Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Friday night was far from the first nervous one for residents of Fair Lawn, New Jersey, who have been plagued by loud booming sounds for about a week.

As CBS2's Dave Carlin reported, the source of the nuisance is a mystery.

"We were, like, looking at each other like, What was that?" said Danielle McManus.

It happened twice in the past week to McManus and her family. While inside their home in a usually very quiet Fair Lawn neighborhood, things went bump in the night.

http://newyork.cbslo...-j-loud-noises/

• Like 1

The article suggests that some people are more likely to be correct about the source of the sound. Why is the mayor more likely to be correct than others?

When I hear a loud sound I instinctively point in the direction I think it comes from to get a bearing as to the source. Have been able to point out several lightening strikes correctly including one that hit a house in the area.

The difficulties in getting a correct direction is illustrated by this story in which there is great confusion about the source. I'll bet it is the nearby construction and that the confusion about the source applies to those living closer as well as those living farther away. Echos can follow or bounce off of air layers, buildings, water surfaces, etc. to mislead people about the source.

• Like 4

The B :rofl: :rolleyes:MS are easily explained: Exploding weather balloons!

• Like 1

Huh. Sure seems to have attracted, at least momentarily, interest from local authorities.

Wonder if "interest" will extend long enough to find the source(s).

Possibly sonic booms from aircraft. Even though the FAA banned sonic booms in 1973 prohibiting aircraft exceeding Mach 1

over the US, They still do occasionally happen.

• Like 1

The article suggests that some people are more likely to be correct about the source of the sound. Why is the mayor more likely to be correct than others?

When I hear a loud sound I instinctively point in the direction I think it comes from to get a bearing as to the source. Have been able to point out several lightening strikes correctly including one that hit a house in the area.

The difficulties in getting a correct direction is illustrated by this story in which there is great confusion about the source. I'll bet it is the nearby construction and that the confusion about the source applies to those living closer as well as those living farther away. Echos can follow or bounce off of air layers, buildings, water surfaces, etc. to mislead people about the source.

The mayor said "I’ve had everything from people telling me about fireworks to aliens" and didn't really disagree with anyone in the story. It was a person close to the purported source of the PG&E plant that said it was not coming from there. The Police Chief seems to think it was a series of blown transformers from the plant, but the mayor reached out to the company and they said no.

Hopefully a simple solution can be found soon so another mystery boom can be crossed off the list.

The mayor said "I’ve had everything from people telling me about fireworks to aliens" and didn't really disagree with anyone in the story. It was a person close to the purported source of the PG&E plant that said it was not coming from there. The Police Chief seems to think it was a series of blown transformers from the plant, but the mayor reached out to the company and they said no.

Hopefully a simple solution can be found soon so another mystery boom can be crossed off the list.

What fun would that be?

These were sonic booms. It happens. Welcome to the modern world, where aircraft can fly faster than the speed of sound.

Possibly sonic booms from aircraft. Even though the FAA banned sonic booms in 1973 prohibiting aircraft exceeding Mach 1

over the US, They still do occasionally happen.

Yeah I used to hear them on occasion when I lived near Terre Haute, while the National Guard Base was still in operation there.

Sonic booms? Did you not read the article and watch the videos where people explained the noises they heard? I'd love to hear the evidence for this guess. These noises were fairly localized, but every explanation has been shot down (no pun intended) by the police chief or the mayor. I would call the mayor to tell him that this mystery was solved on the Unexplained Mysteries message board, but they are currently dealing with a bomb threat situation in one of their local schools. I get a hold of him after lunch.

What fun would that be?

It wouldn't necessarily be fun, but this story is beginning to generate alien occupation rumors and I recently read someone said the military or national guard were just dispatched to the area because of the stories. All of this is not true as police patrols were beefed up, but there is no military presence from what I have heard. They are merely waiting for this to happen again in order to determine a better location. I would guess either frost quakes or fireworks as opposed to the alien theory or even attaching random guesses based on personal experience that is not explained by actual witnesses.

• Like 1

this story is beginning to generate alien occupation rumors

Seriously? Throw me some links if you have 'em. I don't doubt it, actually I'd like to read them. Is it local rumors, or speculative ATS/GLP kind of stuff?

So, no one else has got anything else than sonic booms? Seems like a closed case now. Still interesting, though.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

There are many cases of these booms heard, where aircrafts were not flying in the area, or of no record of earth quakes, some say fracking or ice quakes.I don't think anyone really knows.

I live in West Long Branch NJ and I heard one of the booms on the 16th of January, it resonated very loud and shook the floor of the house, I heard no sirens and I've never heard a thing about it but I know its tied to what's happening in Fairlawn, what's interesting is that there were other booms heard around the country on the same day. I don't pretend to know what made the noise but I wonder if it is subterranean.

