Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mainstream 'science' make us look stupid!

archangel_josh

Hi guys,

I just wanted to have a rant about mainstream 'science' and the science community, who are really just a bunch of primitive egotists who think that they've discovered all that there is to discover and know about the world.

The reason why I wanted to talk about it is because this mainstream 'science' is making people like ourselves look stupid because we can't 'scientifically' back up what we believe (whatever our beliefs be eg. that Atlantis existed, that primitives had access to advanced technology, that aliens created us etc).

Mainstream science has concluded that evolution is fact and that's the end of the arguement. We even teach it in schools!

Mainstream science has concluded that we are the cause behind global warming.

Mainstream science says that the universe is 'this far across' and 'this far wide' and that it can be measured.

Are these really true? As we know back in the day....

Mainstream science concluded that the world was flat.

Mainstream science said the universe revolves around Earth.

Mainstream science said God lived on a cloud.

Mainstream science said that cloning was impossible.

Mainstream science said that the speed of light was a constant that couldn't ever be broken.

What I'm saying is that science is always changing, new discoveries are being found and sometimes huge revolutions happen where all of the old books are thrown out and rewritten.

There are scientists out there who are challenging the idiotic ideas of mainstream science....

Global warming IS NOT caused by humanity - check out 'The Great Global Warming Swindle' to counter all the lies you've seen in 'An Inconveiniant Truth'.

Evolution is NOT a fact - it is a theory. There are many theories out there, and I support 'Intelligent Design' theory, where we were created by advanced people.

The universe cannot be measured it is infinite - see the theories of Cambridge University mathematical physicist Neil Turok.

There are people out there who don't care about the blind mainstream - people who have discovered the truth and are loudly proclaiming it, instead of worrying about getting 'grants' from simple minded idiots who peddle this false scientific dogma about - check out Bruce Lipton and Craig Venter.

Cloning is an everyday reality.

The speed of light can be sped up and slowed down.

Soon we will make discoveries that will change everything we ever thought about the universe - but will people listen? Not likely!

-Josh

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archangel_josh

• Cradle of Fish

• Stellar

• Emma_Acid

Actually, in my experience that's not true. Most people I know who subscribe to 'mainstream science' do so because it's the best explanation that's currently out there...that doesn't mean they're not open to alternative explanations, as long as they have equal or better evidence to support them.

I think all that little rant did was prove you're unfamiliar with exactly what science is and how it works, and appear just to define science as merely the counterposition to all the things you like to believe. Still, if demonizing it makes you feel better and smarter, then by all means, do so. Bet you've got a similar one about History in the works, too, since it doesn't jive with your Raelian stance.

But for all that, you still (clearly) use the computer built up from precepts given to us by that nasty-bad science. Sort takes the sting out of your attack.

--Jaylemurph

"Mainstream 'science' make us look stupid!"

No, bad grammar make you look stupid. ;)

Before commenting on everything else, I want to comment on this:

Oh yeah? Where? When? What?

Evolution is a fact! We're smart monkeys, called humans! Instead of mastering the trees, we master intelligence!

Anyone that disagrees is a Non-believer and therefore shall be put to death in the name of Science!!!

Edited by Cr33p

Hi guys,

I just wanted to have a rant about mainstream 'science' and the science community, who are really just a bunch of primitive egotists who think that they've discovered all that there is to discover and know about the world.

The reason why I wanted to talk about it is because this mainstream 'science' is making people like ourselves look stupid because we can't 'scientifically' back up what we believe (whatever our beliefs be eg. that Atlantis existed, that primitives had access to advanced technology, that aliens created us etc).

Mainstream science has concluded that evolution is fact and that's the end of the arguement. We even teach it in schools!

Because the evidence supporting the tested theory is well recieved amonst all the scientific community and those who use common sense.

The scientific community is still split on this. Unfortunatly it has become political and not so scientific anymore. And now there are study's showing that the earth is starting a cooling trend.

Mainstream science says that the universe is 'this far across' and 'this far wide' and that it can be measured.

