Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Remembering 'Momo the Missouri Monster'

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Phoibos Apollon

Phoibos Apollon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• That's all very well and good in Practice, but does it work in Theory? --Althusser

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hey my first real post!

I'm in Illinois too and there are quite a few sightings. The BFRO researcher for the state is a very credible person from what I understand.

Although I haven't seen one myself, I'm not so sure anymore that Sasquatch isn't real. The sighting record goes back to pre-Columbian times, including sightings by Norse travellers to the Americas, and continues into the present. The BFRO database has IIRC 30,000+ sighting reports from across the country, including by military personnel and other otherwise credible sources.

There are two currently two studies that I'm aware of that are purportedly examining cryptid samples for Sasquatch DNA. Rumor has it that one has passed peer review and will publish soon in a major journal.

So, I'm putting my current Belief Level at 90%. Maybe 2012 will be a good year after all... :)

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." --Albert Einstein.

"They do not like the cat because the cat is free, and will never consent to become a slave. He will do nothing to your order, as the other animals do." --Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

#17    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

This is the first time I have heard for this. Ofcourse the 70's are a little blurry LOL

#18    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostRyegrog, on 17 July 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

I wonder if these images I've posted is what people are seeing in the woods.
Turkey Hunters will wear a variety of camo so a turkey can't see them and from
a distance people see a hunter walking along a treeline and thing it's a bigfoot.

Good point actually, that would cover big foot sightings etc as well.

That famous "michigan dogman" video was a guy in a ghillie suit. So that kind of proves people will mistake it for something else.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#19    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostPhoibos Apollon, on 17 July 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

Hey my first real post!

I'm in Illinois too and there are quite a few sightings. The BFRO researcher for the state is a very credible person from what I understand.

Although I haven't seen one myself, I'm not so sure anymore that Sasquatch isn't real. The sighting record goes back to pre-Columbian times, including sightings by Norse travellers to the Americas, and continues into the present. The BFRO database has IIRC 30,000+ sighting reports from across the country, including by military personnel and other otherwise credible sources.

There are two currently two studies that I'm aware of that are purportedly examining cryptid samples for Sasquatch DNA. Rumor has it that one has passed peer review and will publish soon in a major journal.

So, I'm putting my current Belief Level at 90%. Maybe 2012 will be a good year after all... :)
If your belief is at 90% have a look at the Algonquin Park footage taken in june 2012 you can view it at  bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/   I'm still on the fence with this one & the DNA sample

#20    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,474 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

I was talking to a guy at work as I mentioned in a previous post, He claims to have known the guy who hoaxed the MOMO.
The hoaxer is no longer living cause he crashed his ultralite.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#21    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostRyegrog, on 17 July 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

I wonder if these images I've posted is what people are seeing in the woods.
Turkey Hunters will wear a variety of camo so a turkey can't see them and from
a distance people see a hunter walking along a treeline and thing it's a bigfoot.

From afar it could look like a sasquatch.  But do they spray stink on themselves to attract Turkeys?       I've never smelled a wild turkey but people describe the smell of a sasquatch as horrendous.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#22    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

lol i do find this kinda funny..but liveing in the ozarks and hunting in the national forest for deer bear hogs turkeys  in my years i'll admit i've ran across sum strange things but not any thing that couldnt be explained  now beside the point between "momo" and say the "skunk ape"  might be the same beasty lol eather way a few years ago being a smart ass i asked a game an fish officer here in arkansas   what if i ran across a "bigfoot" out in the woods wile hunting what to do...his words" take blurry pics break a few tree limbs and post it" then i asked well what if i shoot it, he said"  we currently do not have a hunting tag for big foot so i dont know maybe like hunting deer out of season"  any way what ever if its out there fine if it's not thats just fine to but i damn shure wont be shareing my jack links with no damn dumass!

#23    NovenaRelic

NovenaRelic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

I remember the story of dear ol' Momo as a kid. I'll admit I'm pretty young, but that story stuck around here. I live near Crowley's Ridge, a rather scary place, especially at night. There are a lot of stories surrounding that entire ridge, ranging from the typical witch to Momo to ghastly spirits. My favorite ones are two that originated in Commerce, MO, an even smaller town than Louisiana, located in Southeast MO.
The first one is one of your regular witch... In a sense. She kept to herself, apparently, and I can't remember where her house is for the life of me, but I have seen it. It's really old, the front porch was caving in. You can still see furniture in the house, curtains still up in the windows, but you can tell it's been empty for decades at least. It's said that one day, she just took disappeared because of the townspeople, since considering, she's a witch.. Er, was. From gestimating, she'd be about 95-100 if she is still alive. The story says that she took off to the woods behind her house and built her house there. You can see a very, very small trail leading to the woods, but the trees are so thick you probably wouldn't be able to get far. No one knows what happened after that.
My other favorite is one I did very light research on, and like the witch story above, it's only known locally. It's the Commerce Werewolf. He's supposedly a huge monster, estimated to be as large as Momo or a bit bigger. I feel as if the height might be about the same, but the werewolf thing larger in body weight. I say he's a werewolf, but it's the closest "myth" I could link it to. The story says he has large claws but doesn't attack the civilians of Commerce, just kind of... watches them. My light research went as far as looking at Topix, where the Commerce residents will speak of him as a "guardian." I question why their ancestors chased away a witch but borderline worships a monstrous beast. Anyway. I'm not sure how long this story exists, but there is a pretty old house somewhere in the woods there that supposedly has a very, very, very large pentacle drawn into the wooden floor of the living room, significantly large claw marks all over the house and the trees surrounding it, and apparently... A Monopoly board. I didn't know about the Monopoly board until my at-the-time-boyfriend went there with his cousin and a few friends, since the story interested them, as well. I found that part kind of humorous. At any rate. There's a cliff near that house, where they said they hung around at after they checked out the house (they said it was virtually impossible to go very deep into the house, the living room was about the only safe-ish place without risking the floor caving in.) They heard a really loud noise, which I assume was a roar but none of them went into great detail about that, and heard the trees rustling and a crash. They said they saw the thing, which was, like stated, pretty big, and said it had claws. They also said it appeared incredibly hairy, but couldn't tell any color, since it was at night. I imagine the thing was silhouetted. My at-the-time-boyfriend and his cousin later told me that only they went back the next morning to see everything in the daylight. They said they had found a tree snapped in half, laying on the ground with claw marks in it.
The Commerce residents say that they see the beast every now and then, but it's pretty uncommon. It apparently has never threatened them, so I assume the intrusion of my friends at the time probably angered it. I've read reports of it being brown to black to even white, so there's no telling. When I read it was white, though, I imagined it to appear to look like a Bavarian thing from Fable, so I kind of dropped the matter. However, I realize now that many of these reports come from the older crowd, people in their 40's or older, people who have lived in Commerce their entire life. There are very few younger adults and teens that say they have seen it.
I also question if the two stories are at all connected.

