Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is There A Decline?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,300 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:32 AM

Are present paranormal and speculative television programs inferior to those of the past? I caught some reruns of "In Search Of". It appealed to me more than many of today's "what was that noise?" shows. Are we saturated with inferior programs, or are today's series better than those of the past?

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#2    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Yeah ... the visuals might not be as flashy but the production were top notch ... and Leonard Nimoy and Peter Ustinov as hosts/narrator .... no comparison.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

In all programming to a degree. Law and Order shows are cancelled to put crap like top model ,the voice ,shark tank ,idol this,x factor that ,this nob has no talent ,yadda yadda yadda ,on .

Reality crap is like this cancer that will never go away now .
Late night,all infomercials ...hours of infomercials .
No more late night movies .

Regular shows with plots,gone .

I have no cable ,and we get some off shoot of reg stations,that show old shows .
I watch the bionic woman ,six million dollar man ,banacek ,Alfred Hitchcock presents ,married with children ,,monk during prime time tv hours ,most of the week .
When regular tv is a serious fail ,and most cable follows suit ,80% of the time ,time to find more interesting fare.
I watch Chinese shows on four stations here most days too .
Id rather watch something in mandarin ,that seems interesting ,than watch celebrity apprentice .
Seriously
All those cool in search of shows etc ,will never be seen again .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 11 May 2013 - 04:08 AM.

Miss me?

#4    Imperious

Imperious

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 11 May 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

In all programming to a degree. Law and Order shows are cancelled to put crap like top model ,the voice ,shark tank ,idol this,x factor that ,this nob has no talent ,yadda yadda yadda ,on .

I have no cable ,and we get some off shoot of reg stations,that show old shows .
I watch the bionic woman ,six million dollar man ,banacek ,Alfred Hitchcock presents ,married with children ,,monk during prime time tv hours ,most of the week .
When regular tv is a serious fail ,and most cable follows suit ,80% of the time ,time to find more interesting fare.
Id rather watch something in mandarin ,that seems interesting ,than watch celebrity apprentice .
Seriously

I think it will go away, everything goes through stages and fads, as I think television itself is dying.
Who knows, withing the next few years everyone may just be streaming movies and tv series directly from services like Netflix.

#5    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

on the hand ... "an idiot abroad" with Karl was pure genius , :lol:

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

#6    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,300 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 11 May 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

Yeah ... the visuals might not be as flashy but the production were top notch ... and Leonard Nimoy and Peter Ustinov as hosts/narrator .... no comparison.

There was a certain sense of seriousness to the older programs that's lacking in some of the newer ones. Leonard Nimoy came off as earnest and honest in his presentation, and he didn't need bells and whistles to do so. The shows were aired in an organized way too. One episode might have dealt with ESP while another one might have dealt with UFOs. The airwaves weren't saturated with paranormal and speculative series, either. Now, you have "Haunted Redneck Pawnshop Truckers Finding Bigfoot's Flying Saucer" on every other cable channel. It's a bit like how we've gone from "Star Trek" to the latest Syfy movie about giant mutant hungry insects/reptiles. So much for progress.

#7    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,300 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 11 May 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

Seriously

You're preaching to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on that one. We have basic cable. Like you say, the crappy lineup is constipated with infomercials and reality shows. I'm not a big fan of John McCain, but I love his idea of paying for just the channels that you want. We would make a huge space in our lineup if that bill ever passes! If you're not a fan of stuff like "Duck Dynasty" and "Pawn Stars", you're SOL. You also have to buy expensive packages to watch real history shows on THC. The original one has been taken over by reality shows, to a great extent.

#8    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,300 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostImperious, on 11 May 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

I think it will go away, everything goes through stages and fads, as I think television itself is dying.
Who knows, withing the next few years everyone may just be streaming movies and tv series directly from services like Netflix.

I buy and watch DVDs of shows that I missed when they first aired. Some of them were shown on premium services, like HBO. I just have to avoid spoilers. I'm almost finished with "Deadwood", which is a great series, but you hear less profanity at a Tourette's camp.

#9    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 12 May 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

There was a certain sense of seriousness to the older programs that's lacking in some of the newer ones. Leonard Nimoy came off as earnest and honest in his presentation, and he didn't need bells and whistles to do so. The shows were aired in an organized way too. One episode might have dealt with ESP while another one might have dealt with UFOs. The airwaves weren't saturated with paranormal and speculative series, either. Now, you have "Haunted Redneck Pawnshop Truckers Finding Bigfoot's Flying Saucer" on every other cable channel. It's a bit like how we've gone from "Star Trek" to the latest Syfy movie about giant mutant hungry insects/reptiles. So much for progress.

Well the kids that grew up responsible for making these TV 'hits' today just grew up in a different time and world ...

these days its mostly be mass market generated acceptance and you'll be 'it' .... faces in the television machine ...

remember a daily paper cartoon series that goes : to be famous " you just gotta be on TV ! "

so start pointing those cameras you gods of fame ... I say

:lol:

'

#10    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

"Reality" television is here to stay because it's cheaper to produce. Which made the whole writers strike a few years ago a joke. It's mostly reality television out there and what little regular programming there is is crap.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#11    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,300 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 12 May 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

Well the kids that grew up responsible for making these TV 'hits' today just grew up in a different time and world ...

these days its mostly be mass market generated acceptance and you'll be 'it' .... faces in the television machine ...

remember a daily paper cartoon series that goes : to be famous " you just gotta be on TV ! "

so start pointing those cameras you gods of fame ... I say

:lol:

The star-makers make the decisions on who will or won't get fame. That's been true for years, but it's more true now than ever. Style is placed over substance at a record-breaking level. Write a list of the most covered celebrities to confirm it.

#12    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,300 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:41 AM

View PostKasey2601, on 13 May 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

"Reality" television is here to stay because it's cheaper to produce. Which made the whole writers strike a few years ago a joke. It's mostly reality television out there and what little regular programming there is is crap.

You can find good series on some cable channels, although you have to pay more to get some of them. For instance, "Breaking Bad" and "Deadwood" (long gone) are/were better than most broadcast network programs, especially the here today-gone tonight sitcoms. There also are many ways to bypass reality programs.

#13    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:50 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 14 May 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

The star-makers make the decisions on who will or won't get fame. That's been true for years, but it's more true now than ever. Style is placed over substance at a record-breaking level. Write a list of the most covered celebrities to confirm it.

I'll start with the first nominee :

Lindsey Lohan

'

#14    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

luckily for me I don't watch tv, but everything's s**te since arthur c clarke died anyway.....

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bth due to your lack of understanding.

#15    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

I hear ya. I have been watching re runs on Weird or what lately, and it is so much better than the stuff we have on currently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users