stated before, objective morality is extremely rare, if it exists at all; for every virtue, there is a circumstance in which it can be found to be decidedly un-virtuous.

Just telling me that it's "disparate" without bothering to explain how is baseless at best. And it's nonsense at worst, because if you knew about the CS Lewis you love to sloppily badger the "Christians" with, you might know that Aslan is meant to be Jesus Christ.

Yes, you're quite the poop mill for the mistakes of one group to the exclusion of other groups. You accuse me of ad hominem when you've been engaging in one ridiculous statement about the "Christians" after another.

Why is my church not "standard"? There might be tens of thousands of denominations of Christianity and who are you to determine what "standard" is. Is it the mean? The median? I go to multiple churches of multiple denominations and none of them exhibit the p*** you're taking about "the Christians" so yes, it makes you look extraordinarily ignorant. I don't know who these Christians are you're talking about. I think you have too many broad brushes dipped in too much brown paint you made yourself.

I'm pretty sure that the people and creatures who knew Jesus and Aslan before their deaths thought their deaths were a great sacrifice. It's a matter of perspective and once again, a perspective you don't have, so you go on another mud throwing tirade in response. Is it not virtuous for soldiers to sacrifice themselves in war? Or does it depend? That's a good enough topic for a whole new discussion. Why don't you post it if you want to unwind it together?

Thought about this from a different thread...We've discussed a Christian's view on the dinosaur, how about the Christian view on the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs? Including the fact that it was 65 million years ago.

A Christian's view is that if that's the case, then the age of the mammal had begun.

Thought about this from a different thread...We've discussed a Christian's view on the dinosaur, how about the Christian view on the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs? Including the fact that it was 65 million years ago.

Interesting spin on it all..I would be curious to read some fine answers to that...I wonder how many will admit it was over 65 million years ago and how many will believe in the many theories given

by science ? You note just one theory...but I would like to see what the believers would suggest ...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Just telling me that it's "disparate" without bothering to explain how is baseless at best. And it's nonsense at worst, because if you knew about the CS Lewis you love to sloppily badger the "Christians" with, you might know that Aslan is meant to be Jesus Christ.

Yes, you're quite the poop mill for the mistakes of one group to the exclusion of other groups. You accuse me of ad hominem when you've been engaging in one ridiculous statement about the "Christians" after another.

Why is my church not "standard"? There might be tens of thousands of denominations of Christianity and who are you to determine what "standard" is. Is it the mean? The median? I go to multiple churches of multiple denominations and none of them exhibit the p*** you're taking about "the Christians" so yes, it makes you look extraordinarily ignorant. I don't know who these Christians are you're talking about. I think you have too many broad brushes dipped in too much brown paint you made yourself.

I'm pretty sure that the people and creatures who knew Jesus and Aslan before their deaths thought their deaths were a great sacrifice. It's a matter of perspective and once again, a perspective you don't have, so you go on another mud throwing tirade in response. Is it not virtuous for soldiers to sacrifice themselves in war? Or does it depend? That's a good enough topic for a whole new discussion. Why don't you post it if you want to unwind it together?

Again, it isn't really a sacrifice unless it's permanent. Christians believe that Jesus died to redeem our sins and save us from hell; well, a real sacrifice towards that end (putting aside the fact that the mitzvot clearly preclude such a thing) would be very simple: have Jesus sent to hell for all eternity, like is supposed to happen to us. Going to hell, allegedly, for about a day and a half, like he did, is not a sacrifice in this instance, if indeed he is meant to have been resurrected and ascend to heaven forever.

And the way one determines what the "standard" views of Christianity is to look at all of the denominations, and find which ideologic points are shared been all or the majority of them. I don't exclude other groups from being capable of making mistakes (I said so specifically in my previous post, in case you didn't notice); but that does not mean that, when faced with Christians, I will ignore the problem, simply because there are others in the world.

Of course you don't know the "Christians" I'm talking about; nobody apart from non-Christians really do, because from my experience, Christians don't want to admit that they do these things. Everyone can see what Christians do; it's not exclusive either (as you said, Muslims are often oblivious to their own problems as well).

Of course I know that the idea of Aslan is supposedly based on Jesus, which is a reasonable assessment; what I asked is, apart from the resurrection element, what else do they have in common? And how does either sculpt or influence you/Christians? The teachings of Jesus were fine, but there are better, and some of his are outright wrong (he had a particularly poor grasp on seeds; he thought the mustard seed was the smallest of seeds, and that a seed has to die to germinate?).

And, again (I've already explained this; you don't seem to have noticed), the virtue of soldiers sacrificing themselves in war is a wholly subjective, relative concept. What's virtuous to one culture might be horrific in another. The Nazi soldiers who gave their lives to defend the Reich were virtuous in the framework of their own civilization; to most others though, they were some of history's most heinous criminals. It's all a matter of perspective; and one which I'd rather not elaborate upon any further, lest I digress.

