Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

LENT - What are you giving up?

BiffSplitkins

For those who observe Lent, I was wondering if anyone wanted to share what they are giving up.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Robbie333

• BiffSplitkins

• Neognosis

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who observe Lent, I was wondering if anyone wanted to share what they are giving up.

Reading your posts ......ha ha only joking.. You know I love ya Biff.. and besides you make me laugh many times...tongue.gif

I don't bother with lent any more.. I haven't done for many years to be honest.....Same with New years resolutions... I say I am giving something up... work on it for so long and I wind up going back on it again anyway ...I have no staying power lol

I used to take lent very seriously.. We used to give up candy/ chocolates and fizzy drinks for lent.. What we did was each time we got any candy or treats bought for us, we put them all into this big container and locked it up... Come the end of lent, we would see who had the most saved up.......We also had to attend mass service every week night too... sigh ... lol

But now days I never bother with it.... I should do it to encourage my daughter, to get her to give up eating too much junk candy and so on... She eats too much ...I could get her to do what used to do? I dunno

All junk food, including fast food.

I'll be eating only non-processed food for the next 40 days.

I think it would be good for me to keep away from alcohol.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing for lent. It would probably do my liver some good. :tu:

Reading your posts ......ha ha only joking.. You know I love ya Biff.. and besides you make me laugh many times...tongue.gif

I don't bother with lent any more.. I haven't done for many years to be honest.....Same with New years resolutions...

I've actually stuck to my New Year's resolution quite well so far. When money would get tight I'd roll a little bit out of the Christmas Club in my bank to cover bills. This year I told my wife we are not touching that money at all. So far so good.

Ouch, that would be a tough one for me. Good luck with that.

Ouch, that would be a tough one for me. Good luck with that.

Thank you.

I have done this every year for the past 19 years. The resulting weight loss before summer is a great benefit too.

I just left Mass and I will give up all food until four o'clock. I will only drink coffee and such. I do not like fish at all but for all of the next Fridays I will eat seafood. Ash Wednsday and the next forty days gives me time to contemplate how I can become closer to God and be a better person toward my fellow humans and animals. This is a very special time for me.

I don't bother with lent any more.. I haven't done for many years to be honest.....Same with New years resolutions... I say I am giving something up... work on it for so long and I wind up going back on it again anyway ...I have no staying power lol

I used to take lent very seriously.. We used to give up candy/ chocolates and fizzy drinks for lent.. What we did was each time we got any candy or treats bought for us, we put them all into this big container and locked it up... Come the end of lent, we would see who had the most saved up.......We also had to attend mass service every week night too... sigh ... lol

But now days I never bother with it.... I should do it to encourage my daughter, to get her to give up eating too much junk candy and so on... She eats too much ...I could get her to do what used to do? I dunno

The religious part is you and your daughters business BM. I don't bang the table, as you know. Allow me to say this since you are a friend in here and just give you something to think about. Maybe now is a good time to teach teach your daughter to eat more healthy. That indeed cannot be a bad thing. Our kids eat way too much junk and fast food. Goodness knows I am guilty as the rest but aiming your daughter to eat more healthy while she is young could start a trend you instill in her. Have a good one.

Wonderful to see all the Christian devotion in this thread. I don't celebrate Lent but your passion almost makes me want to.

It is a good time to contemplate and regroup my friend.

Wow, you eat nothing but fresh produce for a month? That's quite admirable!! :tu:

It is a good time to contemplate and regroup my friend.

I never celebrated Lent. But one year I decided to give up lolipops. Interestingly my parents used to be good friends with Telly Savalas and they nick named me Kojak because I was always sucking on a lolipop. When I would write my papers for school it got to the point that I didn't even pay attention. As I was typing I'd be drooling and not even notice. Really sad in a way. So that year during Lent, when so many friends, were giving things up. I thought. Why not? So I thought it'd be no big deal. But I hadn't realized how used to them I had gotten. I really could not type my papers without them, I was so used to having something in my mouth. Pressing up against it with my tongue. So I had to move on to butterscotches and candies or I would not have gotten anything done. I thought " how can I be addicted to having something in my mouth?" My brother pointed out that is like the oral fixation that smokers have. So I guess. I am not too strange. But I always wonder if it is really hard for you all to do Lent. I'm too chicken now.

