Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hi-Res picture of the 'Face' on Mars

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 25 May 2001 - 05:33 PM

This is a hi-resolution picture of the 'face' on Mars taken by the Mars Global Surveyor;

This link will take you to the page that shows you the comparison of the Viking & Global Surveyor pictures. It also gives you the opportunity to see an even closer view of the 'face', as well as a 3-D composite;

http
://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/msss/camera/i...ace/index.html

MAGIKMAN

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#2    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 25 May 2001 - 06:20 PM

I checked out the web site for additional pictures of the hi resolution face.

Although it looks a lot less like a face than previous pictures, it still has the features of the face. It looks more faded now, like erosion.

What I keep wondering is if it's a trick of light or photography, or may be a natural structure, then how did the sides of the structure get so smooth, with the corners to be so perfectly rounded?

Just something I always thought about.

Homer

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#3    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 26 May 2001 - 03:32 AM

Homer,
     That was exactly what I noticed when comparing the pictures, smooth and purposeful. It certainly is fasinating!!! grin2.gif

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#4    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 26 May 2001 - 01:14 PM

i think it would take longer than 25 year to erode that much. it's probably smooth because it was probably a volcano.
in the original photo of the 'face on mars', one pixle represented about 2 metres on the surface, which was probably the reason why it was mistaken as a face. ohmy.gif

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#5    dalia

dalia

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

• Purrrrr-fect Mystery

Posted 27 May 2001 - 11:39 PM

Ok...someone has been in my backyard taking pictures of my rock excavations.  :-/

P.S. I really trying for full member, ya'll.

Dalia

Purrr-fectly happy

#6    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 28 May 2001 - 02:46 AM

Dowdy

I wasnt referring to the difference to the original photos to the new photos as being just erosion after only 25 years. After all, it is a different RESOLUTION. That being said, it appears it could have suffered from erosion, among other things, from when it was CREATED, if it was created. That would explain as to why it's not a perfect "face" now.

This statement is for the ones who state that if it's artificial from intelligent beings, than why isnt it a better picture with more detail or something.

Homer

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users