Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

Nurse who put Aussie prank call thru,dead

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#151    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,223 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:50 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 07 December 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

In the USA ,what the nurses did is violation of HIPA laws.
Huge fines ,and loss of your professional license is what can happen to you here,but I think our authorities would have held the DJs responsible ,for the initial crime,but the nurses would have been held accountable in some way.

How did the USA authorities handle the DJ's that killed that young Mum with water in that Hold Your Wee for a Wii contest?

IMHO, that was a far worse scenario.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#152    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,223 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 08 December 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

This is exactly what has been bothering me all day too BM.  The stance of the hospital that the nurse had their full support and that they didn't blame her is completely disengenuous - why would she feel so depressed about something she was being positively supported in dealing with?  I call BS from the Hospital Admin on this, she must have had to deal with something more than being told she had inadvertantly transferred a hoax call to the nurse on duty in Kate's ward?  Seriously, since when is transferring a call enough on it's own to make someone feel suicidal?

The prank was messed up but hardly serious, what was serious was the nurse giving all those details over the phone to said Queen - not the nurse's fault because she had no way of knowing if it was kosher to tell the Queen of England "I'm sorry that is private information and due to patient confidentiality blah, blah", yes that nurse was placed in an awkward position by fraudsters, yet she did not commit suicide.  It seems that the finger was pointed at the receptionist for putting the call through and likely announcing that it was the Queen on the line, there is no way they stood behind her when it all blew up by what happened next, I just can't see them patting her on the back and saying "it's ok, it's not your fault", I too have known way to many management types who a name and head to roll so they can cast aside blame from themselves for poor procedues etc.

As you say, we can't know for sure but like I said it's been niggling at me and I smell a rat outside of them two DJ's in this.

It is pretty hard to understand I agree, I would think the person who would be seriously reprimanded would be the nurse who actually gave out all the details, not one who transferred the call. Many questions abound. Did the Nurse who gave out the details pass the buck in Administration?

I feel for the DJ's. I know a lot of people will get upset about that, but deal with it. How many people here have done something stupid? Imagine if we could see an honest show of hands. Is it something that should cost you everything that you have strived for your entire life? The DJs that did the Wee for a Wii, Kyle Sandilands - need I go beyond him? They set a benchmark. Remember that business with the underage raped girl? We see much worse than this, and prank calls can be entertaining too. Nobody was upset when DJ's called Sarah Pallin pretending the be the French President. These two young people made a bad call. Now they have to start their lives over again. They have received death threats!!!!

Can you imagine? Because some people blame their prank, they think that is punishable by death! Now that is screwed up.These guys made a bad call, now they have very little, they will be a political hot potato. And the only thing linking them to the death is assumption.

I do not think people understand how it affected everyone. I just cannot imagine those two when they received the news. It would be like being struck by lightning. They are both devastated as anyone can see. They have pulled of pranks in the past, that amount to little more than annoyance, they do not seem to be nasty people who want to hurt someone. I am not even sure how they are being made out to be entirely responsible. We have a tragedy, and yes, that is horrible, but I think the DJ's are just a knee jerk reaction wanting someone to pay. I am terribly sorry for the Nurse, and her family, and wish this had not happened, but I do not think this stupid stunt should cost three lives.
I cannot see either of the pair attempting anything so bold ever again.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#153    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,344 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

View PostRamblingRebel, on 11 December 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

So where does that leave the lawyers who said it was OK to air this?

In hiding buttering up an excuse.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#154    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,702 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 12 December 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

It is pretty hard to understand I agree, I would think the person who would be seriously reprimanded would be the nurse who actually gave out all the details, not one who transferred the call. Many questions abound. Did the Nurse who gave out the details pass the buck in Administration?

I feel for the DJ's. I know a lot of people will get upset about that, but deal with it. How many people here have done something stupid? Imagine if we could see an honest show of hands. Is it something that should cost you everything that you have strived for your entire life? The DJs that did the Wee for a Wii, Kyle Sandilands - need I go beyond him? They set a benchmark. Remember that business with the underage raped girl? We see much worse than this, and prank calls can be entertaining too. Nobody was upset when DJ's called Sarah Pallin pretending the be the French President. These two young people made a bad call. Now they have to start their lives over again. They have received death threats!!!!

