Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need Some Help With An Odd Pic

nowsheflies

Hey everyone, I noticed something slightly odd in a picture I took today and I'd like some help with it. I tried to lighten it a little bit but I don't have very good photo editing software so it didn't help much. I was wondering if some of the photo experts on here could maybe mess around with it? Now I am NOT saying there's anything paranormal in this picture, just something that stood out to me. The picture itself is over 1MB in size, so before I post it I was wondering to what size I should re-size it so it would fit on here?

Oh yeah, edited to add that the reason I put this in the Ghost, Hauntings, and The Paranormal section is because I thought most of the picture experts would notice it here.

Edited by nowsheflies

Hmm, it says that the file is too be to upload.

Edited by nowsheflies

Okay, what the odd part is, is that there appears to be something to the right near the bottom, near one of the white poles. I ended up having to re-size it by about half but I can send out the full size one if anyone wants it.

post-76341-0-34107600-1350359605_thumb.j

Who's the person standing at the back?

Do you mean toward the bottom on the right? The slight er, shape or something?

The little blob at the bottom near the white pole would most likely be dust that is being superlit by your camera's flash and in the correct focal plane that the camera's optics picked up on it. In essence the technical reality of all "orb" pics. Take it from a photographer who has had many, many shots ruined by photographic garbage like this.

I assumed it was something like that. It was just when I did manage to lighten it a bit and zoom a little closer, it looked almost human shaped, almost like someone or something with wings!

I assumed it was something like that. It was just when I did manage to lighten it a bit and zoom a little closer, it looked almost human shaped, almost like someone or something with wings!

That's called pareidolia - the natural tendency of our brains to organize sensory information into patterns we recognize. The same concept as seeing cotton ball animals in clouds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

https://www.google.com/search?q=pareidolia&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=t9K&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-uh8UMbAH6ig2QWVzYCICw&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=705

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I know what pareidolia is. I just thought it was an interesting shape, even if it's dust. I thought maybe lightening it or something would make it clearer to make is look less like some winged-thing. The picture's a bit fuzzy anyway because it was so dark in there and the flash had to light up the whole, big room.

Oh yeah, I know what pareidolia is. I just thought it was an interesting shape, even if it's dust. I thought maybe lightening it or something would make it clearer to make is look less like some winged-thing. The picture's a bit fuzzy anyway because it was so dark in there and the flash had to light up the whole, big room.

Right on. Just trying to be helpful with my photographic knowledge. It is a cool pic though. Too bad you couldn't have pushed the exposure settings a bit further to resolve a bit more detail from the background. You would have ended up with a lot of graininess...even more then is present, but you could have post-processed it into a B&W photo and the graininess would have looked nice. Nice shot. Whatever it is!

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies if I seemed grumpy in my previous post, I really am appreciative of all opinions! The picture is of the auditorium of a closed/run down theater that was being turned into a haunted house (hence the skeleton hanging out in the foreground) to help raise money to get the theater renovated and re-opened. I'm now pretty sure that the 'figure' in the picture is a set of stains on the door that combined with the graininess (the room was almost pitch-black and my camera is not so great) vaguely looked like a human form. Although this theater is supposed to be haunted I've spent a lot of time in it alone and not much of anything has ever happened, so I may have been a little too quick to post the picture.

Here's what you get if you zoom in and ramp up the contrast and brightness. There is a vaguely human shape there and it even looks like it's carrying a lamp in its hand.

But you the JPEG artefacting is horrible. JPEG compression works by dividing an image into 8x8 squares and altering the image data in order to allow the image to be mathematically compressed better - the blocks are very obvious in the 'enhanced' image I posted below. It works fine in this instance because the area is so dark that you can't notice and at high quality JPEG compression is usually quite subtle. But when you increase the brightness and contrast it like I did here, it artificially makes it very very obvious and awful looking. So all you can really say is that that area has been heavily altered by the JPEG compression algorithm in a way that you can't notice in the original image but means you can't rely on it to accurately let you know what, if anything, you're looking at. Could be just patterns of light and shadow or of wood texture that vaguely looks human shaped after being compressed.

ghostna.png

SKELETON RUN!

But seriously I don't see anything, sorry.

Looks to me kinda like scooby doo in an ephemeral dress haha.

I can`t see anything, but the skeleton just waved at me.

I certainly hope not... I had it down as some devious trick of the pixels... now I may have to consider that the skeleton waved at me too :(

I see dead people!