Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Other Roswell?

The Other Roswell?

Hi all!

I had heard of the 'Mexican Roswell' case of 1955 which is the claim of Decorated World War II and Korean War veteran Col. Robert B. Willingham, some years ago, and always thought that it was a reasonably believable account by a respectable witness. And after listening to the old boy telling the story in his own words today...I feel a lot more confident that this case is more than likely genuine!

Here is a brief summary of the alleged event for those not yet familiar....

http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0508/theotherroswell.html

.................................................. .................................................. ............................................

"Told by the Mexicans that they needed to leave, Willingham and Perkins reluctantly got back in their small plane, but not before Willingham picked up a chunk of metallic debris about the size of a man’s hand and stuck it in a pocket of his flight suit.

Upon later examination back in Fort Worth, Willingham found that the metallic debris had properties unlike any metal known to earth science.

Attempts to burn it, cut it with a torch, and deform it in any manner were totally unsuccessful"

Sound familiar to Roswell students..?

Bear in mind that Willingham’s story of a UFO crash near Del Rio, Texas, was known to UFO investigators before the Roswell, New Mexico UFO crash story broke widely in 1980, and as such is known as “the other Roswell.”...So 'copycatting' is unlikely!

.................................................. .................................................. ............................................

Willingham possessed the unearthly metal for several days before he was ordered to surrender it to a Marine metallurgic laboratory in Maryland, from where it mysteriously “disappeared” days later in an obvious military intelligence cover-up.

Subsequently, Willingham received threatening phone calls from intelligence operatives warning him to never disclose any of what he had seen “down on the border.”

Standard Military Intelligence handling of evidence..?

Could I just please reiterate that Colonel Willingham is a highly credible witness who served in World War II and Korea, and was at one time a personal assistant to General George S. Patton....So in my humble opinion ,... is likely to be the type of witness that suffers from the 'Walter Mitty Syndrome'!

And here is a radio interview from the Jeff Rense show which features the 82 years old Colonel recounting the event....

and part 2....

As always in these cases, it is up to you the individual as to which side of the credibility-fence you will take!...and in my case, I strongly suspect that the old boy's being genuine!...How about you..?

Cheers.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DONTEATUS

• Lilly

• booNyzarC

• spud the mackem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, if this elderly gentleman is indeed recalling something that actually happened (verses just imagination) then this is really something amazing. I wonder if he still has a piece of the disk in his possession?

Well, if this elderly gentleman is indeed recalling something that actually happened (verses just imagination) then this is really something amazing. I wonder if he still has a piece of the disk in his possession?

Yes, I agree Lilly! And I am still trying to find out if Mr Willingham managed to retain any small piece of the disk...though in his testimony he did only say that he " picked up a chunk of strange metal debris that was about the size of a man’s hand."..and that .." he was ordered to surrender it to a Marine metallurgic laboratory in Maryland, from where it mysteriously “disappeared”"..so sadly perhaps, as usual the 'solid evidence' will prove to be lacking! <_<

Cheers.

Just listened to the interview... sounds like he's lying to me.

Cheers.

How can you tell? I mean, he could be lying, or be delusional, or he could be telling the truth.

Personally, I'd tend to go with delusional as being the most likely option. My Mom had Alzheimer's disease and it progressed to where she couldn't distinguish reality from imagination.

How can you tell? I mean, he could be lying, or be delusional, or he could be telling the truth.

Personally, I'd tend to go with delusional as being the most likely option. My Mom had Alzheimer's disease and it progressed to where she couldn't distinguish reality from imagination.

It was just the impression I got by listening to him. He sounded like an elderly man who is looking for attention the best way that he can think of and enjoying the limelight while he still can.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

It still could happen ,we now have better drugs,and cams !

Just listened to the interview... sounds like he's lying to me.

Cheers.

Hi Boony!

You may well be right old buddy!...But I have to say that it is all a matter of perception, and I perceive honesty in the Colonel's statements!...But as always...I could be wrong!

Cheers buddy.

Lets see: One vote for telling the truth, one vote for fibbing, and one vote for active imagination.

Like I said, it would be really great if the gentleman had a chunk of the UFO in his possession.

Lets see: One vote for telling the truth, one vote for fibbing, and one vote for active imagination.