And yes, I will point out when you use an ad hominem; I'm not against pointing that sort of thing out if it crops up. Part of why I am now convinced that you, as with many of the other Christians here (you just happen to be playing right into my view of Christianity; your actions are fully expected by what I have observed), do not actually read my posts: you continue to say that my views are "baseless" or that I'm "broad-brushing", despite the fact that I have fully explained both of these points before.

I give reasons for my statements each time; and the only cause for me to "broad-brush" Christians would be to simply note that their behavior seems to be rather evenly-distributed among them. I base my statements on my own observations of Christians, and my own study into the Bible; it helps too that I was a Christian myself for more than forty years. My views are far from "baseless"; quite the contrary, they are based on experience and collective observation. In order to reverse or disprove my statements, you would simply have to demonstrate that my views are mistaken, and that Christians do not behave in the ways I claim; unfortunately for that end, you seem to be doing a wonderful job of acting perfectly in accord with what I would have predicted.

A Christian's view is that if that's the case, then the age of the mammal had begun.

Again, a sub-standard Christian view. If solely for the reason that the Bible's creation myth is in absolute contradiction to the history of the world as we now know it; Genesis holds that all land animals were created in the sixth day by God. Science is in direct opposition to such a view: unless you're saying that by "create" it meant evolved, and by "day" it meant 300 million years, and by "God" it meant natural processes. If it said that, maybe Christianity would be compatible with science.

Interesting spin on it all..I would be curious to read some fine answers to that...I wonder how many will admit it was over 65 million years ago and how many will believe in the many theories given

by science ? You note just one theory...but I would like to see what the believers would suggest ...

I've heard some really crazy **** about this. I've heard Christians claim that it was Lucifer falling from heaven instead of a meteor impact... Or then, a more "mainstream" Christian view seems to be that the dinosaurs were killed off by the Noachian flood (that incidentally hasn't a scrap of evidence). I'll be interested to see what they have to say on this one. I'll bet 10/1 that they'll deny that Christians say what I've just said they do; a denial which simply betrays the average Christian's inability to accept the truth about their own religion.

• Like 1

a denial which simply betrays the average Christian's inability to accept the truth about their own religion.

and what is this truth. does it come in a jar? do you have some "truth" on your shelf?

your truth would not change the "truth" about christianity. belief in old testament creation stories does not make someone an idiot as so many people on this forum believe. for christians it is the new testament as i am sure you already know. to dwell on trolling your average christians is just plain lame.

I've heard some really crazy **** about this. I've heard Christians claim that it was Lucifer falling from heaven instead of a meteor impact... Or then, a more "mainstream" Christian view seems to be that the dinosaurs were killed off by the Noachian flood (that incidentally hasn't a scrap of evidence). I'll be interested to see what they have to say on this one. I'll bet 10/1 that they'll deny that Christians say what I've just said they do; a denial which simply betrays the average Christian's inability to accept the truth about their own religion.

I'm not sure what you can consider to be a 'mainstream' christian. There are so many different beliefs within it that's it hard to keep track on who believes what. It's certainly true to say that fundamentalist christian belief is that the Bible is inerrant. This is a position that is clearly untenable in light of the convergence of scientific understanding.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what you can consider to be a 'mainstream' christian. There are so many different beliefs within it that's it hard to keep track on who believes what. It's certainly true to say that fundamentalist christian belief is that the Bible is inerrant. This is a position that is clearly untenable in light of the convergence of scientific understanding.

Mainstream would probably constitute a majority; or roughly so. Just to clarify.

yes i dont know many christians who subscribe to any majority idea. as a catholic, i dont feel that i have to subscribe to any creation theory as it is not important anyway and dont care if any majority group believes about some asteroid or dinosaurs being millions of years old, its pretty clear, earth has been here for billions of years. some christians shoul adopt this idea, but hey who cares? why would anyone get caught up in someone elses beliefs anyway? unless it is knock him down a notch or to prosetylize some point of view.

Just a gentle reminder....

'Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs' board guidelines Please always respect the beliefs of other members - the bashing of specific religions, countries, races or belief systems is strictly disallowed. Several of the topics in this section cover some sensitive areas and it is important to respect the views of others; this means no flaming, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks. We must also ask that members do not use the forums to promote or 'preach' their personal spiritual beliefs to others.

Just a gentle reminder....

'Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs' board guidelines Please always respect the beliefs of other members - the bashing of specific religions, countries, races or belief systems is strictly disallowed. Several of the topics in this section cover some sensitive areas and it is important to respect the views of others; this means no flaming, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks. We must also ask that members do not use the forums to promote or 'preach' their personal spiritual beliefs to others.

