Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Endeavour Heading West

space shuttle endeavour shuttle carrier aircraft nasa

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,431 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

This morning the Space Shuttle Endeavor flew from Cape Canaveral Florida to it's final resting place in California. On its flight, the modified 747 carrying the shuttle dropped to an altitude of 1,500 feet over the Stennis Space Center in Mississippi as well as the Michoud Facility in New Orleans East. The low altitude was maintained as it flew over parts of New Orleans heading to Houston for another low fly-over.

Here are two of the photos my co-worker was able to take of the shuttle aboard the 747:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 20 September 2012 - 12:58 PM.
Put back tags which got lost during merger.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

www.nasa.gov said:

Wheels Up -- Final Shuttle Ferry Flight Begins
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:42:57 PM GMT

Space shuttle Endeavour departed NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida this morning, secured atop a 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. The duo took off from Kennedy's Shuttle Landing Facility runway shortly after 7:22 a.m. EDT.

Residents and visitors across Florida's Space Coast may catch one last glimpse of the piggybacked pair as the aircraft flies south, making a low pass over nearby beaches, Patrick Air Force Base, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, and the runway at Kennedy before leaving the area.

The cross-country journey is expected to end with the ferry flight's arrival at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday, Sept. 21.

Posted Image Source

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

www.nasa.gov said:

Endeavour Departs Space Coast, Heads West
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:42:57 PM GMT

Secured atop NASA's modified 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, space shuttle Endeavour is headed west after a 7:22 a.m. EDT departure from Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The early-morning takeoff marked the beginning of the final ferry flight of the Space Shuttle Program.

The flight path will take the aircraft to the northwest, across the Florida panhandle and toward Houston after low-level passes over NASA's Stennis Space Center in southwest Mississippi and Michoud Assembly Facility east of New Orleans.

Arriving in the Houston area at approximately 9 a.m. CDT, the SCA crew will initiate a 1,500 flyover of various areas of the city, including downtown, before heading to the Clear Lake area. The SCA and Endeavour are predicted to land at Ellington Field at about 10:45 a.m. CDT.

The SCA/Endeavour will depart at dawn on Thursday and make a fueling stop at Biggs Army Air Field in El Paso before proceeding to Dryden Flight Research Facility at Edwards Air Force Base, California. On Friday it will depart Dryden for a flyover of northern California and areas of the Los Angeles basin before landing at LAX between 11 a.m. and noon PDT. In October, Endeavour will move to the California Science Center to begin a new mission inspiring future explorers.

Posted Image

Image above: Space shuttle Endeavour, secured atop the modified 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, takes to the skies after departure from NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Photo credit: NASA
View larger image

Posted Image Source

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,431 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

I just started another thread with pics of when it flew over New Orleans.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 19 September 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

I just started another thread with pics of when it flew over New Orleans.

Sorry, I didn't see that. I'll merge them.

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,431 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Thanks Waspie! I've been mentally giving my 6th grade teacher the two finger salute for not allowing us outside to see the last fly-over. I don't remember which shuttle mission it was (though I could probably look it up if I was of a mind to), but the shuttle had to land at White Sands, NM (???) and then fly back to Florida. She was convinced it wouldn't be visible to the naked eye, so my class remained inside while the rest of the whole school went outside and saw it. I was determined to see something this time and I did!! :D

#7    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,872 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Video - Space shuttle Endeavour on its final journey

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19645533

Posted Image

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 19 September 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

I don't remember which shuttle mission it was (though I could probably look it up if I was of a mind to), but the shuttle had to land at White Sands, NM (???)
STS 3 back in March 1982 was the only mission to land at White Sands. Bad weather prevented Columbia from landing at Edwards AFB in California and they were not yet ready to attempt landings at Kennedy.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 19 September 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

www.nasa.gov said:

Shuttle Carrier Aircraft and Space Shuttle Endeavour Land in Houston
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 04:46:30 PM GMT

NASA's Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) with space shuttle Endeavour mounted on top landed at Houston's Ellington Field at 10:40 a.m. CDT. Public viewing at Ellington has been extended to 9 p.m. CDT, since the aircraft will remain in Houston for one night rather than two.

The SCA and Endeavour, making the final ferry flight of NASA's Space Shuttle Program, are scheduled to land at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Friday, Sept. 21. In cooperation with the Federal Aviation Administration, the SCA is scheduled to conduct low-level flyovers at about 1,500 feet above locations along the planned flight path.