Like I said, it would be really great if the gentleman had a chunk of the UFO in his possession.

One of the issues I have and always have had, is why do UFO's allegedly crash? I mean, they have enough tech to cross the universe, if indeed they do, have stunning craft capable of all sorts of maneuvers, speeds and abilities, yet they just cant seem to avoid crashing on earth! Nah it just doesn't sit well with me. WE on earth have top pilots with top aircraft who complete their missions and return to base, and with only a very small percentage of those missions lost to dog fights, ground to air missiles, and very very rarely, mechanical failure.

WE have a good record in aviation and thats only with jets and 100 years of flight under the belt.

So alien tech then must be infinitely more capable of 'missions' with their highly advanced craft, which should perhaps, have all sorts of inbuilt safety mechanisms and autopilot type guidance functions and stuff we cant even imagine...

yet they crash.

And no trace is ever found or heard of ever again.

Nah, sounds like a shaggy dog story...

Haven't you heard Bouncer? Flying saucers can be brought down by... RADAR...

:rolleyes:

All joking aside, I hear you, and I agree. Crashing alien craft are pretty far fetched. Surprising to me how many people accept it without a second thought.

All joking aside, I hear you, and I agree. Crashing alien craft are pretty far fetched. Surprising to me how many people accept it without a second thought.

hehehe :tu: :tu:

Roswell is just a name tagged onto any story that speaks of an alleged UFO crash. In addition to the Roswell that actually happened at Roswell, and this "Mexican" Roswell, There is Brazil's Roswell, Canadas Roswell, The Russian Roswell, Australia's Roswell, there is quite a series of them. I guess the original hoo ha was quite an inspiration.

I was just struck by the realization that a great deal of UFOs supposedly crash. Makes me wonder how these ETs managed to make it across the vastness of space to begin with?...seeing as they're accident prone and all.

First I must apologize for not having any links. I got so into the research I was doing on the various sites I never wrote the addresses down. Right now I'm just too lazy to go get them.

Let us look at some important points of the story

1. Joined the army in December 1945 and left in January 1947 as an E4.
  2. Transferred to USAF in 1950 for Korean War
  3. Flew P-51 Mustangs in Korea until wounded in Dec. 1950
  4. He joined USAF Reserves in 1952.
  5. Flew Cold War training missions in the mid 1950s
  6. Later served as a Project Blue Book investigator
  7. Rose to the rank of Colonel in the Reserve
  8. Plaque shows him in Civil Air Patrol from 1948-1973.
  9. Reached the rank of colonel in the reserves.
  10. A fast object approached the group from the North West and was supposedly tracked first by the Distant Early Warning radar.
  11. It was a nocturnal sighting .
  12. He supposedly found and circled the crash site and could see all the details.
  13. Returned to the group and told them he had to get out of there and go home.
  14. Flew back to Fort Worth, Drove to Corsacana CAP Field, flew in a light plane back to area south of Langtry. Approximately a 5 1/2 hour time period.
  15. Told his story to a reporter and was interviewed (2 different interviews) in the 1960's. Article in NICAP file found in 1977 and Willingham signed an affidavit. In none of the three (interviews and affidavit) did Willingham specify a year.

His time in the air force including Korea and the reserves are suspect due mainly to the facts that they don't transfer you to another branch 3 years after you leave the military and the CAP plaque indicates he was in the Civil Air Patrol during that time.

That he was in the CAP and not the USAF is supported by two parts of the story. First that after supposedly landing his F-86, he did not get a light plane at the base but drove an hour and a half to a Civil Air Patrol field to get one and Second, If he were in the USAF his leaving the mission and doing what he did would have resulted in a charge of dereliction of duty and jail time, not just a reprimand.

It is interesting to note that you can reach the rank of Colonel in the CAP.

With the DEW line located in the northernmost part of Canada and pointing north to detect any Russian launches, an object moving at 2000 mph from the direction of Russia would have had all the bells and whistles going off in both Canada and the U.S. and interceptors would have been scrambled all along it's path. There is no indication of this happening so it was not detected by the DEW line.

Coming from the NW of western Texas would have been in the general direction of Russia across the Pacific so interceptors along the west coast would have been scrambled in it's flight path but no indication of such scrambles have come to light.