#24    Phoibos Apollon

Phoibos Apollon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• That's all very well and good in Practice, but does it work in Theory? --Althusser

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostHarlequin Dreamer, on 17 July 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

If your belief is at 90% have a look at the Algonquin Park footage taken in june 2012 you can view it at  bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/   I'm still on the fence with this one & the DNA sample

To me it looks like somebody stuck a computer drawing into the frames of the video. The subject doesn't look like a real animal.

My belief is based largely on witness reports, although there are a few videos I've seen that do look like they are real animals. It would be hard to conclude that all videos are fake after all.

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." --Albert Einstein.

"They do not like the cat because the cat is free, and will never consent to become a slave. He will do nothing to your order, as the other animals do." --Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

#25    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 17 July 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

This is the first time I have heard for this. Ofcourse the 70's are a little blurry LOL

LOL

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#26    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,474 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 18 July 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

From afar it could look like a sasquatch.  But do they spray stink on themselves to attract Turkeys?    I've never smelled a wild turkey but people describe the smell of a sasquatch as horrendous.

Good point. I'm open minded to undiscovered species. A type of deer or antelope was discovered in southeast asia in the 1990's
called the Saola aka Asian Unicorn. Though westerners never new of it's existence until then, the locals knew of it. It's just that I don't
think the MOMO was a real creature but a hoax because sightings of it was short. It's possible an ape like creature could exist in the
western states and canadian wilderness where there are miles of forrest and mountain ranges to be elusive. Still though there is that
concrete evidence that is elusive.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#27    saddletramp

saddletramp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

There was an actual encounter in Elsberry Missouri on property that adjoined my dad's 200 acre farm; the land still belongs to M. Terrell - right off of Hwy W (first names withheld for privacy) As the story goes: our neighbor, T. McClain and his girlfriend,  came barreling down my dad's gravel road leading down to his house . Both of them were absolutely terrified as he recalls. They had pulled into the Terrell's property with their headlights on to go fishing in a small pond located by the house when they witnessed a very large hairy creature smashing the lid of a trash can, rummaging apparently for food. (marks in the lid were visible the next day) It walked into the woods to escape as they watched it fade away. It was not a bear. Both of them were franticly trying to tell my dad what they'd just seen when he said their dog, who they'd let out of the car, leaped back in through the window in a trembling frenzied jump and refused to come back out. Professional trackers came in the next day and,  an article was put in the local paper. What's really odd about the area where this happened is that a friend of the Terrell family died sometime around dusk while fishing in that same pond not too long before this particular sighting occurred. They found his boat floating adrift and divers recovered his body under water. Apparently he had suffered a heart attack. When they found him his arms were extended above his head as if he'd been clinging to the side of the boat after falling out and before dying. Did he see the same thing T. McClain saw? Is that what caused him to have the heart attack?

#28    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,205 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Momo? Really? You're sure it's not just an ex Mob made man hunkering down for some peace and quiet.....

#29    sjsp

sjsp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:28 AM

I lived in Mo during this time period. We lived in a valley that is around Fenton which is west of St. Louis. Today is the first time that I heard of Momo. Around the 1972 to 73 time frame my brothers and I went hiking with a friend up on the hill behind our valley. Somehow, I found myself alone from the three of them. We finally met up and all three of them had a story to tell. The were walking down a trail and came around a bend and saw a tall hairy creature standing on two feet eating berries. When it saw them it walked off on two feet. At first, I had my doubts and it took my friend that was with my brothers that caused me to believe their story.

Around six months later we were walking up the same hill to an old homestead. We arrived at the home and began playing when we heard a loud deep howl/growl from above the tree line which was above where we were. There was a shed that was right below the tree line and we got up to it and waited. This thing began throwing rocks down at us as it continued to let out these growls every so often. It souned mad at us being there. We were there maybe 10 minutes and then it lanched a large rock over the trees and the rock landed on the tim roof ripping a piece of tin to the ground. The shed was very old and there was sections of tin missing. The key for us was that the rock was pretty large and was able to take the pc of tin to the ground. The tree line behind the shed was around 15 to 18 feet tall. At this point we all ran down into the valley. We told one of the boy's father who came with a gun and a camera. We walked up the hill behind the tree line but by that time whatever it was was gone. We did find footprints in the rocky soil that he took pictures of. They seemed to be larger than a man's foot. Whatever was there was very heavy.

So who knows, maybe momo made his way around the area in the early 70's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users