Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Suicide among the middle-aged rises sharply

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'd imagine there are a myriad of reasons why the suicide rate is spiking among 50 year olds right now, of course the economy, also just the shift in the number of people heading toward retirement in a culture that "seems" to only appreciate young people and their interests. This was predicted by a lot of sociologists based on the number of Baby Boomers and the following generation reaching the age of 50 plus in a large wave. There are people now that I know who are actually shifting their employment from certain professions into caregiving related jobs because it's a growing industry.  I think this generation that is in their 50's are dealing with a lot, including one thing which hasn't been addressed, early onset Alzheimers. Early onset diagnosis are on the rise because of better diagnostic tests. I'd imagine between health issues, financial issues, plus a lot of older folks with out extended families, isolation and depression can be for some unbearable. I think it's sad, just because you reach the age of 50 doesn't mean you're no longer relevant but with the unemployment as high as it is now those that are older sometimes think that they aren't desirable employees.It is sort of ironic because they usually have a larger skill set and some businesses want older people.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#17    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,952 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostHilander, on 02 May 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

The biggest jump has been in people in their 50's.  People have used guns but the biggest increase has been in suffocation or hanging themselves.  They also said this big jump has taken place in the last decade.  Economy related maybe.

I am sure it is. I am 47, married, and we have no retirement or savings. ( long story, but not rare at all ) We live pretty much check to check, with the ability to maybe go out one weekend a month. If our health were not good, I do not know how we would do it, even with insurance. And, the cars health seems ok, same there.

I am thinking more and more about how we have no retirement. It is scary......Would be a lot worse if I lose my job. Finding decent jobs at this age is near impossible.

Edited by Sakari, 04 May 2013 - 07:40 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#18    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,297 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Life is what you make of it.  Unfortunately, some folks aren't able to deal with it.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#19    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,201 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I think it is more than just life is what you make of it.  Sometimes you keep getting one bad hand after another dealt to you until you just have to fold.

I know what you mean Sakari, same here.

I'm thinking if some of these people were behind on bills and had creditor's after them it could of pushed them over the edge.

#20    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,952 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostHilander, on 05 May 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

I know what you mean Sakari, same here.

Hope it gets better for you...... :tu:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#21    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

(how's this saying go again..?)
"..the wisdom of the realm is more often heard on drunkards lips than in the kings court" (?) (...whatever) :)

i think we're all more or less on the right track here..
..how's it going in your country?

saw all this coming years ago, when they first started going on about the GFC (late '07) - started seeing all these new-fangled superannuation commercials on the TV, radio, etc... what i was seeing was retiree-aged couples happily travelling in newly acquired camper-vans, and what-have-you, one day i even saw one of these smiling happy ladies quip something about 'spending their childrens inheritance"

..and they're always smiling happy couples sipping morning coffee in bathrobes (have you noticed?)

..and now they're all flogging LIFE INSURANCE.. full coverage from cradle to grave.. and constantly pushing rising costs of living.. and "..wouldn't it be terrible if my family were left to struggle if something was to happen to me?" (pause for effect) and don't worry folks SUICIDE IS COVERED AFTER 13 MONTHS OF COVERAGE

your whole life is now managed like this.

..who are we now living FOR?

people 50+ *KNOW* this.. and no amount of FOX propaganda or reality management is going to make them think and feel otherwise.

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#22    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

Just more proof that the Baby Boomer Generation is the most selfish and self-centered group of individuals ever to have lived...

Edited by tapirmusic, 06 May 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#23    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,952 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

View Posttapirmusic, on 06 May 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

Just more proof that the Baby Boomer Generation is the most selfish and self-centered group of individuals ever to have lived...

I would have to say that is far from the truth.

I myself, have watched greed go up, selfishness go up, respect for others go down, and people care only about themselves before anyone or anything else.

I watched it from growing up in the 70's and 80's, raising kids from the 90's to now, and working from the 80's to now. I watched all of it rise like rocket.

Selfish and self centered has been on a very steep and fast rise, and is not slowing down.

You can look at history and see you are wrong. I could write a book here with examples....

Edited by Sakari, 06 May 2013 - 06:16 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Bad economic times are known to be associated with increases in suicides.

#25    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,035 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Everyone needs to save for retirement.    Even if it's just a few $$ out of every check.   You can adjust to $20 less per check (maybe not easily).  
Sell something on craigs list and put the money in the savings.   Gotta do something.

#26    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Bad economy
Their kids having to move back home due to bad economy at the same time their parents need specialized care and near their death.

Youth culture - the rammed-down-the-throat more that says old people are ugly, worthless, used up etc. No respect for elders anymore. Maybe even a bit of feeling like they're past-it when it comes to understanding technology and all. I see this with my 52 year old bro-in-law.

Plus all the usual stuff.

Embrace the impossible.

#27    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

I think depression, a medical condition, causes suicides, and depression when it is there can be generated by all sorts of crises, including financial ones.  The thing is, people know if they have depressive personalities or not because they have thought about suicide in the past, and such people really should be on medication on a full-time basis, just as people with high blood pressure are.  It is a lethal disease not to be taken lightly with cliches like, "buck it up."

#28    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• 1,317 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 06 May 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

What proof are you referring to?  Is it selfish to want to know that you are more than one paycheck away from being homeless and hungry?

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#29    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,049 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostHilander, on 05 May 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

I'm thinking if some of these people were behind on bills and had creditor's after them it could of pushed them over the edge.
Not to mention that some of these creditors can be extremely brutal when talking to someone who happens to be financially struggling.

My father in law passed away over a year ago from cancer and my wife and I still receive phone calls from his creditors (there are a ton of them too, he racked up his bills pretty good). Even after months of telling them that he is deceased, sending them certified copies of the death certificates etc., they are still extremely rude on the phone.

If they can make me feel like I'm a horrible person for debts that aren't even mine, then I can't imagine how destitute some of the other people they call feel.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#30    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,035 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 06 May 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

I think depression, a medical condition, causes suicides, and depression when it is there can be generated by all sorts of crises, including financial ones.  The thing is, people know if they have depressive personalities or not because they have thought about suicide in the past, and such people really should be on medication on a full-time basis, just as people with high blood pressure are.  It is a lethal disease not to be taken lightly with cliches like, "buck it up."
Not sure on this. I think many times learning to "buck it up" is a better way than a lifetime of head medications.    I have no faith in the doctors who prescribe these drugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users