Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sumatran Mystery Ape

Deimos

I have been looking into reports of an ape fron Sumatra that I find very interesting. I don't know how to say it's native name (something like Orangu-Bneni?) Anyway, it's an ape that walks on it's knuckles like a gorilla. It's supposed to be reddish brown with a black mane. It has a lond tail and sharp claws. Another interesting feature of this ape is the lower canines which stick out of it's mouth. The ape is reported to stand around 4 feet tall. It sounds like an Orang Pendek, but the Orang Pendek doesn't have a tail and it walks on it's hind legs. Anyway, I have drawn a sketch of the ape based on descriptions. Deos anyone know more about this ape? huh.gif

Edited by Monster Hunter X

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deimos

• Talon

• doomgirl

• grc

Top Posters In This Topic

It has a lond tail and sharp claws

Can't be an ape then. Apes don't have tails, and don't have claws.

If it does exist its a monkey... although the claws would have to be nails to be such.

It has a lond tail and sharp claws

Can't be an ape then. Apes don't have tails, and don't have claws.

If it does exist its a monkey... although the claws would have to be nails to be such.

262405[/snapback]

Right, forgot about the whole tail thing with apes. I'm guessing that it's something like a baboon, and that it uses its sharp nails for digging. Does anyone know more about the creature?

I saw a documentary on the creature but it was zero. No pics, no drawings, just if this, if that, what if and then some more ifs and ....bleah. At least I know now aprox. how it looks. Thanks for the sketch.

I also forgot to mention that the creature is said to be extremely curious. People report that it sometimes steals crops for itself, and that it sometimes comes around the villages at night.

Edited by Monster Hunter X

it looks like a baboon to me

262620[/snapback]

yes but the face is very different. It's hairless, and much less tapered than baboon's. It's also said to be built very heavily. remember this is just a sketch I drew, it probably varies from the real one a lot. original.gif

just read somewhere that the Sumatran Mystery Ape is also known as the Orang Pendak, can anyone confirm this?

Late in October, a team of British amateur explorers found evidence of the Orang-Pendek, a creature first mentioned by Marco Polo after he visited Sumatra in 1292. Early analysis showed that samples of hair and footprints taken on the team's trip to the Indonesian jungle do not appear to come from any known primate in the region. Clumps of hair are undergoing DNA analysis in Oxford, to clarify the genetic affinities of the orang-pendek, which is reputed to look like an upright, five-foot tall ape.

Edited by mr_halo

just read somewhere that the Sumatran Mystery Ape is also known as the Orang Pendak, can anyone confirm this?

Well if it is then its an ape from other descriptions, and is considered as one of the most likelt crypids to exist.

Is it just me, or does that kind of look like that roadkill thing from awhile back? By the way, what ever happened with that?

DOesn't look that different from a normal ape, ha reminds me of dragonball Z for sum reason

DOesn't look that different from a normal ape,

It has a tail tongue.gif

ha reminds me of dragonball Z for sum reason

Bubbles... Oozaru... laugh.gif

Bubbles... Oozaru... laugh.gif

263201[/snapback]

it does kind of look like an oozaru. except it's reddish brown, not brown or gold (Baby Vegeta Oozaru)

i ever heard a story about this kind of Sumatran Orang Pendek...but there's no proof..here in Malaysia we called them Sang Kelembai...

tongue.gif

You know, I've heard reports that there are three different species of Yeti. One is a medium sized species, around 6 ft tall. Another is a very tall species, said to be aggressive and hostile. The large aggressive one is said to be 9 ft or so tall. The third type is said to be a monkey like species. could the same species diversity be happening on Sumatra? I know of the Orang Pendek, but i saw a documentary on this animal. I'm not sure how the name is spelled, but it is something like Orang-Bneni (or neeni?). anyway, the investigators said that this animal is reported from around the Bukit Barisan mountains. This animal is always described as having a tail, and walking on all fours. The Orang Pendek walks upright, but both of these animals are reddish orange in color, and they both have black manes. The Orang-Bneni is rarely heard of, but I thought it would be important to bring it up so that it gets some recognition. If anyone knows more, please tell me.

Yeah, i read a readers Digest book which talked about different species of yeti too. One species ate yak and attacked humans, the other pulled people from avalanches and saved them etc