Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Etch A Sketch creator Andre Cassagnes dies

BiffSplitkins

While tinkering in his garage, French electrician Andre Cassagnes dreamed up a drawing toy that kids could shake up and start over.

Little did he know that more than 50 years later, the toy that became the Etch A Sketch would continue to delight children.

Cassagnes died January 16 in a Paris suburb at age 86, according to a statement released Saturday by The Ohio Art Company. His cause of his death was not disclosed.

Cassagnes created what would become the Etch A Sketch in his garage in 1950. The drawing toy was made up of a joystick, glass and aluminum powder.

Initially dubbed the Telecran, the toy was renamed L'Ecran Magique, or 'The Magic Screen,' and made its debut at a toy fair in Nuremberg, Germany, in 1959.

READ MORE

Wow... I thought the Etch-a-Sketch was older than I am... But it's 6 years younger! (lord I feel old!)...

RIP Messeur Cassagnes... Millions of kids the world over have enjoyed your clever invention for the past 54 years (so have I)... in fact I have a tiny 3" screen version on my desk at work... I call it my palm-top computer...

• Like 1