Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it just a rumor or is it real?

Pinkdiamondxo

I am living in California and there's a rumor about a specific road that when you drive up the slope your car might shut down by itself and once you step outside of the car.. a moment later some force push your car up the slope for you. I don't know if it is real but I heard this from many people even my cousins. Although I don't know what road it is and everyone seem to be just spreading rumors. I recently look it up to see if there's any article about it and there is!

Anyone hear live in California and heard of the same rumor? Have anyone try it yet?

http://www.weirdus.c.../gravity_hills/

• Like 2

I believe there is a similar one, or supposed to be, in Scotland, where it feels as if you're rolling uphill. I think the usual explanation is that it's an optical illusion where it looks like you're going uphill when actually you're going down, or vice versa.

• Like 3

I am living in California and there's a rumor about a specific road that when you drive up the slope your car might shut down by itself and once you step outside of the car.. a moment later some force push your car up the slope for you. I don't know if it is real but I heard this from many people even my cousins. Although I don't know what road it is and everyone seem to be just spreading rumors. I recently look it up to see if there's any article about it and there is!

Anyone hear live in California and heard of the same rumor? Have anyone try it yet?

http://www.weirdus.c.../gravity_hills/

there was a documentation about this some years ago , this phenomenon happens in other countries too . they were able to explain it ...but cant remember why that was...

I believe its something to do with the Earth and gravity?

Edited by Yes_Man

I believe its something to do with the Earth and gravity?

Almost certainly an optical illusion.
  • Like 2

there was a documentation about this some years ago , this phenomenon happens in other countries too . they were able to explain it ...but cant remember why that was...

Thank you for sharing the video and I do think it is the earth gravity but what is the reason that it also happen in California too? Like does it happen anywhere else because i feel like is not just Scotland and Cali. Maybe this happen around the world in certain location. Not everyone bother to go neutral while they driving to find out.

Thank you for sharing the video and I do think it is the earth gravity but what is the reason that it also happen in California too? Like does it happen anywhere else because i feel like is not just Scotland and Cali. Maybe this happen around the world in certain location. Not everyone bother to go neutral while they driving to find out.

I'm sure it happens in many areas and I'm sure illusion is the cause in all areas.

• Like 1

Exackery.

It's just an optical effect as explained above, so it can happen anywhere. Have you never driven somewhere and found that even tho' you hadn't noticed an incline, your car was slowing because you were going uphill or vice versa? You need to get out more, or notice more..

In regard to the other claims of electrical interference, cars stalling - either a lame attempt to make it sound mysterious, or an unskilled driver stalled their car *because* they were focused on the illusion, and had to blame something else.... OMG - aliunz!

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing the video and I do think it is the earth gravity but what is the reason that it also happen in California too? Like

does it happen anywhere else because i feel like is not just Scotland and Cali. Maybe this happen around the world in certain location.

Not everyone bother to go neutral while they driving to find out.

Downhill is downhill and uphill is uphill. Gravity force work in both scenarios. Gravity does not allow to make objects move uphill.

If the landcape setup is like in the YT vid (Scotland), such optical illusion will occur everywhere in the world where the landcape

setup is similar. So there is nothing odd with such roads.

There are stories like this for a large number of places. In Pennsylvania, there's an intersection like this, if you coming in from the side road and stop at the stop sign then take your foot off the brake it seems like you're rolling backwards up a hill - but if you get out of the car it becomes more obvious that it's just an optical illusion because you're on the side of a mountain and the roads meet in an odd way. But this one comes with the myth that if you sprinkle baby powder over your hood first, after you roll backwards you'll see the handprints on your hood from some high school football team who's bus supposedly blew through the stop sign and off the cliff on the other side, killing them all of course.

• Like 1

Plenty of times, I've noticed my car slowing down while I'm very definitely doing downhill with my foot off the gas. I think that's just my car, though.

Exackery.

It's just an optical effect as explained above, so it can happen anywhere. Have you never driven somewhere and found that even tho' you hadn't noticed an incline, your car was slowing because you were going uphill or vice versa? You need to get out more, or notice more..

In regard to the other claims of electrical interference, cars stalling - either a lame attempt to make it sound mysterious, or an unskilled driver stalled their car *because* they were focused on the illusion, and had to blame something else.... OMG - aliunz!

It would make sense that the claim comes from vehicles with manual drive that don't get enough gas on an incline and stall out.

There's a spot heading towards the beack from my house where my old manual truck would slow down due to the incline. First time I hit it almost stalled out.

Noticed it happened after a long period of relatively flat terrain I wouldn't lut the gas on quick enough to keep up speed when I hit a sudden incline.

• Like 1

There are places all over the world like this. There is even a place in Canada, but there you have to pay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_Hill_%28Moncton%29

Here is a proper term apparently. It's a gravity hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_hill

There are hundreds of recognised gravity hills around the world.

There's on of those hills not far from where I live. Locally it's called the "Up-Down Hill". Leave a car in neutral on what looks like a downward slope and it will roll up.

I know people who have put forward all sorts of nutty explanations for it, including some sort of local magnetic or gravitational anomaly that causes cars to roll uphill. Of course a magnetic anomaly powerful enough to cause a ton of metal to roll uphill is going to have very obvious effects apart from that. And wouldn't explain why non-metallic objects like footballs can also appear to roll uphill.

The correct answer, as already noted in the thread, is that it's an illusion. I came across a paper written by someone who had investigated the phenomenon and found that the hills they investigated were all actually downward slopes that the local geography made look like uphill inclines. The lack of a visible horizon or a horizon that's off kilter because the land isn't flat but inclined combined with other factors like trees and telephone poles that aren't properly vertical can cause our brains to misjudge slopes so that a slight downward slope can look like a slight upward slope.

In the case of the one near me, the local geography certainly could explain the illusion. Off-kilter telephone poles. Steep hilly land. The section of road that appears to be a slope up comes between a couple of sections of road that are steep inclined which could confuse matters further when trying to figure out which way the road is sloping. It's near the see but because of the hilly land, the horizon is invisible so that can't be used by your brain to judge the slope of the road.

It's a pretty cool effect to see cars roll uphill. The last couple of times I was there, there were other cars there with people testing it out for themselves.

As to cars stalling at spots like this, my guess is that it happens no more or less than anywhere else, but all it takes is for it is for a couple of people's cars to stall coincidentally in one of those places for a story and legend to be born linking the two. If your car stalls or acts up in any other place, you wouldn't think twice about where it happened, but if it happens on a section of road known to harbour some sort of "anomaly" then people will convince themselves it can't be a coincidence and will naturally tend to associate their car stalling with the anomalous stretch of road even if there's no causal link between them.

I have known people who sware they have seen pink elephants so this could just be real?

I'm sorry but I don't think this deseves a serious answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it can be an optical illusion, even the slightest slope can make the car move it the breaks are not applied. But sometimes the road might seem as though It's moving up when in fact it's moving down.

Could be true, we have a road near me if u go under the bridge and shut your car off something pushes it