Well-noted. Thank you.

Again, it isn't really a sacrifice unless it's permanent. Christians believe that Jesus died to redeem our sins and save us from hell; well, a real sacrifice towards that end (putting aside the fact that the mitzvot clearly preclude such a thing) would be very simple: have Jesus sent to hell for all eternity, like is supposed to happen to us. Going to hell, allegedly, for about a day and a half, like he did, is not a sacrifice in this instance, if indeed he is meant to have been resurrected and ascend to heaven forever.

And the way one determines what the "standard" views of Christianity is to look at all of the denominations, and find which ideologic points are shared been all or the majority of them. I don't exclude other groups from being capable of making mistakes (I said so specifically in my previous post, in case you didn't notice); but that does not mean that, when faced with Christians, I will ignore the problem, simply because there are others in the world.

Of course you don't know the "Christians" I'm talking about; nobody apart from non-Christians really do, because from my experience, Christians don't want to admit that they do these things. Everyone can see what Christians do; it's not exclusive either (as you said, Muslims are often oblivious to their own problems as well).

Of course I know that the idea of Aslan is supposedly based on Jesus, which is a reasonable assessment; what I asked is, apart from the resurrection element, what else do they have in common? And how does either sculpt or influence you/Christians? The teachings of Jesus were fine, but there are better, and some of his are outright wrong (he had a particularly poor grasp on seeds; he thought the mustard seed was the smallest of seeds, and that a seed has to die to germinate?).

And, again (I've already explained this; you don't seem to have noticed), the virtue of soldiers sacrificing themselves in war is a wholly subjective, relative concept. What's virtuous to one culture might be horrific in another. The Nazi soldiers who gave their lives to defend the Reich were virtuous in the framework of their own civilization; to most others though, they were some of history's most heinous criminals. It's all a matter of perspective; and one which I'd rather not elaborate upon any further, lest I digress.

And yes, I will point out when you use an ad hominem; I'm not against pointing that sort of thing out if it crops up. Part of why I am now convinced that you, as with many of the other Christians here (you just happen to be playing right into my view of Christianity; your actions are fully expected by what I have observed), do not actually read my posts: you continue to say that my views are "baseless" or that I'm "broad-brushing", despite the fact that I have fully explained both of these points before.

I give reasons for my statements each time; and the only cause for me to "broad-brush" Christians would be to simply note that their behavior seems to be rather evenly-distributed among them. I base my statements on my own observations of Christians, and my own study into the Bible; it helps too that I was a Christian myself for more than forty years. My views are far from "baseless"; quite the contrary, they are based on experience and collective observation. In order to reverse or disprove my statements, you would simply have to demonstrate that my views are mistaken, and that Christians do not behave in the ways I claim; unfortunately for that end, you seem to be doing a wonderful job of acting perfectly in accord with what I would have predicted.

Yes, let's not talk about Nazis here because that was completely out of orbit.

The essence of sacrifice is interesting yet you manufactured my language for me and claimed I referred to sacrifice as a virtue.

The other little points you've been making aren't representative of "the Christian ideology" so you're bringing it up but you're not even talking about it. And as I've said, you admit other groups make mistakes but focus on Christians anyway. But the mud you're throwing is not important to Christian faith or Christian acts so if you find that Christians are ignoring you that's understandable.

You haven't begun to explain how Aslan is so disparate from Jesus. Until such time, your claim is technically baseless. I've already answered your question "apart from the resurrection element". Is Aslan more than just resurrected in the stories? There is the suppositional Christ! You might want to read what you like to talk about too, former Christian.

You made an unsubstantiated claim about Aslan and that's the only context in which I've used the word "baseless" here with you, so don't blow my meaning into so much more that isn't even there. You feign so much injury over nothing or next to nothing when it comes to Christianity and I'm glad you think I'm representative of the Christian "behavior" you detest. It's a sign that something meaningful and productive might come out of this.

Edited by Yamato

Again, a sub-standard Christian view. If solely for the reason that the Bible's creation myth is in absolute contradiction to the history of the world as we now know it; Genesis holds that all land animals were created in the sixth day by God. Science is in direct opposition to such a view: unless you're saying that by "create" it meant evolved, and by "day" it meant 300 million years, and by "God" it meant natural processes. If it said that, maybe Christianity would be compatible with science.

A sub standard Christian view? LOL No, that's not even "a Christian view". That was the theoretical scientific view.

What's a day to eternity? According to my Calculus, it approaches zero. A day is much too liberal, though perhaps more believable to an ancient mind. That's my "Christian view"; sorry if my mathematics offended you.

Yes, let's not talk about Nazis here because that was completely out of orbit.

The essence of sacrifice is interesting yet you manufactured my language for me and claimed I referred to sacrifice as a virtue.

