Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Second-hand smoke dangers revealed

Still Waters

More than 800 children visit their doctor every day due to the effects of being exposed to second-hand smoke, according to research published by the Royal College of Physicians.

The figures have been highlighted as the Government launches a campaign to increase awareness of the hidden dangers of smoking in homes and cars. Millions of children in the UK are exposed to second-hand smoke daily, which puts them at increased risk of lung disease, meningitis and cot death.

http://news.uk.msn.c...angers-revealed

when will they ever leave smokers alone

they keep stricting smokers rights .. and that ain't right

More than 800 children visit their doctor every day

?really?

When was the last time you saw in the papers or news a child has been diagnosed with second hand smoke inhalation when the parent took them to the doctors?

what about the car fumes we all inhale?

How about all the cr%p they put in the foods today?

What about all the fast foods these kids eat?

Obviously the EU are coming out with another "anti smoking " rule and this is the way to warn us without spilling the beans too early.

We are all aware of the dangers of second hand smoke FCOL that is why there is no smoking in any public places anymore. So this is not new, or when they first reported it they meant children were not included? jeeeeze!!!!

• Like 2

More than 800 children visit their doctor every day

?really?

When was the last time you saw in the papers or news a child has been diagnosed with second hand smoke inhalation when the parent took them to the doctors?

what about the car fumes we all inhale?

How about all the cr%p they put in the foods today?

What about all the fast foods these kids eat?

Obviously the EU are coming out with another "anti smoking " rule and this is the way to warn us without spilling the beans too early.

We are all aware of the dangers of second hand smoke FCOL that is why there is no smoking in any public places anymore. So this is not new, or when they first reported it they meant children were not included? jeeeeze!!!!

seriously !

with all the cars pumping smoke in the air and with all factories

and cancer caused by " food " non the less they keep getting on back of smokers

it's like modern witchhunt .. only smokers instead of witches

next thing you know it was smokers who pinched a hole in the O-zone

• Like 2

next thing you know it was smokers who pinched a hole in the O-zone

haha, do not them give them any more ridiculous ideas, they will try anything!

• Like 2

Dr phil: Seven Steps to Breaking Your Addiction

2) Think rational thoughts instead of denial.

You understand at a conscious level, at an intellectual level that your addiction is unhealthy, yet you continue and this perplexes you. Dr. Phil points out, "If you're in denial about it, if you're minimizing it, if you're trivializing it, if you're conning yourself about it, then you'll never get where you need to be." If you can't get through the day without a shot of vodka, you may be medicating yourself for anxiety, depression or pain. You may need to count on others to help you think rationally.

Obviously you people need to re-read this step multiple times because the way you're outing your junky frustrations here are so textbook cliché.

Get over yourself. Even Dr Phil, of all people, is on to you.

If you wanna be an idiot about it and continue, fine. But don't pretend everyone has to just smoke along with you (second hand) because you can't think straight. How narcissistic is that.

Edited by Render

Dr phil: Seven Steps to Breaking Your Addiction

2) Think rational thoughts instead of denial.

You understand at a conscious level, at an intellectual level that your addiction is unhealthy, yet you continue and this perplexes you. Dr. Phil points out, "If you're in denial about it, if you're minimizing it, if you're trivializing it, if you're conning yourself about it, then you'll never get where you need to be." If you can't get through the day without a shot of vodka, you may be medicating yourself for anxiety, depression or pain. You may need to count on others to help you think rationally.

Obviously you people need to re-read this step multiple times because the way you're outing your junky frustrations here are so textbook cliché.

Get over yourself. Even Dr Phil, of all people, is on to you.

If you wanna be an idiot about it and continue, fine. But don't pretend everyone has to just smoke along with you (second hand) because you can't think straight. How narcissistic is that.

So the whole 'be like us, the non-smokers because we are better people' isn't narcissistic in the least right? Or condescending, rude or inconsiderate either?

Protip #332 Before you leave the house make sure you don't leave the irony on.

• Like 1

So the whole 'be like us, the non-smokers because we are better people' isn't narcissistic in the least right? Or condescending, rude or inconsiderate either?

Protip #332 Before you leave the house make sure you don't leave the irony on.

