Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence That Liquid Water Flows on Mars

Waspie_Dwarf

Wow! I always wondered when they would be able to confirm the existence of current water on Mars. All the past findings seemed to be leading up to this moment! It would be cool if we could get a sample.

This is unbelievable, so i guess the next question is not amnymore: Is there life in our solar system, But is there intelligent Life?

Wow! I always wondered when they would be able to confirm the existence of current water on Mars.

That water still existed on Mars was known for a long time but it was believed that it could only exist in ice or vapour form. The atmospheric pressure is so low on Mars that it was believed that water would sublime (that is go straight from solid stater to gaseous without becoming a liquid). This is in fact the case for pure water. The liquid water that has been discovered is incrdibly salty such that it alters the freezing and boing points sufficiently that it can remain liquid.

It would be cool if we could get a sample.

That may prove difficult, the recurring slope lineae, where this water flows, are found on the steep slopes of craters where landers and rovers would find it difficult to go.

• Like 2

Congratulations NASA!

You've discovered what the "crackpots" have known for years. :lol:

Edited by AZDZ
  • Like 5

So whats to say there isnt a liquid ocean of salt water beneath the surface comparitive to the body of water found beneath the desert in China. It seems to me water is the norm on any planetary body.

Edited by FTWind

Whilst it's not impossible that Mars has underground oceans it is highly unlikely. Large bodies of salty water would cause tell tale fluctuations in the Martian magnetic field.

Even though the Martian magnetic field is very weak it has been studied for many years. No such evidence has been discovered.

• Like 1

Great announcement! Maybe a small fresh water aquifer can be found, or would that cause the same magnetic field disruptions?

Great announcement! Maybe a small fresh water aquifer can be found, or would that cause the same magnetic field disruptions?

I don't know, but is it water to support human exploration you are after there is plenty of ice.

• Like 1

That may prove difficult, the recurring slope lineae, where this water flows, are found on the steep slopes of craters where landers and rovers would find it difficult to go.

Well hello Mr. Buzzkill

Whilst it's not impossible that Mars has underground oceans it is highly unlikely. Large bodies of salty water would cause tell tale fluctuations in the Martian magnetic field.

Even though the Martian magnetic field is very weak it has been studied for many years. No such evidence has been discovered.

Mr. Buzzkill again

This is unbelievable, so i guess the next question is not amnymore: Is there life in our solar system, But is there intelligent Life?

Well, not yet. Although water makes it more likely that life existed on Mars, it hardly proves it.

Well hello Mr. Buzzkill

Mr. Buzzkill again

Facts are facts. They are what they are. They don't exist to make you happy.

Edited to add:

Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger. I didn't create the reality, I only described it.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 3

Well, not yet. Although water makes it more likely that life existed on Mars, it hardly proves it.

Well hello Mr Buzzkill... ;)

• Like 2

How unsurprising.

How unsurprising.

If you think it is unsurprising then you really don't understand the chemistry involved.

i think it's remarkable. people seem to forget that speculation and evidence are very different things.

• Like 3

It had been speculated that it could happen,observation seem to suggest it was happening, and now there is solid evidence that it is, indeed happening. It's a nice fact to have finally nailed down. Now it must be determined what the source is, a layer of some sort of Martian permafrost, perhaps?

• Like 1

Now it must be determined what the source is, a layer of some sort of Martian permafrost, perhaps?

That seems highly probable as this water only flows in the warm seasons and stops again in the colder seasons.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 2

funnily Nasa came to a conclusion i knew years ago and some which I expressed here (see post number 8) and read here on wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_on_Mars

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=279458

Amazing !

Liquid water might indicate the conditions for life might have once existed on Mars and might still persist underground, if the speculated underground aquifers are there, but that's only half the equation. Since the process by which inanimate matter becomes living matter has yet to be described, we've no way of knowing whether those conditions were present on Mars and if life, indeed, resulted. We'll just have to keep looking.