• Like 1

It wouldn't necessarily be fun, but this story is beginning to generate alien occupation rumors and I recently read someone said the military or national guard were just dispatched to the area because of the stories. All of this is not true as police patrols were beefed up, but there is no military presence from what I have heard. They are merely waiting for this to happen again in order to determine a better location. I would guess either frost quakes or fireworks as opposed to the alien theory or even attaching random guesses based on personal experience that is not explained by actual witnesses.

Well Ive heard it said, never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :tu:

Edited by preacherman76

Supposedly, Nasa is saying these sounds occur all the time and they are coming from within the Earth. There is speculation that the sounds are either getting louder, or that sometimes, atmospheric conditions are operating in such a way as to amplify the sound so human ears can hear them.

Related article: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/53996/20150519/strange-trumpet-sounds-heard-over-u-s-canada-australia-other-countries-from-god-aliens-or-just-our-planet-videos.htm

Whatever it is, it has been going on for some time and not just in NJ but all over the US from reports I have read throughout the years. I can remember when I worked at a university in west TX and while we were there at work we heard a loud boom that rattled the windows and briefly shook the ground. The people outside didn't see any planes in the sky and it was a clear day. I can't rule out a tremor so who knows but a few people I worked with were from California and they said this wasn't like anything they ever experienced out there. This was back in 1998 or 1999. In fairly recent times, where I live, there have been some of those heard also without the ground shaking.

I still say there is no point in assuming that the mayor knows more than anyone else. The mayor confirms in the second article that PG&E confirms it is not blown transformers. They do not confirm that it is the construction going on at the site.

"Fair Lawn Mayor John Cosgrove confirmed PG&E had nothing to do with it," That statement is not the same as discussing only the transformers on site.

I did not see in any of the articles that the police chief thought it was a transformer at the plant.

What the articles do show is confusion about the location, and the description of the sounds.

I still find it highly unlikely that sonic booms would create such a small area of reports. While less likely I would say that frost quakes, or cryoseism, are probably to blame for the small area as well as the types of sounds reported in the area. The mayor and police chief have excluded a number of possibilities based on what I have read through a variety of sources. While the paranoia has quickly subsided about this story, sadly this area had to contend with bomb threats to their local schools on Monday and now this snowstorm so no one is really talking about the booms at this point. I'm not closing this case yet.

I live in West Long Branch NJ and I heard one of the booms on the 16th of January, it resonated very loud and shook the floor of the house, I heard no sirens and I've never heard a thing about it but I know its tied to what's happening in Fairlawn, what's interesting is that there were other booms heard around the country on the same day. I don't pretend to know what made the noise but I wonder if it is subterranean.

The USGS didn't show any activity on the 16th, so we can probably eliminate earthquakes. Not even a 1 registered. The nearest was a 3.0 in West Virginia a day later on the 17th.

There have been strong rumors circulating that the US military is building an underground network of tunnels, perhaps this might be the cause? Interconnected DUMBS as they are referred to.

Interesting that you state it shook the floor. If it were an atmospheric blast it would shake the rafters. Did you notice any random scattered roof shingles in the neighborhood following the boom? If it was powerful enough to shake the house and atmospheric in origin, you would expect some evidence of that sort. If not you may be right as to the subterranean causation.

How would you best describe the nature of the shaking? Left/right, uplift, depression, or combination thereof? If you can't remember, try to recall how the furniture was reacting, sliding around or bouncing?

Edited by Jungleboogie

http://www.aol.com/a...2&pLid=96736275

Jan 28

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Residents in New Jersey, New York and Connecticut reported feeling earthquake-like shaking on Thursday afternoon, but U.S. seismologists said the vibrations were likely the result of a sonic boom

It was not immediately clear what had caused the sonic boom, though some news reports suggested that military aircraft from McGuire Air Force Base, approximately 35 miles north of Hammonton, were the likely source.

The McGuire base said in a Twitter post around 3:30 p.m. that its training ranges were clear and that none of its aircraft are capable of creating sonic booms. In a subsequent post, the base said it was working with local authorities to determine a cause.

I don`t think they really know what causing these booms

Edited by docyabut2

I almost gave away the plot of a nice science fiction book I will probably never write.

It was the damned navy what done it.

Officials say sonic booms heard and felt along the coast from New Jersey to Connecticut were caused by military fighter jets conducting tests.

A Navy spokeswoman says an F-35C and F-18 from Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland, were conducting supersonic testing off the coast Thursday afternoon.

The F-35C has a top speed of nearly 1,200 mph.

http://6abc.com/news/navy-fighter-jets-caused-sonic-booms-along-nj-coast/1177618/