Oh I'd love to see where you got this from, since the universe is not constant is ever expanding and increasing in speed, how can one measure it? We have a notion on how far away we can expect to see the birth of the first stars, but its not something that is an absolute and can be determined.

This is an old wives tale, almost all that were educated were aware that the earth was most likely a sphere from just looking at the curvature of the horizon. The unknown was what was beyond the horizon.

again wrong, it was the catholic church that insisted that the earth was the center and even when proven wrong, they refused to let the truth out for a long time.

Again I would love to see this citing. This is just stupid to even claim.

Mainstream science said that the speed of light was a constant that couldn't ever be broken.

It can't be broken with anything that contains mass, if it did, then that object would become infinate mass, which would become the universe. There are ways around this that are purely hypothetical, but that speed is a constant that can not be overcome in standard acceleration in space.

What I'm saying is that science is always changing, new discoveries are being found and sometimes huge revolutions happen where all of the old books are thrown out and rewritten.

Absolutely true, it wouldn't be science if it wasn't.

There are scientists out there who are challenging the idiotic ideas of mainstream science....

There are those out there that are trying to change the way people think about certain ideals or theory's or proven laws of the universe. But in order for them to be taken seriously, they need to have serious evidence, data and scientific observances in order to gain the interest of the scientific community.

Global warming IS NOT caused by humanity - check out 'The Great Global Warming Swindle' to counter all the lies you've seen in 'An Inconveiniant Truth'.

Evolution is NOT a fact - it is a theory. There are many theories out there, and I support 'Intelligent Design' theory, where we were created by advanced people.

The universe cannot be measured it is infinite - see the theories of Cambridge University mathematical physicist Neil Turok.

There are people out there who don't care about the blind mainstream - people who have discovered the truth and are loudly proclaiming it, instead of worrying about getting 'grants' from simple minded idiots who peddle this false scientific dogma about - check out Bruce Lipton and Craig Venter.

This is a misquote if I've ever seen one. The speed of light can not be sped up and slowed down, but a photon can be sped up and slowed down. VERY big differance.

Soon we will make discoveries that will change everything we ever thought about the universe - but will people listen? Not likely!

and the words of despitism, soon. What, how why, when, where. Are you referring to psuedo-science of making claims, or saying that they created theory's when they have not even gathered evidence to support such theories?

Get some substance before ranting nonsense on stuff that you only have half-truths about.

And you don't need the help of the scientific community to make your points look stupid, spewing nonsense does it for itself.

Edited by Tommyo

Stellar i believe he is correct

Using a technique called Stimulated Brillouin Scattering, the researchers were able to slow down or ratchet up the speed of light like the gas pedal on a car. They succeeded in reducing the speed of light by almost a factor of 4 (although that's still plenty fast at 46,500 miles per second), but even more dramatically, the team was also able to speed up the speed of light.
complete article at livescience.com - Scientists Slow down and Speed Up Light

Josh,

Dont be a nerd to hold on to the 'earth was flat and now earth is round' thingy.

Our astronauts and satellties have of course been out there in space and have looked back at earth. They didnt see it in the sape of a 'donut' or a 'ie-cream sundae' but in a spherical shape!!

Science is evolving. But basic models of science will be still there.

No scientists say that the model is final. They are still researching, discovering, learning new things. It is us the laymen who stupidly lay an ultimatum on science.

Ok, Einstein said that there can be nothing faster than the speed of light. If he were alive, if he had seen the dicsvoery of the scientists of today, he would admit his mistake and try to lean more.

What does the fundamentalists do. they wont budge.

Evolution is a fact! We're smart monkeys, called humans! Instead of mastering the trees, we master intelligence!

Anyone that disagrees is a Non-believer and therefore shall be put to death in the name of Science!!!

Instead of death how about a dunce hat? Don't like dumb people dying, cause I love watching my Jerry Springer!!

Things can be a Fact and a Theory you know. Fact: Evolution occurs and has done so for billions of years, Theory: how it works. Intelligent design is purely bad science.