The crash of an unknown object that has flown over American soil during the cold war would have had a team from the U.S. there soon after the sighting yet only a Mexican team was supposedly found upon Willinghams' return.

It was a night flight and he supposedly followed the vapor trail in the dark. Also at night he supposedly saw enough detail to conclude he could safely land a light plane in the area in the dark. Further he landed and was not detained by the Mexican military for questioning why he , in a CAP light plane, was in that area of Mexico at that time.

My assessment of it and one not necessarily shared by anyone else is that the inconsistencies and falsehoods point to a fraudulent story.

Didn't they show something like that in the 50's movie "Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers"?

I was just struck by the realization that a great deal of UFOs supposedly crash. Makes me wonder how these ETs managed to make it across the vastness of space to begin with?...seeing as they're accident prone and all.

This is one of the primary reasons that my BS meter starts going off the charts as soon as I hear someone tell a story involving crashed flying saucers. ;)

Didn't they show something like that in the 50's movie "Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers"?

They may very well have, but many people have suggested that RADAR was used to bring down the purported Roswell craft(s). :mellow:

This is one of the primary reasons that my BS meter starts going off the charts as soon as I hear someone tell a story involving crashed flying saucers. ;)

Crash stories are almost all hoaxes or disinformation.

They may very well have, but many people have suggested that RADAR was used to bring down the purported Roswell craft(s). :mellow:

I don't think there were any RADAR's in the area those that were didn't have the range, the one that may have was at White Sands but it was aimed upwards because it was used to track the Rockets that were being fired into space.

Hi guys...

It would appear that (not for the first time :blush: ) I have been 'temporarily taken in' by a cracking story, told by a seemingly trustworthy 'Old Soldier'!

The fact is...that this 'stand-up , salt of the earth old veteran' has been cashing in on his 'Fairytale' for years!

..I really must put a little more effort into research 'BEFORE' posting !!...And not afterwards!..And then maybe I would have thought better of it and saved myself a little embarrassment, when I came across the half a dozen or so articles that are floating around the net, that clearly and comprehensively debunks the 'Old codgers' hoax!

I'll spare you the tedium of sharing all of the hoax-exposing articles in the knowledge that this brief summary from Kevin Randle should suffice....

http://kevinrandle.blogspot.com/2012/02/willingham-1978-interview.html

...in the light of this information, the only mystery left in this particular story is...how come a book authored by a couple of respected writer/researchers Noe Torres, Ruben Uriarte about the 'event' was so well received a couple of years back?..perhaps the tag of 'respected' writer/researchers has been misplaced..? :hmm:

Cheers.

Edited by 1963

One of the issues I have and always have had, is why do UFO's allegedly crash? I mean, they have enough tech to cross the universe, if indeed they do, have stunning craft capable of all sorts of maneuvers, speeds and abilities, yet they just cant seem to avoid crashing on earth! Nah it just doesn't sit well with me. WE on earth have top pilots with top aircraft who complete their missions and return to base, and with only a very small percentage of those missions lost to dog fights, ground to air missiles, and very very rarely, mechanical failure.

WE have a good record in aviation and thats only with jets and 100 years of flight under the belt.

So alien tech then must be infinitely more capable of 'missions' with their highly advanced craft, which should perhaps, have all sorts of inbuilt safety mechanisms and autopilot type guidance functions and stuff we cant even imagine...

yet they crash.

And no trace is ever found or heard of ever again.

And the Titanic wasnt supposed to sink !,anything that flies or sails can have an accident,if this guy is telling the truth,any gov't would blanket out the evidence to avoid population panic.He doesnt sound like he has Alzhiemers,and I know about that my mum had it.

'Col. Robert B. Willingham' appears to exist on the web only in terms of this sighting. Also, nothing else on the web (for various versions of the name and different ranks) in connection with George S. Patton.

So, possibly a fertiliser of roses.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

[...]how come a book authored by a couple of respected writer/researchers Noe Torres, Ruben Uriarte about the 'event' was so well received a couple of years back?..perhaps the tag of 'respected' writer/researchers has been misplaced..? :hmm:

Cheers.

There is much of the research here as in M.Emoto's "science".

And yes, nowadays "respected" in UFOlogy is the one who makes more cheese from the same amount of crap-emoticon.gif

If the Radar dont get-em the Salt water will ! Remember to load your Water Guns !