Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

1 dead, 600,000 without power

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

It is relative. I have lived in Florida virtually my entire life and even then didn't much worry about hurricanes until 2004. We got hit by three and we're without power for 16 days. I realize there are far worse things but living here without AC and not having the benefit of generators it can get a bit miserable. Especially when your power company talks about hardening the system and they never do and yet when a typical summer thunderstorm blows through your power goes out. That and the plumbing quits working..... Fun fun.

At least with cold you can pile on more clothing. When it's 85 at night and the humidity is 80 plus nothing helps..... Bleck.

Edited by Esoteric Toad, 10 February 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#17    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostSakari, on 09 February 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

New York, every year. :)

I have never personally been there, just see stories on the news about the " heat " and about the " cold" and about 120 MPH hurricanes....

I do laugh a bit, as a winter storm ( yearly ) here has winds of over 125 MPH at Cape Blanco alone, we got more then 120 inch's of rain in 2012. In Nevada, I shoveled snow every year from my drive way, I had to chain up my Pepsi truck every winter. In the Summer, it would get well over 100 Degrees.

It just seems things on the East coast that are considered " bad, or hard " are just routine yearly things on the west.

I blame the local athority then, they should spend more on equipment etc to handle it.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

If something happens routinely, then you are ready for it.  If it happens often, you are somewhat prepared.  If it happens only once a century, good luck.

#19    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,553 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostCoffey, on 10 February 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

I blame the local athority then, they should spend more on equipment etc to handle it.

That is true. I have a friend in New York, one year I mentioned we had " chains required " ( normal winter thing in the west ). He told me it is illegal to use chains or snow tires with metal, ruins the streets....I could not understand this myself.

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 February 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

If something happens routinely, then you are ready for it.  If it happens often, you are somewhat prepared.  If it happens only once a century, good luck.

But New York and New Jersey have snow every year?

Downstate New York
Average annual snowfall Days Place Inches Centimetres 10.5 Bridgehampton, Long Island   26.8   68.1 11.5 Brookhaven, Long Island   31.9   81.0 11.9 New York City, Brooklyn   22.7   57.7 11.1 New York City, Central Park   25.1   63.8 13.7 New York JFK Airport   23.8   60.5 13.1 New York La Guardia Airport   26.9   68.3 10.7 White Plains   27.7   70.4

Edited by Sakari, 10 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#20    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,041 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

A lot of urban places in the midwest and out east if I'm not mistaken use salt more than sand on streets. I think that might also play into some chain restrictions too.
I dunno what they use more out by you Sakari. Maybe they use more salt by you too and my notion is totally moot.

#21    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,553 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

View Postrashore, on 10 February 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

A lot of urban places in the midwest and out east if I'm not mistaken use salt more than sand on streets. I think that might also play into some chain restrictions too.
I dunno what they use more out by you Sakari. Maybe they use more salt by you too and my notion is totally moot.

Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and California, ......sand.

That makes sense then. Salt will melt it faster. Sand, just traction, still need chains / snow tires.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#22    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,041 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, salt eats up the streets and metal a lot faster than sand does.

#23    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hope the UMers and all the other people over there are ok, but doubt they will see this  if they have no electricity, unless they charged up first.
Quite a weird state of affairs with our weather in certain places around the globe. I am not sure how prepared we can be if none of this is forecast in time.
We are getting snow here again, due for more flooding too, I am prepared because we have generators and are well coaled and wooded up for the fire, but many households do not know what to do when the "convenient" lifestyle gets disrupted by nature.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#24    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,415 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

View Postsusieice, on 09 February 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Wondering how Lilly is doing. I know she's up by Boston.

I just got my power back after more than 2 days without even heat. There's about 22 inches of new snow and many, many trees are down. It was like a blizzard/hurricane hybrid....totally horrible and frightening (kept waiting for a tree to fall on my house!). Lots  of people still don't have their power...and the temperature is down in the teens (F) at night. Freezing in the dark really stinks.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#25    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and California, ......sand.

I dont think we get the frequency or intensity of snowstorms in the lower elevations either which is why sand is the standard. Its more of a holiday, Then back to normal after a day or two in the lower elevations.

#26    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,087 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostLilly, on 11 February 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

I just got my power back after more than 2 days without even heat. There's about 22 inches of new snow and many, many trees are down. It was like a blizzard/hurricane hybrid....totally horrible and frightening (kept waiting for a tree to fall on my house!). Lots  of people still don't have their power...and the temperature is down in the teens (F) at night. Freezing in the dark really stinks.
It's good to hear from you and I'm glad you got your power back on. That's really cold to be without heat and I can't imagine being in the dark in a storm like that. Hope everyone else gets their's back quickly. The news said it would take some time to recover from this storm. TC.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#27    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,024 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

Best wishes and please stay warm and safe.

View Postfreetoroam, on 10 February 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

We are getting snow here again, due for more flooding too, I am prepared because we have generators and are well coaled and wooded up for the fire, but many households do not know what to do when the "convenient" lifestyle gets disrupted by nature.

Out of curiosity, didn't you say you live on a boat?

#28    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostMichelle, on 11 February 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, didn't you say you live on a boat?

Yes, " we have generators and are well coaled and wooded up for the fire,"..........
Its a proper boat, not a dinghy.
We do have electric hook up, but also a generator for if the shoreline electric goes off, like it did a couple of weeks ago.
Love my multifuel burner, warms up the whole boat and is so cosy.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#29    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,490 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostLilly, on 11 February 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

nice to hear you are ok, we were getting a little worried. Hope you can keep warm and have lots of candles. :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users