Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Sleep Paralysis and Hallucination

sleep paralysis visions presences

  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    scowl

scowl

    Government Agent

  • Closed
  • 4,111 posts
  • Joined:17 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

View Postfoxy-embalmer, on 19 June 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

I've been having this happen to me about 2 or 3 times a month for the past 12 years.  Does anyone else have them this often?  I do have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, and I work some really strange hours.

Waking apoplexy is a common sleep disorder. It's a natural function of sleep but for some people their brains don't recover as quickly when they wake up. The problem is usually harmless unless you have other sleep disorders that are affecting you alertness when you're awake.


#17    violetlight

violetlight

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined:17 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:somewhere between general confusion and total WTF

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Yup, this happens to me quite often, although lately it hasn't happened in a while - I will say I think alot of it is brought on by stress, and I haven't been stressed in a while (thank you!!), hence the lack of SP. When I was very stressed due to certain events in my life, it happened alot more. Lately I have even been able to sleep on my back with nothing happening. What a concept. There was a time when EVERY time I slept on my back it happened. I've also had it happen when I've layed on my side, although that's only been a handful of times.

I've grown used to it by now (go figure, just when it stops happening lol) and just kinda go with it. I hate the weird tingly feeling though. I try not to give in to the fear because I know what it is, and it's nothing to be scared of. Thankfully I've never been one to see alot of things either. Although I always do see my room, but it's darker, things are out of place and I've heard voices many times. It's always wierd that I can't tell if my eyes are open or closed when I'm looking around my room. I also have many times felt the sensation of being touched or dragged off the bed. The last time it happened, which was about 6-7 months ago or so (believe me, not having had it happen for 6-7 months is a record for me) I just let myself be pulled back into sleep which is something I'd never done before. I'd always give into that fear feeling I would get and force myself awake.

I hope that I don't have to experience this too much more, but I still feel kinda apprehensive everytime I lay on my back, like..."is it gonna happen?"


#18    Chaldera

Chaldera

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined:10 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Blackpool

  • "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgements"

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

I've noticed that a lot of these sleep paralysis experiences seem consistent between each participant; that is, the experiences differ from person to person, but not between those experienced by the same person.
I myself have experienced sleep paralysis on 3 occasions, and each time I see a plain white wall with a large window, the shadow of a tree being projected onto the window due to some outside light, and despite the completely mundane view (which I have NEVER seen in real life as far as I am aware, just stressing that point), it nevertheless disturbs me, and I end up lying there completely unable to move, practically screaming for someone to wake me up.


#19    EnglishStudent526

EnglishStudent526

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined:18 Mar 2012

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

Sleep paralysis?? this is the first time i've heard of it... Well anyways im in high school and I have been experiencing times where i wake up at night/early in the morning because of a wierd feeling comming over my body. The first incident was horrible. I couldn't move, nor could i say anything. Thinking it was the work of demons or something unholy, i brought myself to say God but in like a grudge kind of way? like talking but not how i usually do. The second time was when my mom had nightmares, i said that if there's anything here, they should come after me instead of my family. Eventually it did. This happened like 2 more times and in each of those i just brought myself to move a bit. Now just last night, I experienced it again. It was worse. It was all over my body, usually i would move but still feel it like the buzzing when somethings asleep. however this time i could only move my arms a little. Eventually it left and i rolled onto my side. Im really not sure what to make of this


#20    scowl

scowl

    Government Agent

  • Closed
  • 4,111 posts
  • Joined:17 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Sleep paralysis happens to all of us every time we go to sleep. If we weren't paralyzed, we would be moving our bodies as we dreamed so we'd all be sleep walking and punching things in our sleep. Normally it recedes as we wake up. If we wake up quickly it can be removed quickly. That's the "jump" we feel.

If you regularly experience sleep paralysis, it could be an indication of other sleep disorders but for most people it is a harmless inconvenience.


#21    EnglishStudent526

EnglishStudent526

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined:18 Mar 2012

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

so sleep paralysis is when you wake up but you're still in a dream state? where you can't move and you hallucinate??....
just need clarification.


