Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Europe to Australia in 90 Minutes

hypersonic spaceliner dlr

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,922 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hypersonic 'SpaceLiner' Aims to Fly Passengers in 2050

www.space.com said:

A hypersonic "SpaceLiner" would whisk up to 50 passengers from Europe to Australia in 90 minutes. The futuristic vehicle would do so by riding a rocket into Earth's upper atmosphere, reaching 24 times the speed of sound before gliding in for a landing.

Many challenges still remain, including finding the right shape for the vehicle, said Martin Sippel, project coordinator for SpaceLiner at the German Aerospace Center. But he suggested the project could make enough progress to begin attracting private funding in another 10 years and aim for full operations by 2050.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,824 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

I wonder if the new Skylon concept might offer engine technology that can improve upon the solid fuel boosters.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,201 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

that would be brilliant. i'd poo myself going on the thing tho.....

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    Shayde

Shayde

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Sounds very interesting. Mark you, it may take only 90 minutes to get from start to finish, but it hasn't factored in the delay in boarding due to queues, technical faults, and then there's weather issues, like fog, or you lose your bags, or they lose you.... :whistle:

#5    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 338 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

So a mass human missile? oh **** just what we need. Just when Iran starts space programs.

But im kidding im kidding. ;)

Still don't like the idea of basically following a missile point trajectory to get to another country... too easy for *ahummm* "pilot errors" to occur over nations that are struggling to get into the big bull pen.

You would also need a new defence sector and laws for the stratasphere as no country owns it and would be technically lawless whilst above normal flight capacities. So the actually chances of this being a "public" utilised transport are slim to ****all. Unless you see the U.N take on more power when it comes to be "joined leaders of the world" and maybe take control of the skies :S but everything at that point just seems dismal and factory line situationed.

Always nice to see someone trying to increase our technology capabilities though.

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

#6    dannyboy52

dannyboy52

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

• You Can Fool Some People All Of The Time,And All Of The People Some Of The Time, But You Cant Fool All Of The People All Of The Time

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Probably be 100,000 dollars/pounds round trip??? Not for the masses when it happens

#7    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,578 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 03 February 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

that would be brilliant. i'd poo myself going on the thing tho.....
Mate I`ll buy us both a ticket when the day comes to Ride like this ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#8    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

• WRATH

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

By then I shall be...56. Cool, I may get to see this in action. I read similar articles of a flying hotel/aircraft that consists of multiple floors, has football fields and tennis courts in it and is see through on the floors.

Philip K. Dick where art thou?

"Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged it alike: It is worthless."

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,922 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

SpaceLiner - to Australia in 90 minutes at hypersonic speed

The revolutionary SpaceLiner concept offers a unique vision for a high-speed passenger transportation system of the future by seamlessly spanning the boundaries between aviation and spaceflight. Currently under design at the German Aerospace Center, Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR), the ultra-fast hypersonic spaceplane is designed to transport 50 passengers from Australia to Europe in an unprecedented 90 minutes.

More information: http://www.dlr.de/bl...n/DesktopDef...

UPDATE: Martin Sippel is working for the "Institute of Space Systems": http://www.dlr.de/ir...desktopdefau...

Source: DLR - YouTube Channel

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

Also tagged with hypersonic, spaceliner, dlr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users