We probably are. It's best to act on it as if we are responsible for it rather than act as if we aren't. If you're going to take your information from a smear film, well go ahead but the Inconvenient Truth didn't invent global warming, and you'll have to also disprove the work of countless scientists.

It cant be measured exactly, but you can estimate the width. We know it's very big from what we've seen through Hubble and our other telescopes. The universe can't be infinite. The Big Bang is the widely accepted theory on how the universe formed, and it says that the universe is finite but constantly expanding. As far as I know there's no observations made yet that disagree with the theory.

Eratosthenes discovered that the world was round and might have correctly estimated its circumference back in the first century BC. Since modern science has inherited alot from the ancient greeks

When the telescope came around that idea was quickly dismissed, but people like Copernicus had been thinking about it for a while.

The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant, but it slows down when it passes through certain things. A beam of light was successfully slowed to 17 meters a second using Superfluid, but that's just a single beam, the speed of light in a vacuum remains a constant.

If new discoveries are brought through reason and logic, why wouldn't people listen?

Here are some links showing that you could slow light.

Slow Light

Lene Hau

Anyway. I agree with the posters, maintstream science is one way to explain things.

..Mainstream science concluded that the world was flat.

Mainstream science said that cloning was impossible...

These are why "facts" are so important, If wrong scientific theories (even laws) can be corrected if confronted by a conflicting "fact"

like it or not science is the best way to find the truth ... if you are looking for the truth

No, you make you look stupid, by childishly ranting against what is actually some of mankinds greatest achievements because they ignore your unfounded, pseudo-sci fi beliefs.

And for god's sake, research and reference.

who think that they've discovered all that there is to discover and know about the world.

There has never been a scientist that has ever thought or said this, at least since the beginning of the 1900s. One of the strengths of modern sciences is that they have to be flexible to new discoveries. This the foundation of what a "theory" is.

Unless you want to back this up with a quote, you're just going to sound bitter and pathetically out of touch.

That isn't science's fault. Thats yours.

People are allowed to believe whatever they wish, and the blurring of the boundaries between faith and science is, I believe, a fatal mistake. Try to scientifically prove your faith, and you're absolving yourself of the need for faith in the first place.

If you believe something, fine. But unlike you, science does not have an agenda. Dont throw your toys out of the pram because there simply is no evidence for what you believe, and tons of evidence against it.

Evolution is both a theory and a fact, like gravity. The fact that somethign falls to the ground is a fact, just like the fact that changes in species are selected for their advantages over others, and become dominant. These are undeniable facts.

Our theory is what we use to explain it to the best of our current understanding. Evolution has changed unrecognisably since Darwin - he was wrong on a lot of counts.

And you're damn right we teach it in schools. Give me one reason why we should teach your beliefs? You don't even have a theory to explain the fact, let alone the fact on its own.

Nope, mainstream media has. Science is still very muich split, recognising that the earth has been through many phases like this in its history whem humans weren't around. It just seems to be happening quicker this time, and in line with industrial growth and population expansion. Coincidental, eh?

At a guess yes, down to some pretty complex maths and conclusions made from observations, something you guys know nothing about.

Science has never concluded this, and certainly not in modern times. This is an urban myth. Even Pythagoras knew this in 500BC. The idea that people thought the earth was flat was a popular myth from the 19th century and has no foundation.

Nope, religion said this. Aristotle believed this, and his theories were taken up by the Catholic church in the middle ages. There have been no modern scientists who have believed the earth to be at the centre of the universe.

No, again, this was religion.

So? In the year 1900, someone said that everything that could be invented, had been. People make mistakes, and science develops. But what you believe is so wildly at odds with everything we know about reality, we'd have to go back hundreds, maybe thousands of years to find a "scientfic" reference frame that satisfied you.

It can't, and since Einstein its never been claimed that it could be broken.

"Old books"? What the hell are you talking about? This hasn't happened since the advent of evolution, which, as it happens, was fundamentally correct. Unless you have any evidence to the contrary, and no, the wafflings of a derranged middle aged french man do not count as evidence.