The other little points you've been making aren't representative of "the Christian ideology" so you're bringing it up but you're not even talking about it. And as I've said, you admit other groups make mistakes but focus on Christians anyway. But the mud you're throwing is not important to Christian faith or Christian acts so if you find that Christians are ignoring you that's understandable.

You haven't begun to explain how Aslan is so disparate from Jesus. Until such time, your claim is technically baseless. I've already answered your question "apart from the resurrection element". Is Aslan more than just resurrected in the stories? There is the suppositional Christ! You might want to read what you like to talk about too, former Christian.

You made an unsubstantiated claim about Aslan and that's the only context in which I've used the word "baseless" here with you, so don't blow my meaning into so much more that isn't even there. You feign so much injury over nothing or next to nothing when it comes to Christianity and I'm glad you think I'm representative of the Christian "behavior" you detest. It's a sign that something meaningful and productive might come out of this.

Um... you're the one who brought up being "sculpted" by Aslan. I just asked you how, exactly. I didn't make a claim about Aslan, other than to question yours.

And, yes, I have been writing about Christian theology, and the objectively determinable effects it has; and again, your denial of it is perfectly predictable. That your particular sect might not agree with everything I've noted is irrelevant. I refer to majority.

A sub standard Christian view? LOL No, that's not even "a Christian view". That was the theoretical scientific view.

What's a day to eternity? According to my Calculus, it approaches zero. A day is much too liberal, though perhaps more believable to an ancient mind. That's my "Christian view"; sorry if my mathematics offended you.

Please speak more clearly.

Um... you're the one who brought up being "sculpted" by Aslan. I just asked you how, exactly. I didn't make a claim about Aslan, other than to question yours.

And, yes, I have been writing about Christian theology, and the objectively determinable effects it has; and again, your denial of it is perfectly predictable. That your particular sect might not agree with everything I've noted is irrelevant. I refer to majority.

You claimed Aslan was disparate. I still have no idea how. And I explained to you how Aslan sculpted me. It's an influential story that impresses values upon children and adults and why shouldn't it? If that's suddenly not relevant to your "majority" then you shouldn't have brought it up as another booger point. Perhaps a giant lion from another world is my Christian dinosaur.

Anything over infinity equals zero.

Um... there isn't anything over infinity. Infinity isn't a number; by definition it never comes to an end, and therefore nothing is beyond it. This is pretty simple stuff.

You claimed Aslan was disparate. I still have no idea how. And I explained to you how Aslan sculpted me. It's an influential story that impresses values upon children and adults and why shouldn't it? If that's suddenly not relevant to your "majority" then you shouldn't have brought it up as another booger point. Perhaps a giant lion from another world is my Christian dinosaur.

Again, please speak more clearly. These sentences, in this order, are rather disjointed.

I would like to ask, by the way, what values, precisely, the Chronicles of Narnia impress upon people?

Um... there isn't anything over infinity. Infinity isn't a number; by definition it never comes to an end, and therefore nothing is beyond it. This is pretty simple stuff.

Infinity is a common number in mathematics and a powerful concept in religion. I can put six (days) or 4.5 billion (years) over infinity and come out zero either way. That's far more relevant to my belief than all your problems based on something's "exact text".

Infinity is a common number in mathematics and a powerful concept in religion. I can put six (days) or 4.5 billion (years) over infinity and come out zero either way. That's far more relevant to my belief than all your problems based on something's "exact text".

Infinity isn't a number. It is a mathematical concept, but it is not technically an integer.

Again, please speak more clearly. These sentences, in this order, are rather disjointed.

I would like to ask, by the way, what values, precisely, the Chronicles of Narnia impress upon people?

This is the same question repackaged in new rhetoric. I've already answered it. How can you possibly not understand my answer? I will add love and forgiveness to what else you're pretending deaf to.

Infinity isn't a number. It is a mathematical concept, but it is not technically an integer.

LOL Many numbers aren't technically integers. In mathematics infinity is a conceptual number that's unattainable but often approached. You're really groping if you have the need to argue with me about how I can't use infinity like a number in mathematics. Why don't you take some Calculus while you read up on your Narnia? You're starting to reveal a pattern of over-talk about subjects you know little or nothing about.

LOL Many numbers aren't technically integers. In mathematics infinity is a conceptual number that's unattainable but often approached. You're really groping if you have the need to argue with me about how I can't use infinity like a number in mathematics. Why don't you take some Calculus while you read up on your Narnia? You're starting to reveal a pattern of over-talk about subjects you know little or nothing about.

Odd. I don't claim to be an expert on mathematics, but I do know enough to say that infinity cannot be reached, or exceeded, given it is not technically an integer, as I've said. As for Narnia, what would you like to know? I've read the entire series a number of times.