Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Could global warming lead to 10ft reptiles?

global warming reptiles

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,087 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Scientists previously thought that large meat-eating dragons grew larger than their herbivore cousins because of a lack of predators.

These findings now from from the University of California and University of Nebraska-Lincoln suggest that a warmer climate is needed for large lizards to grow - and that global warming could cause this to happen again.

http://www.dailymail...do-dragons.html

Posted Image

#2    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,853 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

This is an interesting hypothesis, but it does seem to contradict itself somewhat (from the same article):

"Because today’s largest lizards, like the carnivorous Komodo Dragon of Komodo Island, Japan, are found soley on mammal-free islands, scientists have suggested that lizards can grow large only in the absence of large mammals that compete with them or eat them".

There are a large number of Lizard species evolved into temperate and warmer climes (with abundant vegetation) that have not been subject to gigantism, but are still subject to predation by other species. Whilst the majority are carnivorous, a significant minority, of mostly iguana species, are totally herbivorous.

In particular, the Galapagos Marine Iguanas that feed off of seaweed, and live in temperate climes with no low extremes of temperature have not evolved gigantism traits even in the absence of mammalian predation. The supply of seaweed is constant, the air temperatures are relatively high (as is the seawater temperature), higher than average Jurassic era temperatures.

So, I would say that these are just a couple of speculative statements that appear to have come from nowhere and based on little actual research. IMO

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,047 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Now that would be a morally acceptable reason for carrying a big gun around with you.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,407 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

But doesn't it take a higher oxygen level along with the warmer temps for reptiles to grow that big.

#5    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,853 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostHilander, on 14 July 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

But doesn't it take a higher oxygen level along with the warmer temps for reptiles to grow that big.
No, the Komodo Dragon is a good example, except they are carnivores

Edited by keithisco, 14 July 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,407 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 14 July 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

No, the Komodo Dragon is a good example, except they are carnivores
Yes they are big but if we had the oxygen levels they did back in the day of the dinosaurs would they be much bigger.  I have read that higher oxygen levels allowed them to grow so much bigger.

#7    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,571 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostHilander, on 16 July 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Yes they are big but if we had the oxygen levels they did back in the day of the dinosaurs would they be much bigger.  I have read that higher oxygen levels allowed them to grow so much bigger.

am with you on that, i thought the higher oxygen level allowed they to grow massive. or played a part.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#8    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 July 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Now that would be a morally acceptable reason for carrying a big gun around with you.
Oh, don't even start.
There are a ton of morally acceptable reasons, but only those that choose to blind themselves or wish to rely on government ignore the real usages.
There is no reason to even bring that up here, since you wouldn't even know or wish to defend yourself against a giant lizard.

If you lived in the U.S now and know first-hand what the druggies and degenerates around here speak of-which I've had years of experience among them, listening- you'd want a gun.

You've lived through Vietnam. I applaud you. I know a lot who have been through the same and they'd laugh at your ridiculous arguments.

Anyhow, I find this thread to be a very informative and wonderful read. Thank you.

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,047 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

I think there are very few reasons one can morally justify having a gun.  I guess a lot depends on one's moral attitude about killing.  The remark I posted about big reptiles was not serious, and it's a little surprising that you took it that way.

#10    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,167 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

I don`t think your kid`s kid`s grand children have to worry. I have a six foot boa and want him to grow to 8 ft but i doubt she will make it that big lol my tortise will live past me and I don`t think he will get much bigger.  

The reason dino got so big was abaluetly due to oxygen levels and temp. Plus a food supply not messed up by humans.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#11    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,167 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 July 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

I think there are very few reasons one can morally justify having a gun.  I guess a lot depends on one's moral attitude about killing.  The remark I posted about big reptiles was not serious, and it's a little surprising that you took it that way.

This is the third time I think you need to use a ;) people don`t get when your goofing.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,047 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

I dare say a twelve-or-so foot lizard would be a specimen worth keeping alive, although in such a world there would probably be few of us left.

#13    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,378 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

If alligators and crocs are reptiles, we already have 10 foot reptiles.

#14    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,234 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 14 July 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

These findings now from from the University of California and University of Nebraska-Lincoln suggest that a warmer climate is needed for large lizards to grow - and that global warming could cause this to happen again.
Won't happen.  Evolution, even the rapid evolution now being discussed, doesn't work that fast.  Also, there's human impact to consider.  If we continue to pollute the atmosphere, we could render the planet uninhabitable to most species.  If we manage to destroy ourselves then photosynthesis will eventually restore the pre-warming status quo.  And if we manage to take control of the climate and maintain it at a warmer-than-natural temperature, we will also produce adverse impacts on lizards.  Doesn't look too good for lizards.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#15    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,571 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 18 July 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Won't happen.  Evolution, even the rapid evolution now being discussed, doesn't work that fast.  Also, there's human impact to consider.  If we continue to pollute the atmosphere, we could render the planet uninhabitable to most species.  If we manage to destroy ourselves then photosynthesis will eventually restore the pre-warming status quo.  And if we manage to take control of the climate and maintain it at a warmer-than-natural temperature, we will also produce adverse impacts on lizards.  Doesn't look too good for lizards.
Doug

600 million years from now there will be no photosynthesis, and all plants and trees will be no more. in little over a billion years, its goodnight Irene. with the sun being 10% brighter than today. and just to think a billion years is nothing on the true time scale of the universe. :cry:

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

Also tagged with global warming, reptiles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users