That is what most smokers reduce every rational argument against smoking to. Like it's this battle of who is the best.

It's about smokers having to respect non smokers, ESPECIALLY CHILDREN (as the article highlights). Instead of just saying "you have to respect me mimimiimimii" while blowing smoke in a child's face. Cmon, get over yourself.

It's not because smokers wanna smoke they have drag everyone else's health through the mud. As i said before,

That is what most smokers reduce every rational argument against smoking to. Like it's this battle of who is the best.

It's about smokers having to respect non smokers, ESPECIALLY CHILDREN (as the article highlights). Instead of just saying "you have to respect me mimimiimimii" while blowing smoke in a child's face. Cmon, get over yourself.

It's not because smokers wanna smoke they have drag everyone else's health through the mud. As i said before,

Seriously? How often do you think smokers go around blowing smoke into children's faces? This preposterous exaggeration isn't helping your argument.

And respect? Smokers no longer smoke on buses or planes. They don't smoke in restaurants or bars. They go outside and smoke at least 10 feet from any door or window. They pay exorbitant taxes on a product that they are addicted to. So far the only respect has been given by the smokers, none has been received.

Edited by Slave2Fate
  • Like 2

Another thing, considering the amount of money generated as revenue for state and federal governments on tobacco taxes it pretty much guarantees that tobacco isn't very likely to be outlawed or banned any time soon. Non-smokers kinda shot themselves in the foot (or would that be lung?) with that nonsense. Whoops, more irony!

*Speaking of the US at least, I'm not sure what the tobacco taxation is in the UK.

• Like 2

Seriously? How often do you think smokers go around blowing smoke into children's faces? This preposterous exaggeration isn't helping your argument.

And respect? Smokers no longer smoke on buses or planes. They don't smoke in restaurants or bars. They go outside and smoke at least 10 feet from any door or window. They pay exorbitant taxes on a product that they are addicted to. So far the only respect has been given by the smokers, none has been received.

Great, and apparantly more still has to be done.

How do you think all these smoke related health problems come about in children and others, but again the article highlights children? Do you think it just magically materialises in their bodies?

So yes, more respect is needed. Not your evasive addiction denial talk.

What do you want? You want me to applaud smokers for causing severe health issues in children? Because they don't smoke in restaurants anymore?

You act like smokers deserve a medal for being restrained from bothering other people. Get real. It was the obvious thing to do , but because the addiction is so strong you tell yourselves all sort of crap to legitimise this behaviour like you are entitled to let other people suffer from second hand smoke. Congrats, you're dellusional and the ideal customer for tobacco. Slave2fate? More like Slave2BigBusiness

Great, and apparantly more still has to be done.

How do you think all these smoke related health problems come about in children and others, but again the article highlights children? Do you think it just magically materialises in their bodies?

So yes, more respect is needed. Not your evasive addiction denial talk.

What do you want? You want me to applaud smokers for causing severe health issues in children? Because they don't smoke in restaurants anymore?

You act like smokers deserve a medal for being restrained from bothering other people. Get real. It was the obvious thing to do , but because the addiction is so strong you tell yourselves all sort of crap to legitimise this behaviour like you are entitled to let other people suffer from second hand smoke. Congrats, you're dellusional and the ideal customer for tobacco. Slave2fate? More like Slave2BigBusiness

Sure, delusional. Whatever hate mongering and dehumanizing propaganda helps you sleep at night. Nice Ad Hom by the way, it really sells your point, as long as your point was an unhinged tirade.

• Like 2

you'll have to forgive render S2F, he's a bit of a gobs**te who thinks he knows everything, and wouldn't understand 'civil' if it held open a door for him

*Speaking of the US at least, I'm not sure what the tobacco taxation is in the UK.

it's that bad S2F, that the tobacco-smuggling industry in britain is bigger than drug-smuggling.

a 20-pack will cost you £9, which in your money is around $15.

and a good 2/3rds of it is tax.

you'll have to forgive render S2F, he's a bit of a gobs**te who thinks he knows everything, and wouldn't understand 'civil' if it held open a door for him

Yes, im a horrible person. Actually putting it in words that smoking destroys the health of children. A true terrible person.

