Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who Can Own Life?

jugoso

On Tuesday, attorneys for the largest agrochemical corporation in the world, Monsanto, will present arguments before the Supreme Court asserting the company's rights to the generations of seeds that naturally reproduce from its genetically modified strains. Bowman vs. Monsanto Co. will be decided based on the court's interpretation of a complex web of seed and plant patent law, but the case also reflects something much more basic: Should anyone, or any corporation, control a product of life?

The case is a remarkable reflection on recent fundamental changes in farming. In the 200-plus years since the founding of this country, and for millenniums before that, seeds have been part of the public domain — available for farmers to exchange, save, modify through plant breeding and replant. Through this process, farmers developed a diverse array of plants that could thrive in various geographies, soils, climates and ecosystems. But today this history of seeds is seemingly forgotten in light of a patent system that, since the mid-1980s, has allowed corporations to own products of life.

[Monsanto's] logic is troubling to many who point out that it is the nature of seeds and all living things, whether patented or not, to replicate. Monsanto's claim that it has rights over a self-replicating natural product should raise concern. Seeds, unlike computer chips, for example, are essential to life. If people are denied a computer chip, they don't go hungry. If people are denied seeds, the potential consequences are much more threatening.

http://www.commondre...ne/2013/02/19-6

http://www.commondre...ew/2013/02/19-8

Hmmmm.....I wonder who the Supreme Court will side with?? My bet is with the Monsanto.

What do you think?

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 2

I hope not. It will not reflect well on the Supreme Court if it does.

• Like 1

I hope not. It will not reflect well on the Supreme Court if it does.

Tp me, it seems obvious that the government puts corporate interests before private citizens. I have no reason to believe the Supreme Court will act any differently. This case has HUGE ramifications.

• Like 2

For those of us that are socially active it indeed does. Thanks for putting it on the radar.

I know Im going to heirloom seeds exclusively this year.

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 2

Tp me, it seems obvious that the government puts corporate interests before private citizens. I have no reason to believe the Supreme Court will act any differently. This case has HUGE ramifications.

Yeah you are right there.

Big money wins sadly and they have more of it. :td:

• Like 4

As I understand it the plants grown from these seeds are resistant to monsantos insecticide. In my opinion they owe it to the world as repentance for creating such a toxic insecticide.

hey-hey ho-ho GM crops have got to go. (repeat infinitum)

As I understand it the plants grown from these seeds are resistant to monsantos insecticide

That was the first GM added. They have "expanded" since then

Who can own life? Farmers. How dear they own land(s) on witch plants grow (be it GM, non-GM, organic, or conventional farming)?

On the serious note: Bowman was caught red-handed, simple. The same rules and laws apply to non-GM patented seeds as well. So whats all that fuss about?

Edited by bmk1245