Can you imagine? Because some people blame their prank, they think that is punishable by death! Now that is screwed up.These guys made a bad call, now they have very little, they will be a political hot potato. And the only thing linking them to the death is assumption.

I do not think people understand how it affected everyone. I just cannot imagine those two when they received the news. It would be like being struck by lightning. They are both devastated as anyone can see. They have pulled of pranks in the past, that amount to little more than annoyance, they do not seem to be nasty people who want to hurt someone. I am not even sure how they are being made out to be entirely responsible. We have a tragedy, and yes, that is horrible, but I think the DJ's are just a knee jerk reaction wanting someone to pay. I am terribly sorry for the Nurse, and her family, and wish this had not happened, but I do not think this stupid stunt should cost three lives.
I've mentioned that same thing.  She gave out the information, did she assume since the call was forwarded that the person forwarding it had verified it was the Queen? Personally, I think their higher ups threw them under the bus.  Permission wasn't given by the hospital or the nurses because the radio station did not get through to the hospital ( kinda fishy there too).  The station had a press release saying they hadn't done anything wrong...passing the buck.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#155    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,195 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 12 December 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

That's pretty spot on - the potential is now that it could cost 3 lives.  As I have said somewhere earlier also - this would not have gone "viral" if the U.K. press had not taken an interest, it should have just been a local spot on a radio station.  Where are all the stations and news groups that made this such a huge deal?  Why was it so wrong for the DJs to pull the prank but not the rest of the world to play it over and over again making it an international event?

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#156    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 11 December 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Between the administration of the hospital and the higher authorities of the radio station...it's like they are passing blame back and forth.  There is no way that I will believe that the administrators of the hospital weren't reading the riot act once this came out.

I call that passing the buck.. Many cowardly people like to play that game

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#157    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 12 December 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

How did the USA authorities handle the DJ's that killed that young Mum with water in that Hold Your Wee for a Wii contest?

I didn't know about that.. I read your post and it shocked me..  I looked up the story for myself, and it was really sad.. She was quotes saying she was doing it for her kids...sigh...It goes to show you, mothers would do anything for their kids .. Poor girl, so very sad

#158    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Considering its from years ago,I've never even heard of it,I assume you googled until you found some case of soommmeeething ,so best guess,you already know the answer.

It's also a completely different scenario ,which is much like the guy that ate cockroaches in a CONTEST ,and died .
Every contestant probably gave written legal release to be in the contest ,and I'm not even sure if it was broadcast ,but alll the contestants would know they were on the air .

Everyone sues when someone dies ,and I've never heard of water toxicity ,which means she had some pre existing idiosyncratic response .
But people do stupid things to win junk so ....

Miss me?

#159    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,702 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 12 December 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

Considering its from years ago,I've never even heard of it,I assume you googled until you found some case of soommmeeething ,so best guess,you already know the answer.

It's also a completely different scenario ,which is much like the guy that ate cockroaches in a CONTEST ,and died .
Every contestant probably gave written legal release to be in the contest ,and I'm not even sure if it was broadcast ,but alll the contestants would know they were on the air .

Everyone sues when someone dies ,and I've never heard of water toxicity ,which means she had some pre existing idiosyncratic response .
But people do stupid things to win junk so ....
No, no pre-existing idiosyncratic response there.  It is a matter of the body not being able to flush the toxins out.  We learned this in biology in highschhol here in BC.  Also, a nurse called into the show to warn them that it was dangerous and someone could severly sick or die.  So, yeah, they were liable.

#160    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 12 December 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

He could well of googled it.. I had to google it to find it, I too had never heard of that story before..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 12 December 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#161    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,702 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 December 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

He could well of googled it.. I had to google it to find it, I too had never heard of that story before..
I'm pretty sure it was a thread here on UM.

#162    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 12 December 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure it was a thread here on UM.

I honestly had never heard of that story before, so it must be pretty old ..well old enough

#163    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,702 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 December 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

I honestly had never heard of that story before, so it must be pretty old ..well old enough
I searched and there were two threads in 2007.  I didn't think it was that long ago....I'm getting old. Lol

#164    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,366 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Is this it?
http://www.unexplain...e  contest&st=0

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/6261509.stm

Posted Image

#165    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,366 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

"Nurse at Duchess of Cambridge's hospital was found hanged"

http://www.telegraph...und-hanged.html

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users