#22    A Shadow

A Shadow

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Joined:17 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

.

View Postscowl said:

Sleep paralysis happens to all of us every time we go to sleep. If we weren't paralyzed, we would be moving our bodies as we dreamed so we'd all be sleep walking and punching things in our sleep. Normally it recedes as we wake up. If we wake up quickly it can be removed quickly. That's the "jump" we feel.

If you regularly experience sleep paralysis, it could be an indication of other sleep disorders but for most people it is a harmless inconvenience.

I dont see how we are all paralysis when we sleep. Would we not wake up paralysis when someone wakes us? How do you roll over if you are paralysis?. As a kid playing jokes on each other during sleep, we moved all the time. People fall out of bed all the time. I punch things in my sleep a handful of times.


#23    violetlight

violetlight

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined:17 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:somewhere between general confusion and total WTF

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yes, its when your mind "wakes up" before your body does. The paralyzed state hasn't left the body yet. And it's true, every human's body does this when they fall asleep. It's just that some of us jump the gun and our mind wakes up first.

What I often wonder though, is when people are tossing and turning in their sleep, when they really are asleep but change position, are we not "paralyzed" then? And it sounds like people who sleep walk have the opposite problem..they suffer from the lack of paralysis?


#24    A Shadow

A Shadow

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Joined:17 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

View Postvioletlight said:

Yes, its when your mind "wakes up" before your body does. The paralyzed state hasn't left the body yet. And it's true, every human's body does this when they fall asleep. It's just that some of us jump the gun and our mind wakes up first.

What I often wonder though, is when people are tossing and turning in their sleep, when they really are asleep but change position, are we not "paralyzed" then? And it sounds like people who sleep walk have the opposite problem..they suffer from the lack of paralysis?

How about when one lays down to sleep and SP kicks in right away? It is your body falling asleep before your mind? I can understand our motor functions being off when we sleep but to be paralyze like we are during SP when we sleep I don't see.

I think there more to Sleep Paralysis then we can understand at the moment.


#25    violetlight

violetlight

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined:17 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:somewhere between general confusion and total WTF

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

^^I agree, much to learn. I've actually never had SP kick in right away so I'm not sure how that works. Bottom line, there's alot we don't understand. I am just glad I'm not the only one this happens to. For a long time when I was younger I thought I was being haunted or something. lol


#26    Agent D. Scully

Agent D. Scully

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 218 posts
  • Joined:13 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:West Virginia

  • "O monstrous! O strange! We are haunted!"

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

I get sleep paralysis any time I lay on my back or right side. I have to lay with my back against the wall, or I get the sensation of something climbing over the edge of the bed onto my back, or from the foot of the bed onto my stomach. It seems to happen more if I fall asleep in a strange place or if I'm very tired or unwell. For me, it's usually a sensation of something very heavy climbing onto my stomach and sprawling out. At one point, I was trying to push it off, and I actually felt the weight slip to the side I was trying to get it to fall to when the paralysis lifted. I've also seen and felt luminescent hands touching my face and hair, seen stereotypical "grey" alien beings coming through the window, and heard ungodly shrieks. I see the WEIRDEST things. Straight out of some Lovecraft story.

I think the weirdest ones, and this actually happens quite a lot, is I wake up to see my mother or father in my room. They either walk from one side to the other and then back out, or stop to gibber something I can't understand and then leave. So I get up and start to get dressed, thinking they came in to wake me for the day, and I find that it's the wee hours of the morning and everyone else is asleep.

Another weird one, I dreamed there was a little kid standing in just boxers by my bed sobbing about being cold, so I gave him my blankets. When I woke up, my blankets were gone. After a long search, I found them on the mudroom couch made into a makeshift bed. I have absolutely no memory of doing this.

Also, is there anyone else who can't scream in their dreams? I make weird hoarse hissing noises, and wake myself up still making them, never actually screaming.

De omnibus Dubitandum. All is to be doubted.