The aircraft will depart Houston at dawn on Thursday and make a fueling stop at Biggs Army Air Field in El Paso before proceeding to Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base in California. On Friday it will depart Dryden for a flyover of northern California and areas of the Los Angeles basin before landing at LAX between 11 a.m. and noon PDT. In October, Endeavour will move to the California Science Center to begin a new mission inspiring future explorers.

During the cross-country ferry flight, social media users are encouraged to share their Endeavour sightings using the hashtags #spottheshuttle and #OV105, Endeavour's vehicle designation.

Posted Image Source

Posted Image
Click on button

#10    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,431 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 19 September 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

STS 3 back in March 1982 was the only mission to land at White Sands. Bad weather prevented Columbia from landing at Edwards AFB in California and they were not yet ready to attempt landings at Kennedy.

Thanks Waspie. I certainly didn't feel old counting that far back! :P lol

I had no idea, though, that only one mission landed at White Sands.

I should also add that if you click on either of the two pics I shared, you will have access to larger photos that show the jet and its passenger more clearly. As is, it looks pretty far away.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 19 September 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#11    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,431 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 19 September 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Video - Space shuttle Endeavour on its final journey

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19645533

I swear the shuttle looks small sat upon that 747 but every time I saw it on the ground by itself, it looked pretty big to me!

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

www.nasa.gov said:

Endeavour/SCA 'Go' for Takeoff from Houston
Thu, 20 Sep 2012 01:02:04 PM GMT

NASA's Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) with space shuttle Endeavour mounted on top are scheduled to take off from Houston's Ellington Field at 7 a.m. CDT Thursday morning to continue a cross-country ferry flight to California.

In cooperation with the Federal Aviation Administration, the SCA is scheduled to conduct low-level flyovers at about 1,500 feet above locations along the planned flight path, including the Clear Lake area, NASA's Johnson Space Center and Houston. After departing the Houston area, the flight plan includes a low pass over the downtown Austin area near the Texas State Capitol building between 7:30-8 a.m. A fueling stop is planned at about 8:30 a.m. MDT in El Paso at Biggs Army Air Field.

Takeoff from Biggs is planned for about 11 a.m. The SCA and Endeavour will make low-level flybys of the White Sands Missile Range and NASA's White Sands Test Facility in New Mexico, as well as Tucson, Arizona en route to California. The flyover of Tucson will take place approximately an hour and 15 minutes after departure from Biggs. Arrival at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center on Edwards Air Force Base is scheduled for approximately noon PDT.

The exact timing and path of the ferry flight will depend on weather conditions and operational constraints. Some planned flyovers or stopovers could be delayed or canceled.

NASA Television will air live coverage of today's landing at Edwards Air Force Base and tomorrow's departure. During the cross-country ferry flight, social media users are encouraged to share their Endeavour sightings using the hashtags #spottheshuttle and #OV105, Endeavour's vehicle designation.

Posted Image Source

Posted Image
Click on button

#13    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

www.nasa.gov said:

SCA/Endeavour Land in El Paso
Thu, 20 Sep 2012 03:30:43 PM GMT

NASA's Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) with space shuttle Endeavour mounted on top landed at Biggs Army Air Field in El Paso, Texas, at 8:12 a.m. MDT, following its departure from Houston at 7:03 a.m. CDT.

Takeoff from Biggs is planned for about 11 a.m. MDT. The SCA and Endeavour will make low-level flybys of the White Sands Missile Range and NASA's White Sands Test Facility in New Mexico, as well as Tucson, Arizona en route to California. The flyover of Tucson will take place approximately an hour and 15 minutes after departure from Biggs.

Arrival at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center on Edwards Air Force Base is scheduled for approximately noon PDT. NASA Television will air live coverage of today's landing at Edwards Air Force Base and tomorrow's sunrise departure. NASA TV is available on the Web at www.nasa.gov.ntv

Posted Image

Image above: Space shuttle Endeavour, secured atop the modified 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, flies over Reliant Stadium and the Astrodome during the flight from Kennedy to Houston. Photo credit: NASA
View larger image

Posted Image Source

Posted Image
Click on button

#14    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

www.nasa.gov said:

Posted Image

Space Shuttle Endeavour Over Houston, Texas

Space Shuttle Endeavour is ferried by NASA's Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) over Houston, Texas on September 19, 2012. NASA pilots Jeff Moultrie and Bill Rieke are at the controls of the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. Photo taken by NASA photographer Sheri Locke in the backseat of a NASA T-38 chase plane with NASA pilot Thomas E. Parent at the controls.

Photo Credit: NASA/Sheri Locke

Posted Image Source

Posted Image
Click on button

#15    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,431 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

That's an awesome photo!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users