I never celebrated Lent. But one year I decided to give up lolipops. Interestingly my parents used to be good friends with Telly Savalas and they nick named me Kojak because I was always sucking on a lolipop. When I would write my papers for school it got to the point that I didn't even pay attention. As I was typing I'd be drooling and not even notice. Really sad in a way. So that year during Lent, when so many friends, were giving things up. I thought. Why not? So I thought it'd be no big deal. But I hadn't realized how used to them I had gotten. I really could not type my papers without them, I was so used to having something in my mouth. Pressing up against it with my tongue. So I had to move on to butterscotches and candies or I would not have gotten anything done. I thought " how can I be addicted to having something in my mouth?" My brother pointed out that is like the oral fixation that smokers have. So I guess. I am not too strange. But I always wonder if it is really hard for you all to do Lent. I'm too chicken now.

LOL, Its funny you spoke of this. I have a new addiction I found at our locale Dollar Store last week. Coffee candy with a shot of Expresso inside. My name is Robbie and I need them, LOL. Giving up food or anything you really like for lent keeps me focused on the task at hand. Contemplating and being a better human.

Wow, you eat nothing but fresh produce for a month? That's quite admirable!!

I also eat meat, but meat as unprocessed as possible. ex: chicken cutlets instead of chicken nuggets.

I also eat meat, but meat as unprocessed as possible. ex: chicken cutlets instead of chicken nuggets.

Still, that's great! I find it amazing sometimes the stuff people give up for lent.

Smoking.

edit: not that I smoke, so it should be easy.

Edited by Rlyeh

The religious part is you and your daughters business BM. I don't bang the table, as you know. Allow me to say this since you are a friend in here and just give you something to think about. Maybe now is a good time to teach teach your daughter to eat more healthy. That indeed cannot be a bad thing. Our kids eat way too much junk and fast food. Goodness knows I am guilty as the rest but aiming your daughter to eat more healthy while she is young could start a trend you instill in her. Have a good one.

Don't get me wrong, Becky will eat decent food, meat, potatoes, some veg, fruit and would prefer to drink more milk, water and fruit juices than fizzy drinks... My problem is her dad with his sweet tooth being too soft and giving in ..Her grandparents and other outsiders all buying her sweets....I even had to tell my dad off a few times.. I swear to goodness it is like talking to a brick wall ...When I give off, the grandparents will say - Awww let her have it, she is just a child...They are too soft with her.......My dad would try and make me feel like some ogre ...Yet he forgets when I was just a kid he limited out sweet when he felt like it.. But when they have grandchildren they all think Great second chances spoil them rotten.. Gary's parents are the exact same........I do not mind the odd bar now and again but too much is what I do not like..

I am lucky she will eat a decent lunch and dinner.( because it is me that makes it) . loves her chicken, meat, potatoes and some veg.. She will even eat fruit with her pack lunches at school and no sweet things rarely at all..

Her breakfast is what I had a big problem with Robbie... Her dad was guilty ..he would have gotten up before me, to get Becky a bowl of chocolate cereal or toast with chocolate spread on it... When I came down and saw it, I was not a happy bunny, ohh not a bit... I banned Gary from ever bringing that into the home...He tried to sneak a box of chocolate cereal hid them way at the top back of the larder cupboard... I found them...and had to give off about it...disgust.gif He promises no more.. We will see wont we? He is too soft...he gives in to Becky faster than I will..

She is a skinny wee thing all the same...she can eat and eat and never put on a pound...but her teeth is my worry.. and not eating right ...

Ohh look at that I had me a bit of a vent lol tongue.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

One time during my rebellious teen years my mother asked me what I would be giving up for Lent.

I told her "Church." She got really mad at me. :lol:

He tried to sneak a box of chocolate cereal hid them way at the top back of the larder cupboard... He is too soft...he gives in to Becky faster than I will..

Sounds like Gary is Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. :D

One time during my rebellious teen years my mother asked me what I would be giving up for Lent.

Someone asked me the same question here at work today. I told them "Praying". LOL they were not amused. <_<

Sounds like Gary is Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. :D

Not so much the coco puffs, if it were it wouldn't be half as bad.

It is more like these --> http://www.kelloggs....late_krave.aspx

IMO a poor excuse for a cereal.. pure chocolate in the enter of them... I have them banned from my house !! I have to play the bad cop at times sigh.

Not to forget the jars of chocolate spread he sneaked on to her toast .... I think some fathers can be a bit too soft with their little kids lol tongue.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

laugh.gifHa ha I tried that once too.. She said OK just for that.. There is mass service every week night during lent and you will be attending..

That shut me up dontgetit.gif

I am not going to date a supermodel at all during Lent.

Interested in sharing any unused phone numbers? :w00t: