Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Obama passes the Syria Ball to Congress

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

LA Times said:

WASHINGTON -- President Obama said Saturday that he believes the United States “should take military action” in response to last week’s chemical attack in Syria, but he will seek congressional approval for ordering a strike.

In a brief statement delivered in the White House Rose Garden, Obama said the U.S. military was prepared to launch a strike against the Syrian government, but that readiness was "not time sensitive."

Obama said he believes he has the authority to act without congressional approval, but asked lawmakers to weigh in and shoulder the responsibility for the decision.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,355 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

So finally Obama can act without congressional approval.  He's been itching to attack Assad for months now.

Seems like the chemical tragedy against civilians has had a profound emotional impact within Congress.  I only hope his sources have undeniable proof that it was the Assad regime that was responsible.  After all, you'd have to be pretty skeptical of a guy who's unmistakably assisted the rebel forces in the past and even gone to lengths in supplying Al Queda with weaponry as long as he was able to achieve his ultimate goal of overturning the Assad regime.

Edited by Black Red Devil, 31 August 2013 - 09:10 PM.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,398 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

I don't think there is much question about who has the chemical weapons in Syria and who is ruthless enough and criminal and evil enough.  We already have seen that.

#4    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,616 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 31 August 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

I don't think there is much question about who has the chemical weapons in Syria and who is ruthless enough and criminal and evil enough.  We already have seen that.

You mean Al Qaeda affiliated terrorists......yes I agree... :)

Posted Image

#5    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

I see a scenario that though highly unlikely, would be interesting. Imagine if Congress votes down Obama, that would leave only the French as the "leader" of the free world to launch the attack and wag a finger at the rest of us immoral cowards. Anyone for cheese....

#6    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

Congress needs some good press ..   clever.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#7    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,758 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

I personally think congress will vote not to get involved.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#8    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

They may vote to not do anything militarily ..  for now at least..   Maybe wait for the U.N report , and Obama's requested explanations, and get in another week's  summer vacation..
      but  they  WILL vote for some Sort of involvement ..  this is the U.S. Congress we're talking about.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 31 August 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

I personally think congress will vote not to get involved.

That's a pretty good bet given that the likes of Dennis Kusinich and  Ted Cruz agree on not doing anything.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,398 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

It largely will depend on whether Obama puts some political pressure on or continues playing golf.

#11    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,971 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

I would really be surprised if congress backs him on this.  Anything is possible but for congress to say yes when most of their voters are screaming NO! isn't likely, imo.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

View Postand then, on 01 September 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

I would really be surprised if congress backs him on this.  Anything is possible but for congress to say yes when most of their voters are screaming NO! isn't likely, imo.

Then Obama would have clearly demonstrated what he set out to prove two years ago: Congress is incapable of acting, even then when crimes against humanity are committed right in front of their eyes.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#13    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,915 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 September 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Then Obama would have clearly demonstrated what he set out to prove two years ago: Congress is incapable of acting, even then when crimes against humanity are committed right in front of their eyes.

It isnt necessarily congress's job to act. In fact with the will of the people being clear as day, its clearly thier job to restrain.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#14    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 31 August 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

didn't you hear ? the government says syrian rebels been smuggling sarin gas in coke bottles :D
just when you think you heard it all .. our government gives you one more joke to laugh at
sarin gas in coke bottles which has :D

or even better .. syrian government claim they found sarin barrels with " made in saudia " on them in possession of rebels
imagin you're saudia .. you want to send sarin to armed groups .. you write on it " MADE IN SAUDIA !
sometimes i think this government is sooooo stupid
other times i think that the government think .. people are soooo stupid

but heck .. some people believe them .. woe to human intelligence

Edited by Knight Of Shadows, 01 September 2013 - 12:30 PM.

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#15    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

View Postlightly, on 01 September 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

They may vote to not do anything militarily ..  for now at least..   Maybe wait for the U.N report , and Obama's requested explanations, and get in another week's  summer vacation..
  but  they  WILL vote for some Sort of involvement ..  this is the U.S. Congress we're talking about.
the UN report will say : chemical were used .. or not used
but it won't say " who used it " .. so that's a bummer and that was russia and syrian government condition
before they allow the inspectors in .. is that they only decide weather it was used or not .. not who used it

obama is not relying on that .. obama and usa intelligence got evidences
this evidence include : sattlite survillnace of where the missiles were launched " area under government control "
who launched it : troops of government more exact " the 4th squads in government military " stationed on " Qasuin Mountain "

to add to that .. USA intelligence also have evidence of phone calls between syrian governement  army and generals
whom responsble to chemcial weapons prior to the attack and orders of attack

those are the facts obama is relying on .. not UN inspectors .. coz they're worthless and their existence is like their absenth
everyone already know chemcial were used .. they should inspect WHO used them .. but russia don't want to
that tells alot

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users