Again, it is childish to say they are idiotic because they don't support your view. If your view was right, they would, and it really is as simple as that.

This may well be true. But again, toys, pram, etc.

As I have shown, it is both a fact and a theory. Unlike ID, which is not a theory, as it is not testable.

Again, this may be true, but it is not worth wetting yourself over.

Yawn.

"Everyday"???? Yep, and intelligent androids are simply pedestrian, dah-ling!!

This is an outright lie. Photons can be slowed down. The speed of light cannot be. The fact that you don't get this proves that you simply don't understand most of the stuff you claim to be campaigning against, which is pretty pathetic to be honest.

I don't know. You don't listen, do you?

Edited by Emma_Acid_88

Evolution is NOT a fact - it is a theory.

I think the theory is that evolution might actually be a hypothesis(?)...

I think the theory is that evolution might actually be a hypothesis(?)...

In scientific usage, a theory does not mean an unsubstantiated guess or hunch, as it can in everyday speech. A theory is a logically self-consistent model or framework for describing the behavior of a related set of natural or social phenomena. It originates from or is supported by experimental evidence (see scientific method). In this sense, a theory is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations, and is predictive, logical, and testable. In principle, scientific theories are always tentative, and subject to corrections or inclusion in a yet wider theory.

Ref.

Evolution is most definately a theory based on observable fact.

Edited by Emma_Acid_88

Ref.

Evolution is most definately a theory based on observable fact.

Glad you cleared that up Emma. Cause methinks the dude that defined the two in the Encarta® World English Dictionary, North American Edition musta been on drugs or something at the time...

hypothesis

theory

Actually i like the way Wiki clarifies it lol! ''It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition.''

''do not necessarily'' <-- kinda helps to cover all their bases i guess :lol:

Actually i like the way Wiki clarifies it lol! ''It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition.''

''do not necessarily'' <-- kinda helps to cover all their bases i guess :lol:

See my above comment on gravity. That it happens is a fact, but the reason why is a theory. Like *sigh* evolution.

Edited by Emma_Acid_88

Evolution can be, and has been, observed to happen. Right in front of your eyes. Of course, you have to look.

Science has reached no such conclusion on global warming. Al Gore has, though.

Science has never submitted any factual statement on the actual size of the universe. Just theories, which vary.

The size of the observable universe is probably what you once long ago heard something about and then proceeded to twist and warp in your own mind to fit your needs.

Can't get much stupider than to blame science for ideas that were proposed before science was even invented!

Got a citation on the cloning?

Science has never claimed that the speed of light is a constant. They have assumed it based on observations. This is the basis for the Special Theory of Relativity, which has never failed a single test. Never, ever to any measurable degree anyway - regardless of how many decimal spaces you wish to include.

Here's an example of a theory concerning Cosmology - the study of the Universe as a set.

Stellar i believe he is correct

complete article at livescience.com - Scientists Slow down and Speed Up Light

If you read the article - you'll see that they're talking about the phase velocity. This is different and has nothing to do with the constancy of the speed of light.

-Josh

Listen to who? You? Well, if that's what you mean, then you're right, "not likely."

Harte

Got them all going, good and proper there......... :lol: ....(with the exception of a couple of posters)

I think some 'scientific types' do try and make people look stupid....for exploring ideas

that aren't mainstream.........but I suspect that there is some very advanced scientific 'exploration'

being done behind firmly closed doors that would blow all of our minds. And is WAY beyond the

mainstream.

I hope you enjoyed your rant....I enjoyed the kerfuffle it generated.....

The speed of light can not be sped up and slowed down, but a photon can be sped up and slowed down. VERY big differance.

Photons are light. Photons can not be sped up or slowed down either though.

Da Vermin... to quote the article you linked me to:

"By tweaking the relationship between phase velocities, it's possible to adjust the group velocity and create the illusion that parts of the pulse are traveling faster than the speed of light."