But you, oh you're a true gentleman. Just look at what you write here. Clap clap.

dumbass.jpg

Edited by Render

Second-hand smoke is has dangerous as smoking. You breathe it and it gets to your lungs. I am thankful to have grew up without cigarette smoking at home. And very happy to have stopped smoking before getting 18 years old.

Yes, im a horrible person. Actually putting it in words that smoking destroys the health of children. A true terrible person.

what you're doing, render, is propagating myths, as usual, without veryfiying facts, as usual, and launching uncalled for tirades against people, as usual, on subjects you know nothing about, as usual.

do you REALLY think that a third of a million children are visiting the doctors EACH YEAR because of smoking??

how many smokers do you think there are in the UK for gods' sake?

smokers with children?

IRRESPONSIBLE smokers with children?

come to think of it, how many CHILDREN do you think there are?!

in ten years of ''study'', there'd be more children with smoking-related illnesses than there ARE children, any-one with common sense and an ounce of brain could see that.

which is why you can't,

dumbass.jpg

all you're doing is falling for bulls**t circulated by the Govt. as ''fact''.

sad, bitter people like you often do.

dumbass?

said the pot.

QUOTE-

More than 800 children visit their

doctor every day due to the effects

of being exposed to second-hand

smoke, according to research

published by the Royal College of

Physicians.

A survey found that of 679 smoking

parents, 68% of them who smoke

admit to doing so in the car with

their children present

and this is what the RCP classes as ''research'' these days is it....?

surveys don't qualify as legitimate research.

never have done.

never will do.

75% of

smoking parents were shocked to

hear that second-hand smoke affects

the health of so many children.

I bet they were!

I bet they were shocked to find they weren't knee-deep in kids everywhere too if those ''study figures'' were to be believed.

More than 80% of second-hand

smoke is invisible and odourless,

and contains harmful cancer-causing

toxins and poisons.

no s**t sherlock.

Chief Medical Officer Professor Dame

Sally Davies said: "It's well-known

that smoking kills but many smokers

still don't realise the damage their

smoke causes to those around them.

yup, i'll bet that comes as a BIG suprise to anyone who's been living under a rock for the last 50yrs or so.....

Second-hand smoke can be an

invisible killer and with more than

300,000 people seeing their GP each

year because of it,

(and all of them children apparently.)

we need to make

sure people know how dangerous it

can be."

so we can justify our ''research'' budget.

and then spend it without actually researching anything.....

seriously, how can anyone be taken in by this kind of crap masquerading as 'science'?

you'd have to be pretty naive and/or stoopid if you were.

Oh i see, you're just trying to cause trouble.

When i read this latest dazed post of you, you contradict yourself just so you can be aggressive towards me...while you are actually partly agreeing with me and just repeating what im saying.

And you don't even understand that you are doing it. So again

dumbass.jpg

QUOTE-

I bet they were!

I bet they were shocked to find they weren't knee-deep in kids everywhere too if those ''study figures'' were to be believed.

So here you're gonna be all in denial, and attack the survey/study/whatever

and then here:

More than 80% of second-hand

smoke is invisible and odourless,

and contains harmful cancer-causing

toxins and poisons.

no s**t sherlock.

You're suddenly agreeing that it's obvious it causes harm, so the survey can't be that ridiculous for again highlighting that it causes damage in children. If you wanna nitpick numbers here just so you have something to argue about then you can keep it to yourself.

It's about the bigger picture that smoking causes harm, get it ? Not about this study.

You say no **** sherlock, so why you fussing? You got some sand in your vagina?

yup, i'll bet that comes as a BIG suprise to anyone who's been living under a rock for the last 50yrs or so.....

Here again, just agreeing with, whilst you're fighting me on it. Ridiculous.

Second-hand smoke can be an

invisible killer and with more than

300,000 people seeing their GP each

year because of it,

(and all of them children apparently.)

YOu really need to try harder if you're gonna try and make a point.

Not of all them children of course, duh. This article is only about highlighting children, while acknowledging it affects everybody negatively. Which i also stated.

we need to make

sure people know how dangerous it

can be."

so we can justify our ''research'' budget.

and then spend it without actually researching anything.....

Nope, they need to make sure because of ******s like you and others who are in denial.