"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you."

Come visit My  youtube channel!

#27    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

    Shadow Dancer

  • Member
  • 5,251 posts
  • Joined:17 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free Syria

  • Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

sleep paralysis will get you no matter if you slept on your back or on your head :D
once it wanna get you it will get you hehehehe
however if it bothers you too too much and it's annoys your sleep and happen very often
try changing the place of your sleep and i advice to leave tv on with low voice nearly heard
i don't know how but it always works with me
because sleep paralyze often happens when you are falling to sleep .. or eaither waking up

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great


#28    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

    Shadow Dancer

  • Member
  • 5,251 posts
  • Joined:17 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free Syria

  • Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostAgent D. Scully, on 22 June 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

I get sleep paralysis any time I lay on my back or right side. I have to lay with my back against the wall, or I get the sensation of something climbing over the edge of the bed onto my back, or from the foot of the bed onto my stomach. It seems to happen more if I fall asleep in a strange place or if I'm very tired or unwell. For me, it's usually a sensation of something very heavy climbing onto my stomach and sprawling out. At one point, I was trying to push it off, and I actually felt the weight slip to the side I was trying to get it to fall to when the paralysis lifted. I've also seen and felt luminescent hands touching my face and hair, seen stereotypical "grey" alien beings coming through the window, and heard ungodly shrieks. I see the WEIRDEST things. Straight out of some Lovecraft story.

I think the weirdest ones, and this actually happens quite a lot, is I wake up to see my mother or father in my room. They either walk from one side to the other and then back out, or stop to gibber something I can't understand and then leave. So I get up and start to get dressed, thinking they came in to wake me for the day, and I find that it's the wee hours of the morning and everyone else is asleep.

Another weird one, I dreamed there was a little kid standing in just boxers by my bed sobbing about being cold, so I gave him my blankets. When I woke up, my blankets were gone. After a long search, I found them on the mudroom couch made into a makeshift bed. I have absolutely no memory of doing this.

Also, is there anyone else who can't scream in their dreams? I make weird hoarse hissing noises, and wake myself up still making them, never actually screaming.
that's creepy
but yeah not being able to scream or run in dreams is common
so the person is trying to scream and cannot and end up making these noises you talking about

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great


#29    scowl

scowl

    Government Agent

  • Closed
  • 4,111 posts
  • Joined:17 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostA Silent Shadow, on 22 June 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

I dont see how we are all paralysis when we sleep. Would we not wake up paralysis when someone wakes us?

Do you mean "wake up paralyzed"? Your brain emits a chemical into the base of your brain to more or less paralyze you. When you wake up, that chemical is very quickly deactivated by yet another chemical.

Quote

How do you roll over if you are paralysis?.

When you roll over, you are not in a dream state.

Quote

As a kid playing jokes on each other during sleep, we moved all the time. People fall out of bed all the time.

They are most likely not in a dream state when this happens.

Quote

I punch things in my sleep a handful of times.

And this is exactly why sleep paralysis is an important function of sleep. Sometimes it fails and people sleepwalk and do things while they're dreaming. If it happens regularly it's considered a sleep disorder. People who have this disorder often injure themselves.


#30    scowl

scowl

    Government Agent

  • Closed
  • 4,111 posts
  • Joined:17 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostA Silent Shadow, on 22 June 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

How about when one lays down to sleep and SP kicks in right away?

This can be yet another common sleep disorder. When you go to sleep normally there is long period before your brain goes into a dream state. Some people's brains quickly go into a dream state. This can be a symptom of narcolepsy or it could be harmless.

Quote

It is your body falling asleep before your mind? I can understand our motor functions being off when we sleep but to be paralyze like we are during SP when we sleep I don't see.

This is called apoplexy. It can be caused by neurological problems which aren't related to sleep.

Quote

I think there more to Sleep Paralysis then we can understand at the moment.

Yes, it's no different from anything else in the human body yet people still go to doctors. ;)






Also tagged with sleep paralysis, visions, presences

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users